** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2020 European Championship Group C Predictions

12 points on Ukraine to win the group at 6/1 with SPIN

I'm not being entirely seduced by the fact that they're currently 4-0 against 10 man Cyprus but it made my mind up in case the price shortens. Had already seen it tipped in print and liked the mention for it in a YouTube preview I watched earlier. Holland maybe not quite up to justifying such heavy odds on favouritism, Ukraine the pick of the others at the prices.

15 hours ago, harry_rag said:

12 points on Ukraine to win the group at 6/1 with SPIN

I'm not being entirely seduced by the fact that they're currently 4-0 against 10 man Cyprus but it made my mind up in case the price shortens. Had already seen it tipped in print and liked the mention for it in a YouTube preview I watched earlier. Holland maybe not quite up to justifying such heavy odds on favouritism, Ukraine the pick of the others at the prices.

You have seen my doubts about this Netherlands squad. Well, more the man leading them into this tournament. I have been impressed by Austria when I've seen them play. A very organised and hard to break down side. If Ukraine can beat Austria then I don't see any reason why they can't win the group. 6/1 is still a little short for my liking but I can totally get on board with it.

1 hour ago, waynecoyne said:

i've seen a couple of previews and the consensus is to be against the netherlands. The outright ukraine price has shortened a little, so i will try a straight forecast

ukraine 1st austria second at 25/1 b 365

I'm not sure I have enough confidence to back their positions but with Ukraine and Austria to qualify at 13.00 at Bet365 it is very eye-catching.

34 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I'm not sure I have enough confidence to back their positions but with Ukraine and Austria to qualify at 13.00 at Bet365 it is very eye-catching.

That would be a great bet but I assume that's actually the dual forecast price (first and second in either order) rather than the both to qualify price?

7 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

That would be a great bet but I assume that's actually the dual forecast price (first and second in either order) rather than the both to qualify price?

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I'd still be happy to back that. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Netherlands finished in 3rd.

12 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I'd still be happy to back that. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Netherlands finished in 3rd.

It probably beats backing them to finish 3rd at 9/1. Also 16/1 not to qualify and can be sold at 39 on the spreads (50 for first then 25,10 and 0). I'll stick with the Ukraine to win the group bet. Holland so popular as a dog this year they're probably set to scrape their way to the final!

23 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

It probably beats backing them to finish 3rd at 9/1. Also 16/1 not to qualify and can be sold at 39 on the spreads (50 for first then 25,10 and 0). I'll stick with the Ukraine to win the group bet. Holland so popular as a dog this year they're probably set to scrape their way to the final!

:lol @Mindfulness will go mad if De Boer somehow leads them to the European Championship after the disaster that was his short reign at Crystal Palace!

Netherlands

They play poorly in these years. They have not been in UEFA European Championship and FIFA World Cup. After Frank de Boer has taken charge of them, they are getting well. They have been unbeaten for four matches.

Ukraine

They make progress under the management of Andriy Shevchenko. They play poorly in FIFA World Cup qualification because of injuries. As the injury situation is improving, they are getting back in form.

Verdict:

Netherlands take the upper hand over Ukraine in every aspect. But Donny van de Beek and Virgil van Dijk are absent due to injuries, which has an impact on their playing. It is predicted that Netherlands will take one point from Ukraine at least in upcoming game.

Prediction: 1-1, 1-0

On 6/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, StevieDay1983 said:

:lol @Mindfulness will go mad if De Boer somehow leads them to the European Championship after the disaster that was his short reign at Crystal Palace!

To be honest @StevieDay1983 De Boer is more likely to be re-hired and then lead Palace to the EFL Championship the way our new manager search is going :eyes

And before you say it; NO!!! We do not want to pay you £20m+ for the services of Mick McCarthy.

42 minutes ago, Mindfulness said:

To be honest @StevieDay1983 De Boer is more likely to be re-hired and then lead Palace to the EFL Championship the way our new manager search is going :eyes

And before you say it; NO!!! We do not want to pay you £20m+ for the services of Mick McCarthy.

:lol McCarthy would cost more than that mate! On the subject of De Boer, why didn't it work out for him at Crystal Palace? Anything that makes you think the same problems will prevent his Netherlands team from doing anything at this tournament?

50 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

:lol McCarthy would cost more than that mate! On the subject of De Boer, why didn't it work out for him at Crystal Palace? Anything that makes you think the same problems will prevent his Netherlands team from doing anything at this tournament?

De Boer wanted Palace to play out from the back but we just didn't have those kinds of players in the squad. He tried playing Milivojevic at RCB and then played Riedewald (who is terrible in the air) at CB in the opening game against Huddersfield who had Steve Mounie at centre-forward, he was a beast in the air. I think the final score was 1-3 to Huddersfield and confidence left the players pretty quickly after that. 

I think I've posted this before but said video will give you an overview of what happened with the De Boer debacle (recollections may vary):

Anyway with regards to De Boer at the Netherlands, I'm guessing he is doing better than his time at Palace. The Dutch players should be much more use to his methods and philosophy, plus their defenders are good technically.

Austria vs North Macedonia

The Group C action kicks off at 5pm BST on Sunday afternoon when Austria and North Macedonia go head-to-head at the Arena Nationala in Bucharest. As the discussion above has shown, we think this group could be more open than people think. Particularly if Netherlands don't perform to their potential. Even if they do, that 2nd spot is up for grabs so victory here would be a fantastic start for either of these two sides.

Austria are a side that haven't really made a huge impression on international football down the years but under head coach Franco Foda they have become a very hard team to break down. The Boys are making only their 3rd appearance at a European Championship. They did manage to win promotion to League A in the most recent UEFA Nations League but form has tailed off after that competition. It's now just 1 win from their last 6 matches and they are currently positioned in 4th in their 2022 World Cup qualifying group after 3 games. The team has failed to score in their last 3 matches which will be a concern. I still feel that Austria have shown over the past 2-3 years that they can get results against the teams that are considered to be around about their level. They have earned victories over the likes of Romania, Greece, Norway, and Northern Ireland. That could bode well for a group containing a couple of nations in that ilk in North Macedonia and Ukraine.

North Macedonia will be playing in their first major international tournament. The new process of the UEFA qualification system for this tournament has allowed that via the play-offs and it's brilliant news for a smaller nation to have this opportunity. Head coach Igor Angelovski has a team at his disposal that could potentially cause a few shockwaves. At face value, North Macedonia are a very average European nation who failed to get promoted out of League C Group 2 with Armenia pipping them to top spot. However, they have only lost 2 of their last 14 matches and boast an ideal blend of youth and experience with players such as the highly rated starlet Elif Elmas and the evergreen Goran Pandev. The team currently sits 2nd in their 2022 World Cup qualification group positioned ahead of both Germany and Romania.

Well, this is a tough one to call. Austria defeated North Macedonia twice in qualification for this tournament but so much has changed since then. This North Macedonia side earned that heroic 2-1 away win over Germany as recently as back at the end of March. That's a warning sign of what they are capable of. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them spring a shock here and take something from this game.

North Macedonia Double Chance @ 2.20 with SportNation

Anytime Scorer: Elif Elmas @ 8.00 with Betfred

Netherlands vs Ukraine

The final game of the day on Sunday is an 8pm BST kick-off when Group C rivals Netherlands and Ukraine go face-to-face at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam. It's a game that many are seeing as a potential banana skin for the host nation but do they have enough talent within their squad to fend off an in-form visiting nation who are intent on spoiling the Dutch party?

Netherlands have endured a tough time over recent years. Failure to qualify for the 2016 European Championship and the 2018 World Cup has left a footballing nation deflated. Frank De Boer is the new head coach and I'm sorry to say that things don't appear to be improving well enough for the Oranje. The team got some solid results in the UEFA Nations League campaign where they missed out on a semi-final berth by 1 point to Italy. However, it's been a far from convincing start to their 2022 World Cup qualification campaign. Their performance in the 4-2 loss to Turkey was dreadful and those type of performances haven't been rare as the players try to adapt to De Boer's 5-3-2 formation. The absence of the key duo of Virgil Van Dijk and Donny van de Beek has clearly altered De Boer's plans. The 2-2 friendly draw with Scotland that they really could and should have lost was another sign that this might not be an easy campaign for the Dutch. You look at the talent in this squad with the likes of Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, and Donyell Malen and you think they can go far. They simply aren't clicking though and you have to blame De Boer's insistence on this new system for that.

Ukraine are winning admirers for the way they play under former star striker and now head coach Andrei Shevchenko. The Yellow and Blue stormed to the top of their 2020 European Championship qualifying group going the entire campaign undefeated and finishing ahead of Portugal. A disappointing yet probably unsurprising UEFA Nations League showing saw them relegated from League A after finishing below heavyweights Spain, Germany, and Switzerland. Even then, they only went down due to an inferior goal difference to the Swiss. The 2022 World Cup qualification has started in a mixed manner with the highlight being a sterling 1-1 draw away to world champions France but that has been followed by two 1-1 draws at home to Finland and Kazakhstan. You get the feeling this Ukrainian side has the potential to cause problems with the likes of Andriy Yarmolenko, Oleksandr Zinchenko, and Taras Stepanenko in their side but they also have a bad performance in them.

This is a game where we could see a big shock. I say big shock but a lot of us on here are actually anticipating Netherlands to under-perform. Ukraine are a side that have proven time and time again over the past 2-3 years that they aren't afraid to go at the big nations. Shevchenko has installed a fearlessness in them that means they should be seen as a major threat to anyone in this tournament. I can certainly see them reaching the last 16 but can they win here? I'm tempted to back them!

Ukraine Double Chance @ 2.45 with SportNation

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.76 with SBK

Austria vs North Macedonia

Austria cannot be content with its form, as they booked just one win on the previous six occasions. That one came Franco Foda’s side played two warm-up games and narrowly lost against England while drawing with Slovakia. Although Aleksandar Dragovic and the lads conceded only once, their teammates need to be more productive in the final third. Austria failed to score in both matches, and that streak extends to three games if we consider a 4:0 defeat against Denmark in March. Das Team picked up only four points in the World Cup Quals opening three rounds, and they need to perform much better to qualify for the final tournament. They will eye a place in the knockout round at EURO 2020, and this game might be crucial for Austria.

After watching Finland beating Denmark last night, North Macedonia hopes to become as successful as Huuhkajat. It will be the premier match for Risovi at European Championships, as they qualified through the UEFA Nations League playoffs. Igor Angelovski’s side is an underdog in Group C, but they want to keep their dream of progressing further alive. Goran Pandev and the lads will be looking to continue their excellent streak of four games without losing. They played two prep matches, drawing against Slovenia and beating Kazakhstan 4:0. After an opening 3:2 defeat against Romania, North Macedonia tied two wins in the World Cup Quals. The one against Germany on the road was particularly shocking. They want to keep up where they left off, and the game against Austria is their best chance to challenge at least the 3rd spot.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Although Austria is a slight favorite, this game can go either way. North Macedonia has nothing to lose, and they will fight for their first points at EURO. Therefore, this game might end in a draw.

Goals Market Prediction

These two sides faced each other twice in EURO 2020 Quals, and neither team managed to keep the clean sheet. Austria kept its net intact only once in the last seven games, and North Macedonia could exploit that.

Draw @ 3.40 

BTTS Yes @ 2.20 

Correct score 1:1 @ 7.00

Netherlands vs Ukraine

The hosts didn’t start 2021 successfully, as they lost to Turkey 4:2 in the World Cup Quals. However, it was their only defeat in the current year, and they failed to win only once since then. The Netherlands suffered just one loss on the previous ten occasions, hoping to start this campaign confidently. Frank de Boer’s side conceded in just one out of the last four games in a 2:2 draw against Scotland. Although they cannot count on Virgil van Dijk to strengthen their backline, the hosts want to go far at EURO 2020. Oranje eyes the top spot in the group, but this won’t be an easy task for them. The Netherlands needs to continue being clinical in front of the oppositions’ net to enjoy a successful EURO 2020 campaign.

Ukraine is not that attractive team, but we should keep an eye on them as they might overachieve at this tournament. They have solid chances of progressing in the knockout stage, and anything is possible from there. Andriy Shevchenko’s side hasn’t lost six times in a row, and they celebrated in both prep games ahead of EURO 2020. Ukraine might be complacent against lower-ranked teams, but they can also stun some of the favorites. They drew against France on the road in the opening round of the World Cup Quals but also failed to beat Finland and Kazakhstan. Oleksandr Zinchenko and the lads kept the clean sheet on the previous two occasions, and they want to keep up with disciplined performances. They will need another one to remain undefeated in their opening game at EURO 2020.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Ukraine shouldn’t be underestimated, but we believe the hosts won’t lose their focus. The Netherlands should open their EURO 2020 campaign with a victory, and the home side should pick up all three points from this game.

Goals Market Prediction

The hosts have been involved in many high-scoring matches lately, and we don’t think this one will be much different. Six of their last seven games went over a 2.5 margin, and we believe these two teams will produce at least three goals.

Netherlands to Win @ 1.60 

Over 2.5 FT @ 2.10 

Correct score 2:1 @ 9.00

32 minutes ago, vikki37 said:

just asking out of interest, are you going to bet 2-1 on every single match of Euro 2020???

To head off the potential question directed at me with header scored instead of 2-1, the answer is yes for as long as Hills dangle the carrot of value prices! :)

20 points singles on a header scored in each of today’s games at 2/1 in the Austria v N Macedonia game and 19/10 the other one.

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

To head off the potential question directed at me with header scored instead of 2-1, the answer is yes for as long as Hills dangle the carrot of value prices! :)

20 points singles on a header scored in each of today’s games at 2/1 in the Austria v N Macedonia game and 19/10 the other one.

our captain to score a header is 9/1 on Paddypower

Austria v N Macedonia:

Buy Sabitzer penalty goal minutes for 2 points at 1 with SPIN - The RP have him as likely pen taker for Austria but SPIN’s prices indicate they think it will be Alaba. At the equivalent of almost 50/1 I’ll take a flyer that the RP might be right.

Buy Bardhi goal rush plus for 3 points at 2 with SPIN - beats best anytime price, NM’s set piece geezer apparently. 25 points for 1 goal, 50 for 2 and 100 for 3+

Austria going with a 6 foot 7 striker which bodes well for the header bet.