Announcements
*** Punchestown Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. Craig Bluenose, 2nd. Lee Grays & 3rd. Carole Dawney ***
** April Poker League Result : 1st kevsul, 2nd Rob Valk, 3rd McG **
** Last Man Standing Results - glavintoby & Redno2009 both win £125 **
** April Naps Competition Result: 1st Sugardaddyken, 2nd TRAINMAD091, 3rd Harry Faint99, 4th Gary66. KO Cup Winner Waggy, Most Winners: Xtc12 **

2 hours ago, peanut peanut said:

Why not , if the man thinks it has a good chance he is allowed to bet what he wants if he considers it value all the better.

Anyone can put any amount on a selection if they wish.  However if one wants to preserve one's betting bank and cover losing runs one has, in my opinion, to be sensible.  Many of @Barnes1882selections are on favourites at short odds.  For the sake of argument I wholly agree with his idea of covering his £1,000 pot at £20 level stakes at odds of even money or close to it.  This means that he would have to suffer net current losses of 50 in order to exhaust his betting bank. This seems very safe to me.  However, when one starts to choose selections at higher odds I feel that it is important to reduce stakes accordingly.  Anyone who thinks that they can regularly put money on say horses at 10/1 and above and achieve a strike rate of 50% is potty.  This being so I believe that one should adjust one's stake to allow for price differences.  Hence, for example, with a £1,000 pot and some one feeling very comfortable with £20 stakes on even money selections then if they fancyy a selection at say a 2/1 price then try to make the same amount of profit as a £20 stake at evens, hence a £10 win stake instead of £20.  If the price was 4/1 stake £5, if 10/1 stake £2, if 20/1 then £1 etc.  It is so tempting for all of us sometimes when we convince ourselves that we have found a horse at a decent price to put too much money on it.  One rarely gets something for nothing from our esteemed bookies and don't they just love it when we overstretch ourselves and lose a lot of money to them.  Call me overly cautious if you wish but I ave been around a long time and am confident that me and my betting bank will be for the foreseeable future

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not , if the man thinks it has a good chance he is allowed to bet what he wants if he considers it value all the better.

16.27 Ayr Jessiemac 20/1 b365 All the best.

Anyone can put any amount on a selection if they wish.  However if one wants to preserve one's betting bank and cover losing runs one has, in my opinion, to be sensible.  Many of @Barnes1882selections

2 hours ago, Barnes1882 said:

No mate, in my selections today in the other thread. 0.5pts e/w

Has a good chance in my opinion but I may be wrong. 

I do wish to clarify however that my NAP selection in here is win only. My advised and actual bet on the horse is e/w but for the purpose of this thread, I have selected win.