** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - August 16 - August 22

• 3 weeks later...

Diego Schwartzman to beat Daniel Evans at 1.60 with Pinnacle

We saw Evans self-destruct completely against Bublik and perhaps he really isn't fit to play on the top level after those Covid issues. Diego isn't the right match-up either if you want to run as little as possible. He can prolong the rallies and make the game physical, which is presumably what Evans doesn't want to face at the moment. The loss against RBA wasn't ideal, but it did at least show that he can play a long match without any difficulties.

Gael Monfils to beat Dusan Lajovic at 1.70 with Pinnacle

Lajovic was gifted the wins last week, more or less. Ruusuvori should've beaten him and then his luck ran out against Ruud, who had very little issues, I watched that match. Monfils has been on an upward curve since returning and I fancy him more than the odds here. 

Hailey Baptiste (+3.5) to beat Clara Tauson at 1.93 with Pinnacle

Baptiste looked good to me against Kovinic yesterday and she's been progressing well so far this season. Not much hype about her, but her last two losses were only against Kenin and Pegula when she was injured, so nothing to be ashamed of. Tauson seems to be slowing down, on the other hand, so perhaps it's the right time to go against her.

I watched Halep limp past Magda Linette yesterday and she was really weak. The rain really helped, as she had been zapped in the second set, and it let her reset completely. Linette had something like 15 break points against Halep and won just 2. It was ridiculous!

Pegula coming off a serious win over Camilia Giorgi  ... 6-2 6-2 is a pounding,  though somewhat expected due to fatigue from Giorgi winning and beating Pegula, in the final of the Tournament the week before. Pegula at the Canadian was super good, winning 4 three setters against excellent players. She is mentally strong and fit, while Halep is undercooked and just coming back. No contest!

I am not keen to back low priced favs in tennis, but I'll make an exception for French open champion, Barbora Krejcikova. She is and will be a terminator in tennis for a good few years. Got so much game and basically invincible against players ranked (51+). In the last year played 22 won 21. Banker against Yastremska  today.

My third pick of the day is Jennifer Brady, playing Jelena Ostepenko. Ostepenko had a bad loss at the Canadian Open (6-1 6-3 from Siniakova). Brady was the Australian open finalist this year, so she plays well on hard court. Key here is that she is playing on home soil, and is used to the hot weather (shes from Pennsylvania which is pretty close to Ohio). Not so hot today, but the clammy humidity is overpowering (and I say that as a South African and we have hot weather too).

I am also prepared to have a relatively small bet on Heather Watson to win against Ashley Barty. Barty is probably undercoooked and under prepared. Loooooong flight, quarantine, huge pain in the buttock ! Watson has already played 3 matches here, winning two qualifiers and a main draw. There is simply no practice like match practice and at odds close to 4.8 to 1, def worth a gamble.

My last pick (that I'll share:) is Cori Gauff to beat Naiomi Osaka. Osaka is in a fragile place at the moment. Last match before this losing at the Olympics, early? If Gauff can just keep her composure she wins this.

In the men's I like both Opelka and Isner. Will take them as single bets, both equal stakes. Maybe both win, but probable that one of them wins today. I really don't think they both lose today. One winner = PROFIT.

Opelka has a really strange game. At 6 feet 11 he is a giant amongst the giants. For a big guy his baseline to net movement is exceptional.  

Edited by neilovan

10 hours ago, neilovan said:

I watched Halep limp past Magda Linette yesterday and she was really weak. The rain really helped, as she had been zapped in the second set, and it let her reset completely. Linette had something like 15 break points against Halep and won just 2. It was ridiculous!

Pegula coming off a serious win over Camilia Giorgi  ... 6-2 6-2 is a pounding,  though somewhat expected due to fatigue from Giorgi winning and beating Pegula, in the final of the Tournament the week before. Pegula at the Canadian was super good, winning 4 three setters against excellent players. She is mentally strong and fit, while Halep is undercooked and just coming back. No contest!

I am not keen to back low priced favs in tennis, but I'll make an exception for French open champion, Barbora Krejcikova. She is and will be a terminator in tennis for a good few years. Got so much game and basically invincible against players ranked (51+). In the last year played 22 won 21. Banker against Yastremska  today.

My third pick of the day is Jennifer Brady, playing Jelena Ostepenko. Ostepenko had a bad loss at the Canadian Open (6-1 6-3 from Siniakova). Brady was the Australian open finalist this year, so she plays well on hard court. Key here is that she is playing on home soil, and is used to the hot weather (shes from Pennsylvania which is pretty close to Ohio). Not so hot today, but the clammy humidity is overpowering (and I say that as a South African and we have hot weather too).

I am also prepared to have a relatively small bet on Heather Watson to win against Ashley Barty. Barty is probably undercoooked and under prepared. Loooooong flight, quarantine, huge pain in the buttock ! Watson has already played 3 matches here, winning two qualifiers and a main draw. There is simply no practice like match practice and at odds close to 4.8 to 1, def worth a gamble.

My last pick (that I'll share:) is Cori Gauff to beat Naiomi Osaka. Osaka is in a fragile place at the moment. Last match before this losing at the Olympics, early? If Gauff can just keep her composure she wins this.

In the men's I like both Opelka and Isner. Will take them as single bets, both equal stakes. Maybe both win, but probable that one of them wins today. I really don't think they both lose today. One winner = PROFIT.

Opelka has a really strange game. At 6 feet 11 he is a giant amongst the giants. For a big guy his baseline to net movement is exceptional.  

Can't catch a break all day. Gauff blew it, Watson just not able to get over the line. Opelka lost in final set tie breaker, and my one (current) bet winning retires. Interesting to see Fognini lose (who was 3 to 10). Now Halep withdraws and gives a walkover. Seriously just unreal.

Edited by neilovan

Jessica Pegula to beat Karolina Pliskova at 2.11 with Pinnacle

This match-up has always been in favour of Pegula, she's just moving well enough to outrun Pliskova and has enough power to stay with her as well. The 4-0 record speaks volumes and, even though Pliskova has improved recently, I don't think it's enough for Pegula to be 2.11.

1 hour ago, CzechPunter said:

Jessica Pegula to beat Karolina Pliskova at 2.11 with Pinnacle

This match-up has always been in favour of Pegula, she's just moving well enough to outrun Pliskova and has enough power to stay with her as well. The 4-0 record speaks volumes and, even though Pliskova has improved recently, I don't think it's enough for Pegula to be 2.11.

the odds are so strange so high on Pegula, like the bookies want us to bet on her , the H2H is 4-0 for Pegula with 8 sets won and 1 lost , and all matches in 2021 so super recent and super relevant, not dating back to several years ago which would be irrelevant, anyway at this high odds i'll also take her , good luck to us.

Monfils vs Rublev

It has to be fair to note that Monfils is really at the end of his career playing husband/end-of-career tennis.....not without a great deal of inconsistency too. I also know that when he is in the zone he can beat any body. Rublev on the other hand seems to have cooled down and departed his invinsible mode making him a bit more human. The h2h is 1-0 Monfils and i am not bothered that it was played sometime ago. I just feel that Monfils last 4 or 5 matches is indicative of some real form brewing again. Furthermore Rublev stuck on 3/10 is a positive green light to play Monfils. To be very safe, Monfils to win a set and much more. Verdict!

Edited by liquidglass

Does anyone have any thoughts about todays tennis from WTA Chicago and ATP Winston Salem? First round starts in both tournaments today.

Edit: I would like to have some discussion about next weeks WTA and ATP.

Edited by four-leaf
Added text

And what do you think @four-leaf?

Andrey Rublev (+1.5 sets) to beat Alexander Zverev at 1.80 with Pinnacle

Fancy Rublev to do some damage here. Zverev should be at least a bit tired from the epic yesterday and he's not as better as the odds suggest imo. Sure, Zverev has been very impressive in recent months, especially with the Olympics, but he's bound to run into some issues at some point and this looks like a good spot to me. Rublev should like not having any pressure.

Marcos Giron to beat Facundo Bagnis at 1.29 with Pinnacle

Arthur Rinderknech - Gilles Simon over 21 games at 1.70 with Pinnacle

M. Giron - F. Bagnis

Marcos Giron is a 27 years old player, he only has records from outside hard court, but not much. In 2019 he won Houston and also Orlando. He had a great performance at the Australian Open, he sqeezed Alex Zverev, but couldn't beat him. He's a fast and quick, he can catch difficult balls. He mostly hits backhand strokes, he tries to exhaust his opponents, and he doesn't miss a single oppurtunity. Giron isn't known for his big serves, rather for his preserving game and for how quick he is.

Bagnis is a 31 years old argentinian clay swag, he only feels comfortable on this type of court. He won 11 CH-tournaments, but he hasn't got any ATP wins. Earlier this year he got himself into a semi-final in Cordoba, where he lost against Ramos Vinolas. This game should be very smooth for Giron.

A. Rinderknech - Gil. Simon

Rinderknech wasn't a serius player until 2019. Until the age of 24 he only got wins in ITF-tournaments, nowhere else, which means he was under the middle-class in tennis. But in 2020 and 2021 he went trough a big transformation, when he was 26. He won three CH-tournaments, Both of them in inside hard court. He was a pretty good server, now a better player. This year he started to show great performances on clay court. In Gstaad he played a quarter-final, in Bastaad a quarter final too, he beat Bautista-Agut, Millman and Delbonis. The form's not bad, he went trough a transformation, but after all of that, he is still a little below the middle-class player.

Gilles Simon is a great player, in his best years he was on the list of theTOP10 players. He's a universal tennis player, he won ATP-tournaments both of clay and hard courts. He has 14 ATP and 6 CH-tournament wins. But Simon's 36 years old, and ages are a huge handicap on clay court. Simon's a higher category player, and Rinderknech won't easily beat him(if he even beats Simon), and this shouldn't be a very smooth match. The pontency is in the number of games.

Edited by Hiro

7 hours ago, Hiro said:

M. Giron - F. Bagnis

Marcos Giron is a 27 years old player, he only has records from outside hard court, but not much. In 2019 he won Houston and also Orlando. He had a great performance at the Australian Open, he sqeezed Alex Zverev, but couldn't beat him. He's a fast and quick, he can catch difficult balls. He mostly hits backhand strokes, he tries to exhaust his opponents, and he doesn't miss a single oppurtunity. Giron isn't known for his big serves, rather for his preserving game and for how quick he is.

Bagnis is a 31 years old argentinian clay swag, he only feels comfortable on this type of court. He won 11 CH-tournaments, but he hasn't got any ATP wins. Earlier this year he got himself into a semi-final in Cordoba, where he lost against Ramos Vinolas. This game should be very smooth for Giron.

Rinderknech wasn't a serius player until 2019. Until the age of 24 he only got wins in ITF-tournaments, nowhere else, which means he was under the middle-class in tennis. But in 2020 and 2021 he went trough a big transformation, when he was 26. He won three CH-tournaments, Both of them in inside hard court. He was a pretty good server, now a better player. This year he started to show great performances on clay court. In Gstaad he played a quarter-final, in Bastaad a quarter final too, he beat Bautista-Agut, Millman and Delbonis. The form's not bad, he went trough a transformation, but after all of that, he is still a little below the middle-class player.

Gilles Simon is a great player, in his best years he was on the list of theTOP10 players. He's a universal tennis player, he won ATP-tournaments both of clay and hard courts. He has 14 ATP and 6 CH-tournament wins. But Simon's 36 years old, and ages are a huge handicap on clay court. Simon's a higher category player, and Rinderknech won't easily beat him(if he even beats Simon), and this shouldn't be a very smooth match. The pontency is in the number of games.

Thanks @Hiro for your views..

8 hours ago, Hiro said:

M. Giron - F. Bagnis

Don´t forget this is pre-grand slam tournament, where some players will save their power for US Open.. so 1st round is just guessing, you will see who means seriously after 2 or 3 matches. GIron has very low odds, if you are sure than take him with some HC. Second bet.. in my opinion this goes in over only if there will be 3 sets. Rinderknech is miles above Simon this year, if his serve will work Simon has no chances. Simon can only count on bad day form and many UE from Rinderknech, also thight sets are not very likely between that kinf of player profiles.  Good luck.

42 minutes ago, mark22 said:

Don´t forget this is pre-grand slam tournament, where some players will save their power for US Open.. so 1st round is just guessing, you will see who means seriously after 2 or 3 matches. GIron has very low odds, if you are sure than take him with some HC. Second bet.. in my opinion this goes in over only if there will be 3 sets. Rinderknech is miles above Simon this year, if his serve will work Simon has no chances. Simon can only count on bad day form and many UE from Rinderknech, also thight sets are not very likely between that kinf of player profiles.  Good luck.

Thank you for joining the discussion and charing your view. I appreciate it.