** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Wednesday 28th April

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Does anyone know if this meeting at Ascot today is a new fixture 'cos I don't remember these Royal Ascot Trial Races in previous years ?

Looks a good card !

Not sure but a lot of tricky races for us punters and, the 3 qualifying races 1.35,2.45 and 3.20 have short priced favourites.  Do you think that Stradivarious will win? It seems to me that no one puts up very good competitive challengers against it which is quite annoying

Asc 3.55 - Haqeeqy - win 11/8 bet365

It's always a bit dangerous to back horses in pattern company based on what they've done in handicaps but this one looks top class

Won the Lincoln doing handstands and had won his previous handicap easily as well ...... wins off marks of 92 and 100

If you saw the Lincoln there's little doubt this is a group class horse and should handle this Listed race although there are several horses who had a similar profile last season taking him on and there might be some 'recency bias' behind his short price

Also I've seen this type of horse over many years ....... horses that have come up through handicaps and looked like the next great thing only to be found out when tackling real group one horses. So although this is listed as a Queen Anne Trial I'd be a bit wary of backing him for the big one even if he wins today

8 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Not sure but a lot of tricky races for us punters and, the 3 qualifying races 1.35,2.45 and 3.20 have short priced favourites.  Do you think that Stradivarious will win? It seems to me that no one puts up very good competitive challengers against it which is quite annoying

I  think this could be the day to take him on ...... he hasn't won for his last 3 races and as he gets older he's more like to need a seasonal opener to loosen up the joints 

But looking at the field you wouldn't see much beyond Stradivarius and Nayef Road ....

I think I'd probably stick with the old Champion but wouldn't back him at odds on

All prices Bet365:

1.00 Ascot - 1pt win Enigmatic @ 15/2

1.15 Wolverhampton - 1pt e/w Butterfield @ 22/1

3.20 Ascot - 1pt e/w Spycatcher @ 16/1

3.55 Ascot - 2pts win Sir Busker @ 9/2

4.25 Pontefract - 1pt e/w Under Fox @ 12/1

4.30 Ascot - 1pt win Rose Hip @ 13/2

4.50 Punchestown - 1pt e/w Fighter Allen @ 12/1

3 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Sure there will be worse 4/6 chances, he'll most likely hoover up another 40k prize money.

7 hours ago, Trotter said:

Does anyone know if this meeting at Ascot today is a new fixture 'cos I don't remember these Royal Ascot Trial Races in previous years ?

Looks a good card !

The meeting has been going for donkey's years although was not previously labelled Royal Ascot Trial Races. It used to feature the Victoria Cup until that was moved to the meeting a week on Saturday. It also used to include a race called the White Rose stakes which was a Group 3 Derby trial although none of the winners won the Derby - Cut Above won the St Leger in 1981 beating Shergar.

9 hours ago, Ironjoe said:

+34.75

pontefract 2.35 regal mirage 5/2 2pt win

Punchestown 3.40 takarengo 14/1 1pt ew

Punchestown 4.50 blue sair 15/8 2pt win

Punchestown 5.20 galopin des champs 15/8 2pt win won

punchestown 6.30 sir gerhardt 11/10 3pt win

Chelms 7.15 fair power 9/1  2pt ew

15 points staked

Good luck ? 

5.75 returned 

Overall +25 5

Another quiet day for me today, still waiting for the new arrival.

My NAP selection won again, been in great form with my narrowed down selections.

Also had Gherkin as a 3/1 winner and have Street Poet 1945 in a single and also a Trixie with the other two winners which would make it a lovely day. 

Hope you're all getting on well.

3 hours ago, Barnes1882 said:

Another quiet day for me today, still waiting for the new arrival.

My NAP selection won again, been in great form with my narrowed down selections.

Also had Gherkin as a 3/1 winner and have Street Poet 1945 in a single and also a Trixie with the other two winners which would make it a lovely day. 

Hope you're all getting on well.

Well done with your Nap.  Many thanks for the update on your pending new arrival.  Don't forget to put up selections for the KO cup.  Not sure if @MCLARKE will run this from this Saturday or leave it until the 8th May

7 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

My original posting has gone missing????

RESULTS UPDATE

I have no idea where my original posting went to earlier on today.  Anyway I have pieced the info together and I can see that I had a net loss of £12.42, which isn't bad considering my certainty dutch bet went astray in the 3.20 Ascot where Saint Lawrence was beaten by a 22/1 shot.  So much for betting in graded races! Never mind, I am feeling very upbeat about my new approach to selections and feel that a slow return to profit is not far away.  My new balance is £944.70 (Bank £1056.22

5 UK meetings tomorrow, don't know if I can stay awake to list prices out this evening.  Will give it a go