** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Saturday September 25th

Cambridgeshire day and with the ground lightning fast on Friday conditions are likely to ride the same again even with the clerk of the course watering after racing. 

Newmarket 1.50

The Royal Lodge is a group 2 contest for 2 year old colts and geldings run over a mile and has attracted a small but select field of 7 this year. The form horse has to be the Andrew Balding trained  Masekela who’s last two runs have been boosted by Native Trail and Bayside Boy. He looks sure to run well with Oisin Murphy in the plate. The hard one to assess is the Charlie Appleby trained Coroebus who beat Saga on his debut at Newmarket and with that one winning well since is obviously smart. Royal Patronage is the other runner with a decent chance chasing a hat trick following wins at Epsom and in Group 3 company at York in the Acomb Stakes. The winner should come from this trio with slight preference for the potential of Coroebus who will be ridden by William Buick. 

COROEBUS 2 points win @ 5/2 Bet Victor

Haydock 2.05

Charlie Appleby saddles his lightly raced three year old Noble Dynasty here having got the call in a three way photograph at Thirsk on his handicap debut and with only a 2lb rise in the weights should be competitive although at around the 6/4 mark is easily opposed on the point of value. Top weight Nugget appeals more having shown some smart handicap form in the spring but has a 147 day absence to overcome and I’m looking further down the betting for an edge. Tim Easterby’s Cruyff Turn has had an excellent season winning four times latterly in a decent class 2 York handicap at their Ebor meeting. He didn’t get the run of the race when 4th at Ayr last Saturday when looking as though he was very much still in form and although he’s risen 21lb this season may be the value call today. 

CRUYFF TURN 1 point win @ 7/1 Boylesports

Newmarket 2.25

Thirteen have declared for the 6F Cheveley Park Stakes, a Group 1 contest for juvenile fillies. Ger Lyons sends over his unbeaten Juddmonte owned Sacred Bridge. She looked very good when winning in Group 3 company at The Curragh last month and could literally be anything. She’s the one they all have to beat though that is obviously reflected by her price at around 7/4. I was keen on Sandrine when she ran at York last time out in the Lowther but she fell out of the stalls and was always playing catch up in finishing a length runner up to Zain Claudette who re-opposes here. Sandrine was giving her rival 3lb that day and I confidently  expect Andrew Balding’s filly  to turn the tables on Ismail Mohammed’s runner today with better luck in running. Aidan O’Brien runs an interesting runner in Tenebrism who was last seen winning at Naas on soft ground over 5F in March. This is a big jump up in class but you can never discount a runner from the Ballydoyle trainer. At the prices I’ll take Sandrine each way to turn the tables on Zain Claudette and push Sacred Bridge all the way. It was interesting to hear Sandrine’s regular rider David Probert in a recent interview state that she would be the best horse he had ever ridden. 

SANDRINE 2 points each way @ 5/1 1/5th 1234 William Hill

Haydock 2.40

A typical 5F Haydock sprint with 10 going to post. The race looks very tricky to my eyes and stakes should certainly be kept small. A case can feasibly be made for every runner if you’re prepared to go back far enough and the tentative selection is the Michael Dods runner Jawwaal who’s been in decent form this summer winning twice at Doncaster off of marks of 92 and 94 and has been beaten just over a length on his last two starts in class 2 handicaps off of a mark of 99. Off of the same mark he should be involved in the finish with Paul Mulrennan who’s riding exceptionally well currently on board. 

JAWWAAL 1 point win @ 10/3 BetVictor

Newmarket 3.00

The third of three big two year races to be run this afternoon is the 6F Middle Park Stakes for colts only. Perfect Power comes here with the best form credentials having won Group 1 Prix Morny At Deauville last time with Asymmetric and Armor 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 lengths behind. Christophe Soumillon rode Richard Fahey’s Ardaad colt that day and is over from France to continue the association. The ground was on the slow side that day but he did win the Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot on good to firm so the different ground shouldn’t be an issue. He’ll be hard to beat if in the same form although the Morny form was slightly let down by the runner up Trident getting beat on Thursday at Newmarket. Go Bears Go maybe the best each way value having run Perfect Power to a head in the Norfolk at Royal Ascot  and won the Group 2 Railway Stakes since before a slightly below par 3rd in the Phoenix Stakes. 

PERFECT POWER 2 points win @ 2/1 Bet Victor

Newmarket 3.40

One of my favourite handicap’s of the season the Cambridgeshire Handicap has attracted a maximum field of 35 and with the stalls spread right across the track there is likely to be a draw bias. Looking at the previous runnings and the races this week it seems that the stands side have an advantage so those that have been drawn high may have an edge. The last five winners have been drawn 28, 29, 21, 29 and 25. I flagged up the chances of handicap snip Chichester on Monday when he was a whopping 80/1 chance and everything has gone well with him this week with Hollie Doyle booked but I’ve cooled a bit on him now as he’s drawn stall 10 which may not be ideal.  Maybe he’ll have enough in hand to win from the far side - let’s hope so. It wasn’t a shock to me that Frankie Dettori chose (and he has chosen I’m led to believe) Magical Morning over Uncle Bryn as he has the better form credentials and with a draw of 35 Magical Morning would have to be on anyone’s short list.  Sir Michael Stoute’s Astro King has a big race like this in him but is drawn in ‘no mans land’ in 17 but I still expect him to be competitive under Ryan Moore. The two that I’m backing to add to my ante post play on Chichester with all the information to hand are the lightly raced Saeed Bin Suroor trained Long Tradition who’s berthed in stall 37 back on this near side rail with Marco Ghiani on board. This is his handicap debut and smacks a bit of Real World in the Royal Hunt Cup when bang against a rail Ghiani booted the Godolphin horse home before going to better things. The other horse I want in my portfolio is last years winner Majestic Dawn, a natural front runner who made all off of a 10lb lower mark last year under Paul Hanagan on this near side and has again been lucky with the draw in stall 34. I expect him to get across to the rail and make a very good fist of repeating last years victory with Hanagan replaced by William Buick and with his trainers Paul and Oliver Cole in good form. 

CHICESTER 1/2 point each way @ 80/1 (advised Monday) Bet365  ¼ 1234

MAJESTIC DAWN 1 point each way @ 20/1 William Hill 1/5th 1234567

LONG TRADITION 1 point each way @ 14/1 William Hill 1/5th 1234567

2 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Cambridgeshire day and with the ground lightning fast on Friday conditions are likely to ride the same again even with the clerk of the course watering after racing. 

Newmarket 1.50

The Royal Lodge is a group 2 contest for 2 year old colts and geldings run over a mile and has attracted a small but select field of 7 this year. The form horse has to be the Andrew Balding trained  Masekela who’s last two runs have been boosted by Native Trail and Bayside Boy. He looks sure to run well with Oisin Murphy in the plate. The hard one to assess is the Charlie Appleby trained Coroebus who beat Saga on his debut at Newmarket and with that one winning well since is obviously smart. Royal Patronage is the other runner with a decent chance chasing a hat trick following wins at Epsom and in Group 3 company at York in the Acomb Stakes. The winner should come from this trio with slight preference for the potential of Coroebus who will be ridden by William Buick. 

Haydock 2.05

Charlie Appleby saddles his lightly raced three year old Noble Dynasty here having got the call in a three way photograph at Thirsk on his handicap debut and with only a 2lb rise in the weights should be competitive although at around the 6/4 mark is easily opposed on the point of value. Top weight Nugget appeals more having shown some smart handicap form in the spring but has a 147 day absence to overcome and I’m looking further down the betting for an edge. Tim Easterby’s Cruyff Turn has had an excellent season winning four times latterly in a decent class 2 York handicap at their Ebor meeting. He didn’t get the run of the race when 4th at Ayr last Saturday when looking as though he was very much still in form and although he’s risen 21lb this season may be the value call today. 

Newmarket 2.25

Thirteen have declared for the 6F Cheveley Park Stakes, a Group 1 contest for juvenile fillies. Ger Lyons sends over his unbeaten Juddmonte owned Sacred Bridge. She looked very good when winning in Group 3 company at The Curragh last month and could literally be anything. She’s the one they all have to beat though that is obviously reflected by her price at around 7/4. I was keen on Sandrine when she ran at York last time out in the Lowther but she fell out of the stalls and was always playing catch up in finishing a length runner up to Zain Claudette who re-opposes here. Sandrine was giving her rival 3lb that day and I confidently  expect Andrew Balding’s filly  to turn the tables on Ismail Mohammed’s runner today with better luck in running. Aidan O’Brien runs an interesting runner in Tenebrism who was last seen winning at Naas on soft ground over 5F in March. This is a big jump up in class but you can never discount a runner from the Ballydoyle trainer. At the prices I’ll take Sandrine each way to turn the tables on Zain Claudette and push Sacred Bridge all the way. It was interesting to hear Sandrine’s regular rider David Probert in a recent interview state that she would be the best horse he had ever ridden. 

Haydock 2.40

A typical 5F Haydock sprint with 10 going to post. The race looks very tricky to my eyes and stakes should certainly be kept small. A case can feasibly be made for every runner if you’re prepared to go back far enough and the tentative selection is the Michael Dods runner Jawwaal who’s been in decent form this summer winning twice at Doncaster off of marks of 92 and 94 and has been beaten just over a length on his last two starts in class 2 handicaps off of a mark of 99. Off of the same mark he should be involved in the finish with Paul Mulrennan who’s riding exceptionally well currently on board. 

Newmarket 3.00

The third of three big two year races to be run this afternoon is the 6F Middle Park Stakes for colts only. Perfect Power comes here with the best form credentials having won Group 1 Prix Morny At Deauville last time with Asymmetric and Armor 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 lengths behind. Christophe Soumillon rode Richard Fahey’s Ardaad colt that day and is over from France to continue the association. The ground was on the slow side that day but he did win the Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot on good to firm so the different ground shouldn’t be an issue. He’ll be hard to beat if in the same form although the Morny form was slightly let down by the runner up Trident getting beat on Thursday at Newmarket. Go Bears Go maybe the best each way value having run Perfect Power to a head in the Norfolk at Royal Ascot  and won the Group 2 Railway Stakes since before a slightly below par 3rd in the Phoenix Stakes. 

Newmarket 3.40

One of my favourite handicap’s of the season the Cambridgeshire Handicap has attracted a maximum field of 35 and with the stalls spread right across the track there is likely to be a draw bias. Looking at the previous runnings and the races this week it seems that the stands side have an advantage so those that have been drawn high may have an edge. The last five winners have been drawn 28, 29, 21, 29 and 25. I flagged up the chances of handicap snip Chichester on Monday when he was a whopping 80/1 chance and everything has gone well with him this week with Hollie Doyle booked but I’ve cooled a bit on him now as he’s drawn stall 10 which may not be ideal.  Maybe he’ll have enough in hand to win from the far side - let’s hope so. It wasn’t a shock to me that Frankie Dettori chose (and he has chosen I’m led to believe) Magical Morning over Uncle Bryn as he has the better form credentials and with a draw of 35 Magical Morning would have to be on anyone’s short list.  Sir Michael Stoute’s Astro King has a big race like this in him but is drawn in ‘no mans land’ in 17 but I still expect him to be competitive under Ryan Moore. The two that I’m backing to add to my ante post play on Chichester with all the information to hand are the lightly raced Saeed Bin Suroor trained Long Tradition who’s berthed in stall 37 back on this near side rail with Marco Ghiani on board. This is his handicap debut and smacks a bit of Real World in the Royal Hunt Cup when bang against a rail Ghiani booted the Godolphin horse home before going to better things. The other horse I want in my portfolio is last years winner Majestic Dawn, a natural front runner who made all off of a 10lb lower mark last year under Paul Hanagan on this near side and has again been lucky with the draw in stall 34. I expect him to get across to the rail and make a very good fist of repeating last years victory with Hanagan replaced by William Buick and with his trainers Paul and Oliver Cole in good form. 

Cracking write up as usual .

My 2 in the Cambridgeshire are 

Breath Caught 30/1 bet365 ( 6 places ) 

Anmaat 10/1 bet365 ( 5 places ) 

Both opposite sides of the course .

Final speed figures I will be publishing this flat season.

150 newmarket

1 royal patronage               122                 won           7/2

2 one for the gutter            121

3 coroebus                         118++            2nd           85/40

FC £10.39        EX £12.60

225 newmarket

1 sacred bridge                  125      flopped

2 zain cludette                     124      flopped

3 Sandrine                           124-     3rd                  3/1

Weird race Sandrine upheld the form but what happened? Looks like that rail is very fast but....

300 newmarket

1 armor                                128         3rd          9/1

2 perfect power                 127        won         11/4

2 caturra                              127

Cambridgeshire (already published elsewhere)

1 breath caught                   135           40/1            NR

2 chichester                        134           9/1

2 anmaat                             134           12/1             2nd

2 power of darkness          134           80/1 ew

Not really acceptable that group races and heritage H/caps (all day/week) are draw dependant at the UK's premier track. the ground was GF (as proofed by the race times) so you would expect it to have no variation unlike say soft ground where rain can get into the ground due to race traffic. Once again i think that watering has had an adverse effect. We should be talking about Horses not draw bias.

worth a look

450 newmarket   zabelle              20/1         lost

630 chelm           persian royal      2/1         crap

310 chest            flaming rib          3/1         won

Edited by Zilzalian
update

Not in any order and includes quite a lot of free bets

Justanotherbottle 9/2 405 Ripon

Ozymanidis 11/2 445 Curragh

Piffle 11/2 450 Newmarket

Straits of Moyle 7/2 310 Chester

Chichester 40/1 ew 340 Newmarket 

Coroebus 9/4 150 Newmarket (m/b 2nd)

225 Newmarket went a bit silly as ballsed up a free bet I didn't mean to use on Sandrine. 

Sandrine 4/1

Sacred Bridge 2/1 (m/b - 4th)

Double

205 Haydock Nugget & 225 Haymarket Zain Claudette 22/1 

Treble Newmarket ew

225  Desert Dreamer (4)

300 Caturra (3)

340 Anmaat (7)

Good luck all. 

BEST OF THE BEST SELECTIONS TODAY

B/FWD SEP -9.56 POINTS

Theses are not tips

1.00 Hd Smiling Jayne 2/1 (15/8 LN)  DTR                          Alt (3/1) steady

1.30 Hd Educator 5/4 steady                                             Alt (1) 12/1 (8/1 LN)

3.50 Hd Summers Knight 2/1 (5/2 LN)                               Alt (1) 3/1 (7/2 LN)

1.15 Nm Oheka 4/5 (evens LN)                                         Alt (5) 9/2 (6/1 LN)

2.25 Nm Sacred Bridge 2/1 steady  DTR                            Alt (13) 11/2 steady

1.10 List Chiricahua 5/4 steady                                         Alt (14) 9/2 (7/2 LN)

4.45 Curr She's In The Game 9/2 steady  DTR                   Alt (13) 12/1 steady

3.45 Ches Baryshinikov 3/1 steady                                   Alt (2) 15/2 steady

2.45 M/R Caramelised 8/11 (Evens LN) DTR                     Alt (5) 13/2 (5/1 LN)

5.35 M/R Ultimate Fame 1/1 (5/4 LN) DTR                       Alt (7) 11/2 (5/1 LN)

7.00 Chelm Roulston Scar 10/11 (8/13 LN) DTR               Alt (1) 6/4 (13/8 LN)

11 Selections from 60 races = 18.3% (quite poor for a Saturday)

Will be back later with book bets; need to do a bit more research

Mine's a double

Newmarket
3.00 Perfect Power 5/2

5.24 The Attorney 4/1

Haydock
3.15 Call Me Ginger 5/2

3.50 Summers Knight 2/1

Chester
3.45 Mr Excellency 15/4

4.55 Bookmark 7/4

Market Rasen
3.55 Prince Escalus 6/1

5.00 Low Profile 11/2

Ripon
4.05 Regional 3/1

4.40 Dreams Unwind 11/4

Chelmsford City
8.00 The Vegas Raider 16/5

8.30 La Roca Del Fuego 13/8

And a spare one I didn't want to leave out

Ripon 3.30 Marks Choice 5/2

Chelmsford City 7.30 Lion Ring 11/1

Good luck all CNBB.

Edited by cannotbebeat

Fastnet Crown @ 40/1 e-w  skybet 8 places

Eye-catching run lto in the Irish Cambridgeshire staying on from the rear all the way to the line giving hope he will get the extra furlong here. Will need luck in running if coming from the back again here, won over 6f in June and I'm hoping his speed and turn of foot will be a help to come through horses. 

Cambridgeshire trends. Nothing obvious stands out but I'll have a go.

Not Irish bred, 1 / 103. This reduces the field to 14.

Weight above 8st 10lbs, 2 / 112. This reduces the field to 8.

Drawn less than 21, 2 / 126. This leaves 3, LONG TRADITION (12/1), BALTIC BARON (80/1) and ANMAAT (11/2). 

Draw higher than 29, 0 from 34. This removes Long Tradition.

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

Cambridgeshire trends. Nothing obvious stands out but I'll have a go.

Not Irish bred, 1 / 103. This reduces the field to 14.

Weight above 8st 10lbs, 2 / 112. This reduces the field to 8.

Drawn less than 21, 2 / 126. This leaves 3, LONG TRADITION (12/1), BALTIC BARON (80/1) and ANMAAT (11/2). 

Draw higher than 29, 0 from 34. This removes Long Tradition.

Well mc going to have a crack at Baltic e/w I’ll put cheque in post ??

23 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Newmarket 1.50

Haydock 2.05

Newmarket 2.25

Haydock 2.40

Newmarket 3.00

Newmarket 3.40

Loss of 3 points on the day. Our big ante post gamble Chichester was slowly away and never got into it - that's racing as they say!

Three for tonight, small plays. Very slow start since returning but I'm confident it will turn around soon. Hopefully a fresh start on the 1st October.

1930 Chelmsford Cash Machine 6/1 e/w

2000 Chelmsford Mushirif 4/1

2030 Chelmsford Cable Guy 10/1 e/w

Edited by Barnes1882
Cash Machine was 6/1 & e/w