** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2020 European Championship Group A Predictions

10 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

As a Welshman, I've seen it time and time again where we've turned up in our droves to support the team and the pressure of the home crowd has got to the players. I'm counting on that happening for Turkey today. I do think there's slightly more pressure on Wales because if we lose then we have to get a result against Italy but if Turkey lose they can still try to get a win against Switzerland. It's going to be a tough one for Wales though. Harder than the Switzerland game but we were so far off it in that opening game. I'm expecting both ourselves and Turkey to put in improved displays. If either side doesn't then they'll lose.

As a Serbian, I can confirm the same for our national team. We knocked out Norway on the road when everybody thought Haaland will pack three goals at least, as we were in a very poor form. But it was our best performance in the past 5 years, at least. An then, Serbia have a chance to qualify at the home ground against Scotland, we already saw our team in EURO, but...

2 hours ago, StefanBB said:

As a Serbian, I can confirm the same for our national team. We knocked out Norway on the road when everybody thought Haaland will pack three goals at least, as we were in a very poor form. But it was our best performance in the past 5 years, at least. An then, Serbia have a chance to qualify at the home ground against Scotland, we already saw our team in EURO, but...

Yeah, football is a bitch isn't it! :lol

Apart from tonight because I am loving life! Great to see Robert Page actually do what us Welsh fans wanted and take the fight to Turkey with a fearless attitude. It shows just how dangerous we can be when we set up to attack. Every player to the man was outstanding and, let's be honest, 2-0 flattered Turkey. I don't even think Turkey were that bad. We were just on a mission tonight and I loved the fact that Aaron Ramsey went into proper beast mode. I stand by what I have said for so long. Ramsey remains our most important player. Even more so than Gareth Bale. Prepare to see both us and Italy make substantial changes for the last game but we're going to need to change our entire system if Kieffer Moore is rested so think we could struggle if we shift to the 3-5-2 with a false nine.

7 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, football is a bitch isn't it! :lol

Apart from tonight because I am loving life! Great to see Robert Page actually do what us Welsh fans wanted and take the fight to Turkey with a fearless attitude. It shows just how dangerous we can be when we set up to attack. Every player to the man was outstanding and, let's be honest, 2-0 flattered Turkey. I don't even think Turkey were that bad. We were just on a mission tonight and I loved the fact that Aaron Ramsey went into proper beast mode. I stand by what I have said for so long. Ramsey remains our most important player. Even more so than Gareth Bale. Prepare to see both us and Italy make substantial changes for the last game but we're going to need to change our entire system if Kieffer Moore is rested so think we could struggle if we shift to the 3-5-2 with a false nine.

well done to you and your team @StevieDay19830.

Italy vs Wales

Italy looks like the most dominant team in EURO 2020 so far as they managed to record two convincing victories. Although none of them is a big surprise, they looked very confident against solid Turkey and Switzerland. Turkey is underperforming in this tournament, though, while Azzurri beat the Swiss side pretty easily – 3:0. Manuel Locatelli and the lads are on fire in the front, while their defensive record is even more impressive. Roberto Mancini’s side kept ten consecutive clean sheets, conceding only once in the previous 14 matches. The hosts have already secured a place in the knockout stage and will probably look forward to resting key players for the upcoming challenges. Alessandro Florenzi will be sidelined for this match, while Giorgio Chiellini should also skip this game.

Wales enjoys an excellent campaign, and they are pretty close to advancing from the group stage. The Dragons head to this game with four points in their pockets, and just one from this game would see them in the top two. Rob Page’s side earned a draw against Switzerland in the opening round while beating Turkey in the critical match for escaping from the bottom. Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale are the major forces for the away side, and they are driving the team forward. Wales hasn’t lost three times in a row, and the visitors hope to continue that run. It is going to be their biggest test so far in EURO 2020, and they need to be disciplined to get a chance of remaining undefeated.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Although Italy has already completed the job in the group stage, we believe they are eager to continue with excellent displays. Despite the possible changes in the starting line-up, the hosts are still favorites, and we think they will book another victory.

Goals Market Prediction

Azzurri have been unbeatable in the back, while Wales has been involved in low-scoring matches recently. We don’t expect to see too many goals in this one either, so the game should remain under a 2.5 margin.

Italy to Win @ 1.55 

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.65 

Correct score 2:0 @ 6.50

Switzerland vs Turkey

This campaign hasn’t been going very well for the Swiss team, as they picked up just a point from the first two games. They missed many goalscoring opportunities against Wales, got punished, and snatched only a draw. Vladimir Petkovic’s side couldn’t provide much resistance against Italy, which celebrated an easy 3:0 victory. Breece Embolo and the lads need to go for a win in this one and get back to the winning track. Switzerland enjoyed an excellent form ahead of EURO 2020, as they tied six wins. However, they managed to keep only one clean sheet on the previous five occasions, and it was the game against minnows Liechtenstein. Switzerland should put their best performance in the tournament to keep the chance of progressing further.

Turkey is among the biggest underachievers in this tournament, falling to two defeats so far. Although the one against Italy wasn’t surprising, everybody expected them to perform against Wales better. Senol Gunes’s side has been looking uninspiring so far, and they still haven’t found the way to the oppositions’ net. Burak Yilmaz didn’t continue his streak from the Ligue 1 finish, and his teammates haven’t been much better as well. However, Turkey has been in a very decent form ahead of the tournament. Six games without losing suggested they could fight for the knockout stage, but their chances of advancing are pretty slim. They definitely need to go for a win and hope for positive results in other groups.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Although they are still searching for the first win, Switzerland left a better impression compared to their opponents in EURO 2020. We think they will push forward to exit the group stage and win this match.

Goals Market Prediction

Neither team has been much productive in the final third in this tournament, and the importance of this game might see them being more cautious. Therefore, we don’t expect to see more than two goals in total.

Switzerland to Win @ 1.65 

Under 2.5 FT @ 2.10 

Correct score 2:0 @ 9.00

Although neither team is expected to reach the next stage, there is enough experience for both of them so far. Now liberated from the knowledge that victory - potentially with many goals - is necessary, both can allow their players to have the opportunity to create and attack at will. As a result, I expect an open meeting at a fast pace, where they can find a goal.
SWITZERLAND vs TURKEY @@ Both team to score, odds 1.75

None of the previous nine meetings between these teams has ever ended in a draw, with Italy winning seven over Wales' two wins. Not only that, but the Italians have won 10 games in a row, while keeping their home intact in each of these games, and it is difficult to see the visitors finish this series. Both teams will make a few changes, but we predict a similar result for Italy, with three points and zero in defense to finish in first place. Wales will also play defensively with five in defense, because they want a point, so I do not see goals in the match and I will bet on the few goals.
ITALY vs WALES @@ +2.50 Under, odds 1.65

Italy vs Wales

The final round of group games begin on Sunday afternoon with Group A drawing to a thrilling close as both games are played at 5pm BST. Here, it's Italy versus Wales at the Stadio Olimpico. The host nation have already secured their place in the last 16 with two wins but they will need at least a draw here against their opponents to seal top spot. The visiting side know their spot in the next round isn't guaranteed but will feel confident it's simply a case of whether they finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd now for the second round draw.

Italy have looked every bit the team I thought they could be in this tournament. Roberto Mancini's men have dominated their two games against Turkey and Switzerland with accomplished attacking displays whilst also looking resolute at the back. The Azzurri beat Turkey 3-0 and repeated that score-line against Switzerland. It's now 29 matches unbeaten for the Italians and they haven't suffered a competitive defeat on home turf since 1999. There have been suggestions that Mancini could rotate some players but they'll also be keen to ensure their current momentum doesn't take a knock. Captain Giorgio Chiellini is out injured so it'll be interesting to see how that affects their back-line because he is key to its organisation and stability.

Wales have pulled off everything I hoped but didn't think would actually happen by taking 4 points from our opening two group games against Switzerland and Turkey. Two contrasting feelings with the draw against the Swiss feeling like we'd robbed them and then the 2-0 win over a Turkish side backed by 30,000 local Azeris in Baku felt like it flattered our opponents. Still, we are now unbelievably heading into this Italy game knowing that it'll take something very unfortunate for us to miss out on the last 16. I think the bookies have us priced at 1/100 to qualify and 25/1 to not qualify. Then again, if anyone can balls this up... :lol. In all seriousness, Robert Page has a number of selection headaches. We need to ensure we put in a performance to limit the chances of other results and goal difference screwing us over. However, both Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale need to have their fitness managed sensibly so resting them after two tough group games would make sense but can we afford to play without them and risk their fitness for the last 16 and beyond? We then have the likes of Chris Mepham, Ben Davies, and Kieffer Moore all on a booking. I honestly wouldn't like to be in Page's position but you look at our bench and we do have the likes of Neco Williams, Ethan Ampadu, and David Brooks to come in so it's not a bad rotation system to have.

I'm not very nervous about this game. I feel we have pace throughout our squad that could see us cause Italy problems at the back. I'd be reluctant to see too many changes for Wales and I imagine Mancini is the same for Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a few rotations to protect players from injury or suspension but both teams want to keep their unbeaten run going heading into the knockout phase. A bore draw would probably suit both teams quite well but Italy will certainly feel they can win this and will be going out to do that. I can't see us winning and I think Page could gamble on leaving out some big names to save for the last 16. Still, we're not in the last 16 yet so maybe he will want to risk them because we can't afford to drop them? My head's all over the place with this one but I'm expecting us to fight valiantly but still lose. I am worried we could ship a few goals here as well but will hopefully still qualify due to other results going in our favour.

Italy HT/FT @ 2.65 with SportNation

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 2.34 with SBK

Switzerland vs Turkey

The other game in Group A taking place at 5pm BST on Sunday afternoon is the must-win clash between Switzerland and Turkey at the Olympic Stadium in Baku. Neither side have managed to take a win from their two group games so far and both teams will need a victory here to give themselves any hope of progressing to the last 16. We are expecting another fervent crowd backing Turkey again but will it prove to be more a pressure than a boost?

Switzerland haven't really torn up any trees in this European Championship so far. Head coach Vladimir Petkovic will be annoyed that his team's failure to see off Wales in that opening group game could come back to bite them here. A 3-0 loss to Italy in that second game didn't do their confidence or morale any favours either. Such was the anger at the team's performance that Petkovic wrote an open letter in a national newspaper apologising to the fans. However, they will know that a win gives them a very good opportunity to reach the last 16. Petkovic has a fully fit squad which is a bonus. Switzerland haven't failed to win a single group game at a major international tournament since the 2004 European Championship.

Turkey know they need a miracle to reach the last 16 but they still have a chance. Head coach Senol Gunes has promised to make changes after his side's humiliating 2-0 loss to Wales at this venue during the week. It wasn't necessarily the score-line that made it embarrassing but simply how dominant Wales were. The fact that Turkey had acted like all they needed to do was to turn up to get the win in what was essentially a home game added to the shame. This game presents a chance for this Turkish side to gain some retribution. Even a win is likely to not be enough due to their awful goal difference and so many teams in with a chance of finishing 3rd with 4 points but they can only try. The good news for Turkey fans is that their team have won their last group stage game at the last four major international tournaments they have appeared in. They have also not lost three competitive games in a row since 2010.

If this game was happening before the Wales match earlier in the week then I'd be backing Turkey all the way. The two teams are evenly matched as it is but with the Baku crowd behind them I'd have found it hard to see Switzerland getting anything from this game. That being said, Turkey have looked terrible this tournament. The players look exhausted, it seems like they felt the pressure of the home support and expectation in the Wales game, and I have absolutely no confidence they can beat Switzerland. I'm swaying between a draw and Switzerland win but I do think Turkey are shot so a Swiss win makes the most sense.

Switzerland to Win @ 1.73 with William Hill

BTTS @ 1.90 with SportNation

All a bit frantic today, despite there being only 2 games! :eyes

Switzerland v Turkey:

7 points on Widmer to assist a goal at 10/1 with PP (way out of line with prices elsewhere, e.g. 9/2, and the spreads)

Buy Embolo card minutes for 1.5 points at 7 with SPIN (booked once in the Euros, 12 to buy elsewhere. A bit cheap in a must win game.)

Buy Switzerland booking hotshots for 2 points at 25 with SPIN (25 points per yellow and 50 per red for Schar, Mbabu, Xhaka and Elvidi. Latter 2 not starting and market taken down but the text said 10 points per non-starter.)