** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Staking Systems for Backing

Just curious, and this is primarily a query for people with a few years experience in this world - have you found a progressive backing staking system that is successful over the longer term other than flat stakes? Take say where a bank can be up and down in the short term but over the longer term its up; using a fixed percentage of a bank balance is great where the bank growth is steady and consistent (you are compounding your winnings etc) but if you use this and you suffer a bad run you can end up staking very low amounts and then when the selections turn your stakes are too low to fully recover from that poor run. Again, just curious, there's obviously no "one size fits all" but I'd be interested to share some thoughts on the same for the benefit of all.

41 minutes ago, The Accountant said:

Just curious, and this is primarily a query for people with a few years experience in this world - have you found a progressive backing staking system that is successful over the longer term other than flat stakes? Take say where a bank can be up and down in the short term but over the longer term its up; using a fixed percentage of a bank balance is great where the bank growth is steady and consistent (you are compounding your winnings etc) but if you use this and you suffer a bad run you can end up staking very low amounts and then when the selections turn your stakes are too low to fully recover from that poor run. Again, just curious, there's obviously no "one size fits all" but I'd be interested to share some thoughts on the same for the benefit of all.

even 40% strike rate systems can have longer losing runs id side with level stakes at 0.5% of bank until reaches certain point... say £10k to £15k then go to 0.5% of the new bank £15k which is 50% more but u have sufficient cover for a bad run. if u know historically u wont hit a loser more than 9 and it only happens once every hundred thousand etc then maybe a more progressive staking is worth while to increase profits from the knowledge that u will not hit the 10th loser. not martingale but perhaps a small increase in stakes to bet 9 as part if a recovery of initial stakes.

Edited by Wildgarden

54 minutes ago, The Accountant said:

I'd say the best way to solve this problem is to stake to a bank high, and only lower stakes when a percentage of the bank is lost. That percentage should be determined by the expected longest losing run of the bets being placed.

1 hour ago, The Accountant said:

Interesting, thanks for that. As I said just curious.

I would typically build a bank from A to B using the same stake (say 1% of starting bank, €100 on a €10,000 bank). Then reassess when at point B. Usually take some profit then and restart with 1% of the new bank; set a new target bank and go again.

1% a lot if do 20 picks a day