** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Racing ???

11 hours ago, harrisman said:

An interesting German raid to France today with 3 runners at Compeigne ridden by Bachelot , Guyon and Soumillon respectively and 1 at Lyon-Parilly. 

For the excellent Henk Grewe. All worth a look. IMO. for an inform trainer with plenty of previous black type. 

Only 2 places from 4. Possibly poorly placed as all of them had shortened in the betting. Discovered at the last minute that Mullins had a runner and very easy winner in the last at Lyon. Some trip!! 1 

3 hours ago, Offramp said:

I don't usually bet on the French races, but today at Longchamps Skybet is offering extra places in a few races. 

So I've had an each way Lucky 15.

IMG_20210613_071322.jpg

I want to add that I'm not suggesting those particular horses. I mean that those races with all those extra places available give great value: for £3 it gives me huge interest right to the end. 

I couldn't resist Glycon (2.50 Longchamp) at a standout 12/1 with Bet 365. He's back down to Group 3 company in which he won over course and distance on 6th September last year. There are only 7 runners so he should have no traffic issues when making his customary late run down the outside. Of the 2 at the head of the market my feeling is that Magny Cours would like the going to be softer and Iresine may find his 6-race winning streak ending now upped in class and racing away from Lyon and Marseille.

Quite a contrast to the finery of Royal Ascot is an interesting mixed card in Craon which kicks off at 10.50 UK time with a 7 runner chase. Quite a trappy affair where claims can be made for 5 of the field however I feel the use of the  very good conditional rider Gwen Richard's claim ( With a near 25% win strike rate in chases this season) could make all the difference. 

10.50 KeepHopeDe Roche 9/1 ew. 

11.20 an interesting NHflat race with the notable booking of top class flat jockey Theo Bachelot for Intensement. 10/1 ew. 

Izmir for Natalie Desouttier is also of interest and any market moves for the two debutants at the bottom of the card would be worth noting. 

11.52 This is a 3m+ CROSS Country chase. As always I am guided especially by both the jockey booked for my  selection and course and distance experience. Again a trappy affair with claims for at least 60% of the field. 

Unfortunately there are no extra places, was hoping for 4 in the 12 runner affair, so will utilise an unusual wager for me- which I feel may give the best value - which are in this case are combination forecasts of course and distance winner

Doralou Des Bourdes together with Cap Mix,  and Bingo De L'aunay respectively the mounts of James Reveley and Felix De Giles. 

The current fav at 6/4 strikes me as far too short in a race of this nature. 

Perhaps worth noting a Rouget 2-y-o already competing in claiming company. The 7.50 at La Teste this evening is the 3rd start for La Baroche available at 7/1 generally in this 9-runner affair. The filly has raced so far over 1100 metres and appeared to be staying on into 4th in a similar race last time out at Salon De Provence on 24th May.

Today's race is over 1400 metres which aligns with the 3-race career of La Baroche's sire, Recorder, who only raced over 7f and who had 2 victories - the last being the Group 3 Acomb Stakes at York.

Not for maximum faith but up in trip and 7/1 in a very modest event could be a bit of value.

Thanks - always nice when you feel you have a handle on where the race might go. I did end up having to pop an additional reverse fc on just before the off as the prices on  the winner and second had shortened. It is indeed a proper xcountry course. -I wish there was more races like that. An unfulfilled ambition yet is to see the infamous Velky Pardubice Czech race live. 

Difficult to know what to make of the bumper  and possibly a rebuke to myself to avoid them as a betting proposition. I suspect the winner won't be up to much. 

Thanks for your write up about the claimer. 

14 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Nice one, Harrisman - winner of the 10.50 and forecast landed in the 11.52? .

That's what I call a proper cross country course!

Dieppe 11.30

Seeing how well the the Merriene runner did in the opener it may be worthwhile chancing Emma Star 12/1ew  partnered by the British conditional rider Ned Curtis, and, at shorter odds (and more likely winner) , Gwen Richards, fresh from her excellent ride and win in Craon yesterday on Mockney Rebel. (almost worth backing on the name  alone!) 15/4 ew

Dieppe 12.00

Madison Vanzales may be worth a speculative wager at 25/1 ew having today both its ground, and approx last winning mark, and a firm line to the 2nd fav (currently 11/4Glicourt)  on the 2nd most recent run 3/4 length behind in 3rd, although now 2lb better off.. 0.5 points ew

Jerome Reynier takes Rumbles Of Thunder from his Marseille base up to Dusseldorf for the German Oaks trial (3.00). She won her sole start 15 days ago on heavy ground at Compiegne by 2.5 lengths. That was a far more valuable race than any of her German-based rivals have contested, although some have the advantage of track and race experience.

Her sire is Night Of Thunder who acts well on good and good to firm ground. It is set to be good ground or a touch firmer by race time, and I wonder if Rumbles Of Thunder will show much progress this afternoon with the initial experience under her belt and with "underhoof" conditions perhaps more to her liking. Available generally at 100/30 and 3/1 in a field of 10.

Worth noting the two British raiders in the Listed at Longchamp today. 

The larger priced Aura Blue, ridden by big race MOM Mendzibal, may have the most scope for improvement. In either case the stable stats on their relatively in - frequent raids to France in particular are worth noting. 

13 minutes ago, harrisman said:

Worth noting the two British raiders in the Listed at Longchamp today. 

The larger priced Aura Blue, ridden by big race MOM Mendzibal, may have the most scope for improvement. In either case the stable stats on their relatively in - frequent raids to France in particular are worth noting. 

Might be worth a dabble on a reverse forecast:hope.

Crisford has Soumillon on the other one so must mean business with both. They could both improve for the step up in trip.

Quite possibly although quite a competitive looking affair to me. However the stats and jockey bookings are too positive for me not to have an interest, although I may pop another in a permed fcast as well when I have a further look. 

Mind you I thought so a few days ago when Kevin Ryan's sprinter absolutely destroyed his field.! 

I've only included these in multis but in the first at Longchamp (4.14) for unraced fillies, Jean-Claude Rouget's Silver Lining, out of the excellent first season sire, Caravaggio, should cope with underfoot (very soft) conditions.

In the colts' equivalent next race (4.49) Edouard Monfort's colt, Forchester, is out of another first season sire, Ribchester, who excelled on soft and heavy.

• 2 weeks later...