Announcements
** November Poker League Result : 1st ian309, 2nd juanmoment, 3rd McG **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st Soi Bongkot, 2nd fischer21, 3rd chillymonster, 4th Pempi, 5th patriciamarc **
** October Naps Competition Result: 1st sirspread, 2nd kenisbusy, 3rd Artie77, 4th Mick33. KO Cup Winner: The Equaliser, Most Winners: CS333 **

Fernandez finally runs out of lives. Raducanu played really well but at the same time if you're one of the top 10 that Fernandez beat on the way to the final you must be feeling a bit sheepish right now. Raducanu beat Fernandez with something to spare where the top tenners all failed.

6 hours ago, Torque said:

Fernandez finally runs out of lives. Raducanu played really well but at the same time if you're one of the top 10 that Fernandez beat on the way to the final you must be feeling a bit sheepish right now. Raducanu beat Fernandez with something to spare where the top tenners all failed.

Yep. All the players who Leylah beat should be ashamed, despite the fact that all they were just a few points from winning the match. Players as Sakkari or Bencic, who clearly showed a worse version and were not even close from winning a single set, can be really proud of her run here 😕

During the qualifying I already posted here that I wouldn't be surprised to see Raducanu causing an impact in the main draw, but winning the whole thing without dropping a single set it's something I wasn't expecting 😆

Finally, I would like to post a few points about why all this has happened. It's something that we all already know, but I think that it's important to remark it again.

First of all, It's never easy for a Top player having to face an in-form young talent. The Top player must win, so the pressure will be always on her. On the other hand, the young player has nothing to lose. Just take a look at how Leylah was acting during all those matches against the top players. She was enjoying those matches, she was constantly smiling at the end of the points, even during the most crucial moments of the match. On the other hand, the top players' faces were reflecting concern. The fact that Leylah didn't show the same "enjoyment" when she was playing against Emma just proves that I'm right. 

Secondly. It's very well known that in the WTA there are no dominant players right now. The Williams sisters were the last players who dominated the WTA. If we add that all these new generation of players are big hitters with a really offensive but also consistent mindset, we get a circuit in which any player who comes from the nowhere, can upset a top player. Players as Ostapenko, Kenin, Andreescu and Raducanu have won a GS, coming from the nowhere. 

Thirdly. Do not forget that in women's tennis, all GS matches are played in a best-of-three format, and that only add more pressure to the favorites. In men's tennis, if you lose a set there's nothing to be worried about cause your still have a big margin to react. In women's tennis, if you lose the first set you have motives to be worried, cause you are only 1 set away from losing the match.

Very interesting indeed!

I'm obviously happy that my bet went in quite comfortably, not sure what's there to go for today, though. I don't really see an edge anywhere. I backed Medvedev in the Aussie Open finals and was disappointed. Doing the same here looks obvious, but I have a feeling the result could be the same.

It's arguably the biggest match for Djokovic of this entire season and he obviously has what it takes to win or even crush the Russian. He wasn't anywhere near his best against Zverev and he hasn't hit anything great so far in this event at all, but he has it and he can produce it in the finals. Medvedev still has some questions marks hanging over himself when it comes to GS finals, after all. With that, I just hope we'll get a good match. Djokovic 3-1 would be my tip, but I don't see anything worth betting.

3 hours ago, Bus _ankers said:

I think that I too probably backed Medvedev for the Australian Open final, but I don’t think that should put us off doing the same here.

I can’t find too many reasons to think that Djokovic will win this - obviously his greatness and his name alone are reasons enough - however I think there are many factors in Medvedev’s favour:

Medvedev is the best hard court player in the world. Djokovic may still be the best overall, across all surfaces, but I think that Medvedev has taken Djokovic’s status as the best player on the hard courts.

Djokovic has struggled a lot this tournament, and has lost six sets in six matches (compared to Medvedev’s one set lost), with several of those sets dropped by Djokovic against players from way down the rankings.

Which, following on from that, means Djokovic has spent a huge amount of time more on court. This hasn’t always hindered him in the past, but I think it might come into play here, should the match be a long one.

On top of that, Djokovic must be fatigued from the year as a whole, and especially the French Open/Wimbledon/Olympics/US Open recent run. I don’t see how he can have enough left in the tank to compete with Medvedev, given the energy that Djokovic has spent over the past three months, across various continents and surfaces, with little time to recover.

The weight of the occasion, and what is on the line, not just the calendar Grand Slam, but becoming the first man in history to go past 20 singles Grand Slams, will surely also be a massive burden. No man has achieved the calendar ‘Slam, or even really come close to it, since the 1960s, because it is so tricky to do. I think Djokovic will also come up short here.

Yesterday, I fancied Medvedev strongly, however I think I will probably take Medvedev to win but also have a bet on Djokovic to win 3-2, as cover. I’d be very surprised to see Medvedev end up with less than two sets here, and at better than even money, I think this is a gift, and yet another example in recent years of the bookies being a bit stuck in the past with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, and the odds not reflecting the fact that they are nowhere near as dominant as they once were.

You have said it all. I fancy Medvedev even more now as i notice that he has now shortened a bit on Paddypower. Even if the opponent was not Medvedev, it will still pay largely to back the occasion beating Djokovic. For Medvedev, he seems to have come to claim his season moving up the gears nicely

Seems that the era of the big 4 is going to end slowly but certainly. Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray.....

They will continue of course to be in courts, but none of them is unbeatable any more. And we don't know for how long Federer will be with us. Also we don't know how Nadal will react if loses for second time in a row the French open next year. ...

Yeah, of course I meant it only in relationship with the big achievement.

Thanks to this year, it'd be a shock not to see Djokovic finishing with the most GS of the big three. Federer is done, Nadal can win one or two I'd say at most, maybe just one, Djokovic should have a legitimate shot at winning all four next year. Not saying that he'll win all four, of course, that's almost definitely not going to happen, but - if healthy and fine - he'll be among the top 3 favorites for all of them. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get at least one next year.

cmon guys i think you a little over-reacting about nole here.

this year he demolished everyone everywhere when he is fully fit. something happened to him in the olympics and he wasn't at his best even when beating zverev in the semis, he did just enough and yesterday obviously he wasn't at his full capacity.

i think next year he really has a shot at getting all 4. he will just focus on grand slams no olympics or anything. probably no covid restrictions and full crowd. now he has the experience of this pressure as well. we all know how crazy these 3 players are and nole is the most freak one.

everyone seems to forget last 10 years in one match. he will be ruthless in 2022 just wait.

20 hours ago, Bus _ankers said:

Maybe you’ve worded that badly, but I don’t think that’s a very fair way to put it!

His endeavours so far this year certainly haven’t gone to waste, as he has won 3 Grand Slams, AND produced a remarkable performance to beat Nadal at the French Open, which was effectively worth another Grand Slam in the race to finish their careers with the most ever. So, an effective four Grand Slam swing in his favour, is certainly not a year gone to waste, despite missing out on a couple of even greater, unique achievements.

I can’t believe that Medvedev is available at 5/1 for the Australian Open. I thought that he would be less than half that price. Surely there will come a point, either pre-tournament, or towards the latter stages of that tournament when that price looks very good value indeed. Can you see any reason not to lump on that price just now, while it still lasts? Even adding Federer, Nadal and Thiem to the field, and adding Tsitsipas to the latter stages of the tournament, I think I’d still be delighted to be on Medvedev at 5/1. As mentioned in my final preview, I think he’s the best hard court player in the world. A refreshed Djokovic will be a huge contender, but 5/1 is still massive value, as you’d anticipate a repeat of the last two finals at hard court ‘Slams, between Djokovic and Medvedev, at which stage, the odds would be close to 50/50, if not slightly favouring Medvedev.

I personally don't expect anything important by Steve Tsitsyrgios or Stefanos Tsitsipas if he doesn't change his attitude. It is unthinkable what he has done against the legend player Murray. Please come in the position of Murray. To wait 8 minutes Tsitsyrgios to return from the toilet! Tsitsyrgios went to the toilet and he returned after 8 minutes  just to hold the momentum of Murray. He was not at his house to stay 8 minutes in the toilet. And nobody spends 8 minutes in any toilet private or public. This is big bullshit. And his ridiculous excuse is that 'he didn't break any law'!