** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Non-League Predictions > 21st August

Darran

Barnet v Notts County (National League)
As we saw last week you can get some funny results on the opening day of the season and Notts County themselves were on the end of a poor loss on the opening day last season when losing to Dover. That was clearly a bit of a freak result given what the two teams ended up doing, but I have a feeling County could start their season off with a defeat again. County are clearly going to be going for promotion and I certainly think they will finish in the play-offs at the very least, but I think Barnet are way overpriced here so I am putting them up. Barnet should do much better this season than last and their squad looks pretty useful. As I mentioned in the ante-post preview I am not sure Harry Kewell is the right man for the job, but having Dean Brennan in the background is a big plus as he knows the non-league scene inside out. I think you will see Barnet be capable of beating the better sides in the league this season and I just can't make them as big as 15/4 so they are a value play for me.

Halifax v Maidenhead (National League)
Two sides who have very good managers, but also two sides who could be in for a season of struggle. On paper neither squad gets me that excited and I would have them both contenders to go down if it wasn't for their mangers who have done fantastically well. That does mean though that I don't think there is much between these two sides on paper, but the bookies have Halifax as clear favourites. That's not right in my view so I will take my chances on Maidenhead at a big price.

Wealdstone v Woking (National League)
Bookies have got this match very wrong in my view. Fairly obvious that I am going to be siding with Woking here given they are my outside bet as possible title winners. Granted that bet will probably lose, but we should be seeing a very different Woking from the team we saw coasting to the end of last season. Wealdstone were poor as well and they have lost their best player in Mendy to Boreham Wood. To me Wealdstone look destined to a relegation battle whereas Woking should be aiming for the play-offs in my view. I have Woking as clear favourites for this and hopefully they can get off to winning start.

Hemel Hempstead v Braintree (National League South)
The home side were a bit unlucky against Maidstone last week as they had the lead twice before going down 4-2. They are suffering big time with injuries though and have 12 players missing going into this match including half who would be in their strongest 11. That gives Braintree the edge for me and they are worth backing here. They did well against Oxford City on the opening day and might have held on for the victory if they hadn't had a man sent off with 25 minutes to go when they had a 1 goal advantage. That suggests to me they have enough about them to beat a weakened Hemel side.

East Thurrock v Bognor Regis (Isthmian Premier)
Not exactly ideal when your captain gets sent off after 25 minutes in the opening game of the season, but that is what happened to Bognor last week against Bishop's Stortford. To be fair they still had chances to win the game but it ended goalless. This should be a much easier task though as East Thurrock look set to be one of the worst teams in the league this season. Before the season got underway their manager spoke about how tough they would find it to stay up and that was their goal for this season. Bognor should be fighting it out at the other end of the table and should be able to pick up their first win of the season here.

Needham Market v Bromsgrove (Southern Premier Central)
It has been an awful start to the season so far for Bromsgrove having conceded 7 goals in two games and they look even worse than last season and even worse than I thought they might be. Needham Market did pretty well in the few games there was last season and I was pretty impressed with them when they played Gloucester in the FA Trophy. They should be capable of doing well again this season and really ought to be capable of beating a Bromsgrove side who look miles off the pace so far.

Poole v Farnborough (Southern Premier South)
I have to go with Farnborough again on Saturday. To go a goal down at Chesham and then run out 3-1 winners is pretty impressive and suggests to me that my ante-post tip on them could well go very close. As I said on Tuesday they should have won last Saturday and luckily for us they were able to turn shots into goals on Tuesday. Clearly this is another big test with Poole one of the title contenders, but there is no way they should be 16/5 to pick up another 3 points. Poole blew a 3-2 lead in injury time last weekend against Gosport although they did beat Tiverton on Tuesday night 2-1. The bookies are clearly still pricing the away side up as being awful, but as previously mentioned they look a pretty strong team this season and hopefully they can land the big odds once again here.

Barnet 1pt @ 15/4 with Bet365 (take up to 5/2)
Maidenhead 1pt @ 11/4 with Bet365 and William Hill (take up to 7/4)
Woking 2pts @ 31/20 with BetVictor (take up to 11/10)
Braintree 2pts @ 23/10 with Paddy Power and Betfair (take up to 7/4)
Bognor 3pts @ 11/10 with Bet365, Betfred and Betfair (take up to 4/6)
Needham Market 2.5pts @ 11/10 with Bet365 (take up to 4/5)
Farnborough 1pt @ 16/5 with Betfair (take up to 7/4)

Agree 100 per cent with Needham Market, shame the price has gone from 5-4 to 4-6. The start of the season and the bookies haven't got a clue really until form patterns emerge. I would take Needham minus 1 but can't find any markets at the minute 

I was liking the look of Hayes and Yeading 11-10 at Yate, they've scored 9 goals in their first two games. Also South Shields 10-11 at Witton, they've won both games comfortably so far and as Darran said in the ante posts strong favourites for the league. 

10 minutes ago, bromsgrovegreen said:

Agree 100 per cent with Needham Market, shame the price has gone from 5-4 to 4-6. The start of the season and the bookies haven't got a clue really until form patterns emerge. I would take Needham minus 1 but can't find any markets at the minute 

If you can get on with Bet 365 their Alternative Asian handicap market has Needham Market  -1.5 at 2.675 and -2 at 4.1.

Was half-expecting Darren to put up Gloucester given York's depleted defence which was certainly quite evident in their surprise home defeat to Kidderminster last weekend. I thought 2/1 was pretty generous for the Tigers.

I've actually backed Gloucester to score over 2.5 goals at 11/2 (skybet) and have sold the time of their 2nd goal at 77.5 (Sporting Index).

2 minutes ago, Labrador said:

If you can get on with Bet 365 their Alternative Asian handicap market has Needham Market  -1.5 at 2.675 and -2 at 4.1.

Was half-expecting Darren to put up Gloucester given York's depleted defence which was certainly quite evident in their surprise home defeat to Kidderminster last weekend. I thought 2/1 was pretty generous for the Tigers.

I've actually backed Gloucester to score over 2.5 goals at 11/2 (skybet) and have sold the time of their 2nd goal at 77.5 (Sporting Index).

Cheers, 

I'll have a look ?

2 hours ago, Labrador said:

We only have one striker and have players missing ourselves. Southport battered us in the 2nd half last week and should have won. One plus is it’s our first league game in the new ground with a crowd and 2/1 is probably on the big side but like I say we don’t have our strongest line up out either.

23 hours ago, Darran said:
Ta mate, just did the one pointers since they were available at the suggested prices still. Tempted to double up on the 2 winners, given the "minimum price" advice, but didn't unfortunately.

Barnet 1pt @ 15/4 with Bet365 (take up to 5/2)
Maidenhead 1pt @ 11/4 with Bet365 and William Hill (take up to 7/4)
Woking 2pts @ 31/20 with BetVictor (take up to 11/10)
Braintree 2pts @ 23/10 with Paddy Power and Betfair (take up to 7/4)
Bognor 3pts @ 11/10 with Bet365, Betfred and Betfair (take up to 4/6)
Needham Market 2.5pts @ 11/10 with Bet365 (take up to 4/5)
Farnborough 1pt @ 16/5 with Betfair (take up to 7/4)