** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Championship Play-Off Predictions > May 22nd

champratings.jpg

The second legs of the Championship play-off semi-finals are coming up on Saturday. Bournemouth and Swansea both hold advantages over Brentford and Barnsley respectively but will they seal the deal here or will we see turnarounds? Let us know your predictions! :ok

Brentford vs Bournemouth

The first game of the Championship play-off semi-final second legs is scheduled to be played at 12:30pm BST on Saturday afternoon when Brentford play Bournemouth at the Brentford Community Stadium. It's a game where there is everything to play for with the away side bringing a narrow 1-0 lead from the first leg that they'll need to defend with their lives here.

Brentford are at serious risk of bottle-jobbing another Premier League push with the club losing the first leg of this play-off semi-final. A single goal from Arnaut Danjuma was the difference between the two sides in the previous meeting. Thomas Frank will be keen to go one better than their play-off final defeat last season but they have it all to do in this one. Bryan Mbeumo will certainly be ruing his miss from yards out that could have seen the tie level coming into this second leg. The Bees will be keen to see top scorer Ivan Toney more involved but there's still the questions hanging over centre back Pontus Jansson. The former Leeds man was at fault for the goal in the first leg after being caught out of position and he's generally proving to be a big game liability.

Bournemouth have a huge opportunity to make an immediate return back to the Premier League. Considering how poor the team looked just before Jonathan Woodgate took over it's a credit to the job he's done since coming. I, personally, thought he was a poor appointment given his tenure at Middlesbrough but it's all gone very well so far. As a Welshman, it was great to see David Brooks starting to play at the level we know he can again in the first leg and if he repeats that display then he could hold the key to getting Bournemouth through this game.

It was a nervy affair in the first leg and I expect a similar tone to this game. I still feel Brentford have the creativity and goals to get back into this tie but you look at this Bournemouth squad and there is so much quality throughout it. It's too close to call but I do feel that Brentford can turn this around. Brentford have won both of the last two meetings with Bournemouth at home and Bournemouth haven't tasted victory at Brentford in 8 visits stretching back to 29th October, 2005. I'm going to back Brentford to get the job done.

Brentford to Win @ 2.05 with Boylesports

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.91 with SBK

Swansea vs Barnsley

The second game in the Championship play-off semi-final second legs on Saturday is a 6:30pm BST kick-off at the Liberty Stadium when Swansea will be aiming to finish off their first leg work where they beat Barnsley 1-0. It is a strong advantage for the home team to boast coming into this return leg but this tie is far from done and dusted so can the away side turn things around?

Swansea know that their fate is firmly in their own hands after the first leg performance at Oakwell. Andre Ayew's goal just before half-time was the difference between the two teams. The Swans will be spurred on by their 3,000 of their own fans which should give them a boost for this game. Steve Cooper will be ruing that his team didn't get a second goal to add that extra buffer to their lead but they can't be unhappy with taking a narrow lead away from the first leg on the road. Swansea are now unbeaten against Barnsley in 13 meetings including winning the last 3 encounters on the bounce.

Barnsley face an uphill battle but head coach Valerien Ismael will believe his team has what it takes to come back in this tie. The Tykes went toe-to-toe with their opponents in the first leg and it was only Ayew's moment of individual brilliance that prevented them from taking a draw from the first game. Still, they now face a task of doing something they haven't done since 24th August, 1974 and that's win away to Swansea. Yes, it's now 12 visits to the South Wales club without a win and if they're to have any chance of progressing to the final then they need to make history and end that drought.

I would love to see Barnsley reach the play-off final but it just feels like this is just a bridge too far. This Barnsley side kind of reminds me of the Cardiff side that made the play-offs under Malky Mackay in 2011/12. Nobody expected us to do it and we got there purely on grit and determination. Yet we just came unstuck against a West Ham team that possessed more quality. I feel Swansea boast the quality and I can see them winning this second leg to extend their aggregate lead.

Swansea Draw No Bet @ 1.99 with SBK

Anytime Scorer: Andre Ayew @ 3.60 with Betfair

Brentford vs Bournemouth

The home side’s winning streak came to an end on Monday, when they suffered a narrow 1:0 defeat in the first leg. It’s Brentford’s second conceded goal in the last five matches, but they need to turn around the result in the upcoming game. Frank Thomas’s side finished in 3rd place in the regular stage, and they stayed four points behind the second-placed Watford. Ivan Toney and the lads are the most productive side in the Championship, while their defense was pretty decent. The Bees lost just twice at the home ground, and they need another confident display at Brentford Community Stadium. The hosts should improve their finishing compared to the previous game if they want to keep their chances of promotion.

On the other hand, Bournemouth lost three times in a row before beating their upcoming rivals in the first leg. They slipped down to 6th place, but that didn’t jeopardize their playoffs spot. Jonathan Woodgate’s side secured a narrow advantage and will look forward to keeping it after Saturday’s clash. Their recent form on the road is encouraging for the Cherries, as they lost just once in the last seven outings. Dominic Solanke and the lads have been among the most efficient teams in the competition, but their defense could have been a bit tighter. The visitors would need a defensively solid performance to keep their advantage intact.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

Another tight clash is ahead of us, and the hosts don’t have space for any calculations. Brentford should attack from the very start of the game, and we believe they can celebrate in their backyard. Bournemouth managed to beat their opponent away from home only once in this millennium.

Goals Market Prediction

Brentford has been tough to crack at the home ground, conceding only once in the last five home games. On the other hand, Brentford scored just once in the previous five games, and we think this one might remain under a 2.5 margin.

Brentford to Win @ 2.00

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.95

Correct score 2:0 @ 9.50

Brentford

They lose to Bournemouth AFC at 1-0 in last game, which ends their four-match losing streak. Ivan Toney is the top scorer in the League, who has scored 31 goals for Brentford this season. And they play well as host, with over 90% unbeaten rate.

Bournemouth AFC

Thanks to Arnaut Danjuma, who scores the only one goals in last game, Bournemouth AFC win over Brentford at 1-0 and end their three-match losing streak. They have psychological advantage.

Verdict:

Brentford get 3W-3D-4L from Bournemouth AFC in the past. Neither of them take the upper hand or lower hand over each other. Brentford are in form, getting a two-match winning streak and two clean sheets. So Brentford stand the chance to win.

Goals in Match: 2-3 goals

Swansea City

They play well this season, getting 23W-11D-12L this season. In last game, they get a 1-0 cleans sheet from Barnsley as traveller. They have slight advantage.

Barnsley

They play well on offensive, with 1.26 scoring goals in average of this season. And they play well as guest recently, getting 7 victories in recent 10 away games.

Verdict:

Swansea City have never been defeated by Barnsley in the past even with 70% winning percentage. The Euro odds is 1.88-3.25-3.35, which is tending to the host. So Swansea City are more likely to win.

1x2 Pick: 1

On 5/21/2021 at 10:43 AM, StevieDay1983 said:

Bryan Mbeumo will certainly be ruing his miss from yards out that could have seen the tie level coming into this second leg.

Me too as I backed him to score at 9/1 after he came on! :wall

Using my notes from the first leg I'll give him a second chance, along with my winning selection from that game.

20 points on Mbeumo to score at 3/1 Uni and 20 on Groeneveld to score at 10/3 PP

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Using my notes from the first leg I'll give him a second chance, along with my winning selection from that game.

20 points on Mbeumo to score at 3/1 Uni and 20 on Groeneveld to score at 10/3 PP

Groeneveld scores again, though had to double check given the various ways his name can be shown! Should've stuck with Forss as well, and bookings! Always worth remembering that goals and cards tend to be low in the first leg and high in the second for play-off ties.

21 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Anytime Scorer: Andre Ayew @ 3.60 with Betfair

I've arrived at the same conclusion; 20 points at 13/5 with PP and, at the other end of the probability spectrum; 5 on Roberts at 14/1 with the same firm. A defender but his goals return for Swansea suggests they're taking a bit of a chance with that price. Sub 10/1 with most firms.