** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

German Masters 2022 (including QFs)

Fader

We're straight into qualification for the German Masters today, with 8 matches being played throughout the day. It's a "first to 5" format.

2:30pm
McGill Vs Heathcote
Miah Vs O'Neill
Surety Vs Joyce
Yuelong Vs Devlin

7:00pm
Hugill Vs Taylor
Kleckers Vs Sijun
Maguire Vs Dale
Ford Vs O'Connor

First up, I have to take Heathcote to beat McGill. McGill is having a horrible start to a season. He actually boasts 2 4-0 wins over Heathcote and both were in 2021 with the most recent being in March but in this new season McGill has played 5 and lost 5. You can rule out the 3 Championship League matches but even then he has gone out in Round 1 in the last 2 tournaments against players like Lee Walker and Jianbo. They are players well beneath the calibre of Ant McGill. Heathcote has played 10 matches this season and won 4. You wouldn't say he is playing anything special but he's beaten players that you would expect him to (including Walker 4-3, who beat McGill 4-3 last week) at some point McGills form will turn around and it could well be today, but for the odds of 2/1 I'm happy to go with a couple of points on it.

I'll also take Miah to beat Jamie O'Neill. This could end up a right silly looking bet, but Jamie O'Neill has been so poor this season and Miah looks to be a man who is improving everytime I see him. Finally in the afternoon matches, I'm going have a punt on Devlin to beat Yuelong. Yuelong looked terrible against Jimmy Robertson at the Northern Ireland Open and on his day Devlin can cause some damage. He got Allen back to 3-2 at the Northern Ireland Open after going 3-0 down and he's pushed Stevens to a deciding frame.

evening preview to come....

3pts Miah to beat J.O'Neill evens betfred
2pts Heathcote to beat McGill 2/1 bet365
1pt Devlin to beat Yuelong 5/1 betfair

In the latter games, I will take Taylor to beat Hugill first up. Taylor is quite an underrated player really and has had some decent results over the last couple of years. He's already beaten a couple of old legends of the game in Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White this season and he's also pushed Murphy to a deciding leg at the Northern Ireland Open last week. I think he beats Ash Hugill, who I think is just abit too hot and cold. Hugill started the season really well and got to the semi-finals of the Championship League. He then beat Kyren Wilson at the British Open before going out to Hamilton. Since then though, 3 lost matches and all in deciding legs and one to youngster Wu Yize.

The Ford Vs O'Connor match should be an interesting one. I can't see that being a one-sided result and I think O'Connor has a chance but Ford made the Semi-finals of this event last year and he will be playing this with a need to keep ranking points. So despite a covid positive test, I can't take him on, here.

4pts A.Taylor to beat A.Hugill 3/4 888sport

5 hours ago, Fader said:

In the latter games, I will take Taylor to beat Hugill first up. Taylor is quite an underrated player really and has had some decent results over the last couple of years. He's already beaten a couple of old legends of the game in Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White this season and he's also pushed Murphy to a deciding leg at the Northern Ireland Open last week. I think he beats Ash Hugill, who I think is just abit too hot and cold. Hugill started the season really well and got to the semi-finals of the Championship League. He then beat Kyren Wilson at the British Open before going out to Hamilton. Since then though, 3 lost matches and all in deciding legs and one to youngster Wu Yize.

The Ford Vs O'Connor match should be an interesting one. I can't see that being a one-sided result and I think O'Connor has a chance but Ford made the Semi-finals of this event last year and he will be playing this with a need to keep ranking points. So despite a covid positive test, I can't take him on, here.

4pts A.Taylor to beat A.Hugill 3/4 888sport

Looking good so far!

Yeah, some weird Snooker in the morning session. Heathcote got it back to 2-2 after one of the most barmy frames I've ever seen and then let it slip. Miah was most frustrating though. Got in first 3 out of the first 4 frames and everytime he got into a commanding position, he choked. Atleast Taylor got a win, but a small defecit on the day. -3pts

Onto today's matches :

10am :
Bingyu Vs P.Lines
Williams Vs O.Lines
Junxu Vs Young
Xintong Vs Carrington

2.30pm :
Taylor Vs Ford
McGill Vs O'Neill
Sijun Vs Maguire
Yuelong Vs Surety

7pm :
G.Wilson Vs Burns
Boiko Vs Hang
J.Robertson Vs O'Donnell
K.Wilson Vs Si

Not a whole bunch of time to get this wrote up with Xintong Vs Carrington kicking off in an hour but the majority of the bets are in the 2.30/7pm matches. I expect Jimmy Robertson to continue his good form against O'Donnell. Robertson is hitting the balls very well at the moment and gave Trump some worries at times. I also like the look of Gary Wilson to beat the out-of-form Ian Burns. My main bet in that match is for Wilson to hit the -2.5 handicap with a 5-1/5-2 win but I think if he gets a good start there is a half chance of a whitewash today. This could look silly if he struggles :D

7pts J.Robertson to beat M.O'Donnell 4/7 paddypower
4pts G.Wilson (-2.5 frames) to beat I.Burns evens paddypower
1pt G.Wilson to beat I.Burns 5-0 13/2 paddypower
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1pt accy - Maguire (-1.5 frames) / J.Robertson (-1.5 frames) / G.Wilson (-2.5 frames) / Over 5.5 frames Xintong Vs Carrington 12/1 paddypower (money back if 1 loses)

German Masters Tips -3pts

Welcome to the forum, dcurry1. Would probably agree that Xintong beats Carrington but I went for the more "safe" option of the frames. I have a feeling both men will be abit scrappy but we'll see. Good luck

** just to clarify on my accy that it's over 7.5 frames and not over 5.5 frames in the Xintong/Carrington match **

Tomorrow's matches :

10am :
Hawkins Vs Selt
Steadman Vs Ng Yee
Perry Vs Jiankang
Georgiou Vs Donaldson

2.30pm :
Bingyu Vs Williams
G.Wilson Vs J.Robertson
K.Wilson Vs Hang

Junxu Vs Xintong

7.00pm :
Hill Vs Hamilton
Yang Vs Hendry
Trump Vs Pengfei
Guodong Vs D.Jones

Quite a trappy card tomorrow and I'm going to bite on a couple of them. I'm going to take a chance on both Selt to beat Hawkins and Jiankang to beat Perry. I think both Perry and Hawkins look a shade out of form and both Selt and Jiankang have enough about them to cause some problems for their opponents. Jiankang made the Last 16 of the British Open in August and only went out to Williams on a deciding leg. He led 2-1 before losing that 3-2.  He's had a couple of poor results since then (4-3 D.Jones / 4-2 Gould) early exits in tournaments but crucially they've played well and Jiankang gets a chance. Joe Perry's last 4 tournaments have been R1 exit to Hancorn (British Open), R1 exit to O.Lines (N.I Open), R1 exit to Vahedi (English Open) & a 4-1 win against Pagett. 

I suppose less likely is Selt to beat Hawkins but in a short format match they've played twice in 2021 and it's 1 for Selt and a 2-2 draw. Hawkins beat Selt at The Worlds but that's a long format and a match that means a whole lot more than The German Masters qualification. Indeed that 2-2 draw at the Championship League was not that long ago and since then Hawkins has lost to Brecel and Mark King (and beaten Boiko) but Selt's form is a hard one to be able to calculate. He had a decent British Open, getting to the Last 32. I'll give him a chance with a couple of points.

In the afternoon matches, I'm going to stick with Gary Wilson when he takes on Jimmy Robertson. I watched both matches and Gary Wilson was on fire whilst Jimmy Robertson was labored and it feels like he is coming to the end of his purple patch. That could be the utter boredom of playing MOD (35 seconds a shot) but either way, Gary Wilson is playing the better snooker at the moment.

I may add one or two more for the 7pm games tomorrow.

6pts G.Wilson to beat J.Robertson 4/6 paddypower
3pts Jiankang to beat Perry 5/2 paddypower
2pts Selt to beat Hawkins 7/4 paddypower
-------------------------------------------------
1pt accy - Jiankang (+2.5 frames), G.Wilson (-1.5 frames), Hamilton (-1.5 frames) & Xintong (-1.5 frames) 10/1 paddypower (money back if 1 loses)

Yeah, Gary doesn't look like he has turned up today. Still chances of money back on the accy and Jiankang beat Perry. I'm adding one for tonight and that's the youngstar Gao Yang to beat Stephen Hendry. Hendry has been whitewashed in half of the 4 matches that he's had this year and has hit one 50+ in the 4 matches that he's played. Yang is very young but he has such potential and I think he should be the favourite in that match.

5pts G.Yang to beat S.Hendry 6/5 betfred

Yang beats Hendry easily enough. Few early nerves or it could have been a whitewash. Jiankang also wins and thanks to 3/4 of the accy coming in, it's money back on that. Wilson was biggest disappointment for me, tonight. +4.5pts today. 

tomorrow's line up :

10am:
Woollaston Vs Anda
Dott Vs Jiahui
J.Wilson Vs Yize
Bingham Vs Brecel

2.30pm:
Trump Vs Hamilton
Guodong Vs Yang
Hawkins Vs Georgiou
Jiankang Vs Steadman

7pm:
Lichtenberg Vs Lam
Walden Vs Page
Brown Vs M.White
N.Robertson Vs Patrick

I think it's time that Woollaston gets a win tomorrow. He has Zhang Anda and the price is too short for me but he will go in an accy at the end of this preview. The two I will take tomorrow is Brecel to beat Bingham firstly. I see this as abit of a 50/50 match and so 6/4 on Brecel is just too big for me. The other bet I like is Jiankang to carry on his good form and go and beat Steadman. Steadman was pretty poor against Ng Yee but it could be this weird effect where men do very poorly against Woman in sports ? perhaps the pressure!. Yee should have won. 

4pts Brecel to beat Bingham 6/4 paddypower
3pts Jiankang to beat Steadman evens paddypower
1pt accy - Woollaston, Brecel, J.Brown & Jiankang 11/1 paddypower (money back if 1 loses)

German Masters Tips +28pts

59 minutes ago, Fader said:

Steadman was pretty poor against Ng Yee but it could be this weird effect where men do very poorly against Woman in sports ? perhaps the pressure!. Yee should have won. 

There's definitely something in that idea. It's as though they put all their focus on the idea that they have to win and what the fallout might be if they don't, to the detriment of playing their normal game which of course would probably see them winning comfortably more often than not. I can't explain it otherwise. Allen was horrendous against Evans and even though there were other issues at play I don't think it would have changed the fact that he struggled massively. Evans gave Murphy a hard time the other year as well.

Edited by Torque

22 minutes ago, Torque said:

There's definitely something in that idea. It's as though they put all their focus on the idea that they have to win and what the fallout might be if they don't, to the detriment of playing their normal game which of course would probably see them winning comfortably more often than not. I can't explain it otherwise. Allen was horrendous against Evans and even though there were other issues at play I don't think it would have changed the fact that he struggled massively. Evans gave Murphy a hard time the other year as well.

get it alot in Darts too. Sherrock is a good player but she was beating players with 85-89 averages alot of the time and if that was a man, that average doesn't win a whole lot of times.

4 minutes ago, Fader said:

get it alot in Darts too. Sherrock is a good player but she was beating players with 85-89 averages alot of the time and if that was a man, that average doesn't win a whole lot of times.

Yeah was gonna mention the darts as well. Still, I suppose it's something to possibly take advantage of in terms of handicaps or even outrights.

Easy win for Brecel but Jiankang, despite going 2-0 up loses the plot and get's beaten 5-2. +2pts today. Tempted to take Jordan Brown on a handicap tonight as I still don't think Michael White is playing well enough. He was beaten easily by Hendry and look how bad he was yesterday ? 

4pts J.Brown (-1.5 frames) to beat M. White evens paddypower 

A frustrating day really. Brown 2-0 up just thought he was Ronnie or Trump and going for anything. Next thing you know he's 4-2 down. Rubbish! -2pts for the day for me. Onto tomorrow. 

10am : 
Ajaib Vs Highfield
Lisowski Vs Pagett
McLeod Vs Ning
Un Nooh Vs Zhengyi

2.30pm :
M.White Vs N.Robertson
Lichtenberg Vs Walden
Yize Vs Brecel
Anda Vs Jiahui

7pm :
Carter Vs Milkins
Walker Vs Haotian
Allen Vs Burden
Akani Vs Judge

There isn't a whole lot I like tomorrow. Isn't a great deal of value out there. I'm going to take Fan Zhengyi to make the Un-Nooh match close. I was tempted to take Zhengyi at 4/1 as I think that price is way too big but they're offering +2.5 handicap at better than evens and so I'll go with that. Zhengyi is a good player and he scores well. Un-Nooh obviously also scores well but if he's not on it, he can be very hit and miss. I'll also take Jiahui to beat Zhang Anda. Anda got a few nice breaks against Woollaston but Woollaston was pathetic and his form is just nowhere at the moment. I think Jiahui will give Anda a completely different kind of game.

4pts F. Zhengyi (+2.5 frames) to beat T. Un-Nooh 5/4 888sport
6pts Jiahui to beat Anda 5/6 paddypower
1pt accy - Zhengyi (+1.5 frames) / Yize (+1.5 frames) / Jiahui & Walden 16/1 paddypower (money back if one loses) 

German Masters +26pts