Hunter Chases 12.00 Wincanton and 3.07 Stratford

Granted he made harder work of it than I thought he would, but Chase Me got the job done on Friday night. It was a good bit of placing and as I said pre-race it just showed how weak the race was that he was odds on. The 4/5 SP was a gift. Interestingly after the race his jockey mentioned that he would have been better in a bigger field and that he was more dominant than it actually looked watching on. If he wins another hunter chase I will be amazed although he could be worth trying in a handicap hurdle.

Onto this afternoon's action and I can't really see a betting opportunity in the Wincanton contest. Shantou Flyer was very good at Cheltenham and really should have way too much for his rivals here. It also shouldn't matter that his jockey is still finding his fitness. I don't really have a strong view on who will come 2nd either as Keltus and Minella Daddy should both improve for the run after long lay offs.

The Stratford race is much more interesting from a betting point of view. Captain Buck's heads the market after bolting up at Musselburgh last time, but this is a stronger contest for me and will be a much sterner test. He did win over course and distance in July, but that did only come off a mark of 116. He could be good enough, but he has just quirks and at short odds I will take him on. 

On a line through Bletchley Castle Captain Buck's has the beating of Zamparelli, but that horse will have preferred the shorter trip at Ludlow and I think he ran better that day than he did at Musselburgh. I thought Zamparelli was very impressive at Ludlow and he was well on top at the line. He seemed to enjoy being held up and coming past his rivals so the even smaller field round a tight track is a concern, but connections fancied him day and he is getting better with each start this season. On ratings there is nothing between him and Captain Buck's and I think Zamparelli can win again.

I'm Wiser Now was given a superb ride from Liam Harrison over course and distance last time to finally break his maiden tag. He also benefitted from the race falling apart around him as Golden Tobouggan got buzzed up at the start and was taken on for the lead. Maybe now he's got his head in front he will go on with it, but he wouldn't be for me.

On the face of it the other two shouldn't have much of a chance, but I also want Fishy Story onside. For some reason she was held up at Ludlow, but I am hoping that they go back to the tactics they used in the two novice hurdles and make the running with her. If they do that then she looks to be the only pace in the race and she is good enough to possibly take advantage of that fact. She gave it a very good go from the front on the 2nd of those hurdle runs and she has put in impressive front running efforts in points as well. The ground is ideal for her and she travelled pretty well at Ludlow last month before fading. Given she had a wind op a few days after that run she obviously made a noise. If that's worked then she should see her race out better here and she might prove hard to catch. I think she ought to be at least half the price she currently is so looks good value.

Zamparelli 1pt @ 2/1 with everyone

Fishy Story 0.5pts e/w @ 16/1 with Bet365