** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Copa America 2021 3rd Place Play-Off/ Final Predictions > Jul 10th & 11th

Colombia vs Peru

The Copa America 2021 3rd Place Play-Off is heading our way at 1am BST on Saturday morning when Colombia face Peru at the Estadio Nacional Mane Garrincha in Brasilia. These two sides came so close to over-achieving by reaching the final but unfortunately fell just short. Now, they have a chance to end their tournament on a high by sealing the third place spot.

Colombia have progressed through this tournament in an unfashionable manner. Head coach Reinaldo Rueda has only seen his team seal a victory within 90 minutes in 1 of their last 7 competitive matches without such a win coming in their last 5 matches at this tournament. La Tricolor will be looking to put the previous meeting between these two sides in this tournament behind them which saw Peru prevail as 2-1 winners in their Group B encounter. The team can gain heart from the fact they were undoubtedly the better team in that game and had also beaten Peru convincingly by a 3-0 score-line just 2 weeks prior in the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

Peru were unable to recreate the ecstasy of two years ago when they reached the Copa America 2019 Final. Ricardo Gareca's side came into the tournament out of form but have turned things around over the past month. Los Incas have perhaps been unfortunate that the only 2 games they have lost at this tournament have both come against Brazil. The team has remained undefeated against a number of difficult opponents including Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Paraguay. The big question is whether they can get a second successive win against Colombia for the first time since 1997 to finish in third?

If you look at the statistics then it doesn't exactly look great for Peru in terms of head-to-head facts with Colombia. Yes, Peru did win the most recent encounter but even then they were arguably fortunate to do so. That win was the first victory Peru have earned against Colombia in the last 11 meetings. I just haven't been impressed by Colombia in this tournament though. Can they get the win over Peru here? I'm not convinced. Peru certainly seem worth a punt for a double chance.

Peru Double Chance @ 2.05 with Sport Nation

BTTS @ 1.90 with Bet365

Brazil

Their aim at remaining champion this season. They have home advantage. But there is a bad news that Gabriel Fernando de Jesus is suspend due to red card, which weakens their strength. Luckily their core, Neymar is in good condition. Whether Brazil play well in upcoming game depends on Neymar.

Argentina

Lionel Andres Messi is 35 years old. It is the sixth time he plays for the Tournament and perhaps it is the last time. Undoubtedly he wants a champion to prove himself. There is another big-money player in the team called Lautaro, who values the same as Messi. It is believed that Argentina will show their their great competitiveness in upcoming game with the help of them.

Verdict:

Neither of them take the upper hand in past head-to-head clashes. Brazil are slightly better than Argentina because they have one more victory in the past. Besides, Brazil have home advantage. Brazil are more likely to win in upcoming game.

1x2 Pick: 1

Argentina vs Brazil

The Copa America 2021 Final is coming up at 1am BST on Sunday morning and it will be contested between the two biggest names in South American football as Argentina play Brazil at the Estadio do Maracana in Rio de Janeiro. Which one of these two bitter footballing rivals will come out on top as the team who had this tournament taken away from them aim to deny the new hosts a home victory.

Argentina have looked like the one team that could stop Brazil lifting this trophy on home soil and this will be the true test of their qualities. Head coach Lionel Scaloni has now led his team to an unbeaten run of 19 matches as they have navigated their way past Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Colombia to reach this stage. La Albiceleste have now participated in four of the previous six Copa America finals but they have also lost all four of those games. It is three clean sheets in the last 5 games for Argentina and they'll need to get another one here if they're to aid their chances of defeating the hosts in their back yard.

Brazil are on the brink of retaining the trophy that they won two years ago and there's the potential for them to do it on home turf here. Tite saw his team extend their own unbeaten run to 13 games. It's also wins in their last six elimination matches in the Copa America. Not only that but Brazil have also not tasted defeat on home soil in over 7 years and haven't lost a home game in the Copa America since 1975. The team has cruised through the tournament so far scoring 12 and conceding 2 with the defence keeping a staggering 4 clean sheets. That now makes it 8 clean sheets in their last 10 matches.

We could not have asked for a better Copa America Final than this. You'll be hard pushed to find anyone who will disagree with these two being the two best performers at this year's competition. Now we just need to wait and see who will prevail victorious. History is stacked against Argentina but they did win the last meeting between these two by a 1-0 score-line back in 2019 in the Superclasico de las Americas. I do think this is a whole different proposition on Brazilian soil though and I think Brazil should win.

Brazil to Win @ 2.18 with Matchbook

Total Goals Scored Under 1.5 @ 2.66 with SBK

On 4-6 cards shown at 13/10 as per my “100 bets” thread and bookings a routine sell for me at 64 but this is certainly a game where there could be card carnage (cardnage?) so 13/8 for >6.5 cards with Uni is not without appeal. I can hardly bet low, middle and high on the same game though!

I’ve had 16 points on Martinez to score at 5.4 on BF and 5 on him to get an assist at 10/1 Sky Bet.

13 hours ago, harry_rag said:

On 4-6 cards shown at 13/10 as per my “100 bets” thread and bookings a routine sell for me at 64 but this is certainly a game where there could be card carnage (cardnage?) so 13/8 for >6.5 cards with Uni is not without appeal. I can hardly bet low, middle and high on the same game though!

Made up at 90. Sometimes you don't like the look of a "system" bet but, if the system is proven, you have to just go with the grind. Having said that, some of the best bets you will ever see on here are ones that I mention but don't back! :eyes

11 hours ago, 38sdk1 said:

We will almost certainly have another European winner at the World Cup next year. Not sure if there are odds on this yet, but I see that bet as a bit of a gift, as bookies seem to judge Argentina, and in particular Brazil, on their name alone, rather than their current level.

Could be lazy bookmaking or a shrewd understanding of where punters want to bet, maybe a mixture of the two. I suspect if they offered fair odds for Brazil they'd end up with liabilities they didn't want whereas they can offer odds that are too short and still do plenty of business. I agree though that the market flatters Brazil.

From a bit of furious (and possibly suspect) calculator prodding I'd say that the outright market pitches a European winner as something like a 2/5 shot. Maybe that would appeal if you feel strongly enough about it being almost a certainty.

My idle passing thought is that Italy may not start as a 16/1 shot given their form up to and during the Euros.