Announcements
*** Punchestown Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. Craig Bluenose, 2nd. Lee Grays & 3rd. Carole Dawney ***
** April Poker League Result : 1st kevsul, 2nd Rob Valk, 3rd McG **
** Last Man Standing Results - glavintoby & Redno2009 both win £125 **
** April Naps Competition Result: 1st Sugardaddyken, 2nd TRAINMAD091, 3rd Harry Faint99, 4th Gary66. KO Cup Winner Waggy, Most Winners: Xtc12 **

Whilst the Player Championship's ended tonight, we're straight into the Gibraltar Open, tomorrow. A nice early 9am start. In the top half, I like the look of Mark Williams, this week. Judd isn't in the best of form and Mark Allen can be hit and miss. In the bottom half, I'm going to take a chance on Murphy. I also like the look of outsiders, Ali Carter and Pang Junxu.

2pts e/w S.Murphy to win Gibraltar Open 20/1 willhill
1pt e/w M.Williams to win Gibraltar Open 40/1 unibet
---------------------------------------------------------
0.5pts e/w A.Carter to win Gibraltar Open 100/1 willhill
---------------------------------------------------------
0.25pts e/w P.Junxu to win Gibraltar Open 400/1 betfred
0.25pts e/w R.Milkins to win Gibraltar Open 425/1 betfair

Looking at the matches tomorrow, there are 3 that take my fancy. First up, I like Ursenbacher against Sijun. Ursenbacher has become quite the player over the last year or two and Sijun hasn't looked the player he was last year. Milkins, I've gone for in a big outsider quarter bet, but I think he can overcome Gary Wilson, too. He has beaten Wilson in the last two matches and he has seems that during Covid, he has really got down to practicing. Finally, Hicks can't be 6/4 to beat the out-of-form, Taylor.

2.75pts A.Ursenbacher to beat Y.SIjun 10/11 bet365
2.75pts R.Milkins to beat G.Wilson 10/11 bet365
4pts A.Hicks to beat A.Taylor 6/4 bet365
-------------------------------------------
1pt accy Ursenbacher, Milkins, D.Jones & Hicks 17/1 bet365

9am is ridiculously early for snooker! A good array of bets there, maybe this will be your week. I'm interested to see how Hendry gets on, he couldn't have hoped for an easier first rounder against Selt who's never done much in the past and he has a chance even if the odds are against him but he won't beat Hawkins in round 2!

5 hours ago, charliepie said:

9am is ridiculously early for snooker! A good array of bets there, maybe this will be your week. I'm interested to see how Hendry gets on, he couldn't have hoped for an easier first rounder against Selt who's never done much in the past and he has a chance even if the odds are against him but he won't beat Hawkins in round 2!

Yeah, me too. It will be great to see him play again. I’m intrigued to see how good he is. I can’t even see him beating Selt but as you say, Hawkins should deal with him. 

2 winners and a loser yesterday for an even looking day. There's just the one I'm going for today. Bond to beat Wakelin. Wakelin has had a pretty poor time of it this season. He's only beaten Ferg O'Brien, Patrick and Heathcote (championship league apart) and has lost 4-1 and 5-1 in his previous two 1st round tournaments. Bond is plenty experienced enough to take advantage of that sort of form. 

4pts N.Bond to beat C.Wakelin 6/4 willhill

13 hours ago, charliepie said:

I guess he'll probably get thumped tomorrow but a lot of pressure on Selt. Match conditions are totally different though Hendry has been looking good on his Instagram:-) 

I'm really interested to see how he fares. I just can't imagine him hitting the ground running though. I think Selt wins 4-0/4-1. If he sticks with it though, I'm sure he could get above the likes of McManus, Bond, Doherty and all three of those are still a match for most players.

I'm not sure he will ever be back at a high, level though, like Higgins is or Mark Williams.

Bond gets it back to 3-3 and smashes into the pack, like a plank. Loses 4-3 :D  elsewhere, Joe O'Connor does his usual trick of going 3-0 up and losing 4-3. This time to Jimmy White. I'm going to take a couple of points on Selt 4-0 tonight. I just think it can only go very one sided or Hendry grinds out a win.

2pts M.Selt to beat S.Hendry 4-0 11/2 paddypower

Selt played out of his skin tonight, 4-1 was the right call and Hendry will be delighted with his century break and has nothing to be embarrassed about. Not sure he has enough time to make an impact at the world qualies though as his goal is to get back to the Crucible.

Yeah, must admit I didn’t see him getting a century. Selt did play well and I’m sure Hendry will win some matches. 

two bets for me tomorrow. First one is Dale to beat Pengfei. Pengfei got beat 4-0 by McManus in his last match and looked poor when I watched that match. Dales form has been pretty solid for a while now. 

The other one is Jamie O’Neill to beat Lee Walker. O’Neill has beaten better players than Lee Walker recently and has pushed some top players. If he plays to current form, he should have every chance 

2.5pts D.Dale to beat T.Pengfei 6/5 betfred
5.5pts J.O’Neill to beat L.Walker 8/11 Betfair 

small profit, thanks to O'Neill. Dale was terrible. +1.5pts

I'm going to basically lay the same guys I laid before and take Mann and Bingyu to beat them. I thought Mann played really well in the last round and to be honest, I thought Duane Jones was dross against Lilley. Bingyu is only 18 and looks a huge talent. I thought Wakelin played OK, but Dale was so so bad. Dale should have won atleast 2 frames. I think Bingyu will bring alot more pressure.

2.5pts M.Mann to beat D.Lilley 11/10 bet365
2.5pts C.Bingyu to beat C.Wakelin 4/5 bet365
1pt accy - King, Mann, Carrington & Bingyu 14/1 paddypower (money back if one leg loses) 

Gibraltar Open bets -4.5pts

Mann wins but Bingyu manages to lose 4-2 from 2-o up. One bet for tomorrow and that's Jamie O'Neill against Lu Ning. O'Neill looked really good against Lee Walker, with 2 centuries and 2 50+ breaks in his 4-2 win. He went 2-0 down in that match, too. Ning looked terrible against Robertson in the Players but improved to beat Lichtenberg 4-3. He'll have to step it up to beat O'Neill though.

4pts J'O'Neill to beat Lu Ning 7/4 paddypower

O'Neill absolute rubbish. A few big name casualties today, including Williams, Selby and Kyren Wilson. Quite an open looking draw, now. We already know 4 of the final 16. The other 12 matches will take place tomorrow, with the evening being the Last 16 matches.

Murphy and Carter are both playing well for the outright picks. Junxu and Milkins are both still hanging around too. Just the one bet for tomorrow and it's Zifan to beat Jimmy White. We've not seen Jimmy reach the last 32 of a ranking event for a while. He played really well, after going 3-0 down to O'Connor but Bingham was terrible in his next match. I think Zifan wins this one.

5.5pts C.Zifan to beat J.White 10/11 bet365

Gibraltar Open tips -9.25pts

Big surprise to see Murphy and Carter lose and like you I doubted that Jimmy could string together 3 decent matches but he's rolling back the years and looks like he's going to win 4-3(Chen needing snookers) Matt Selt is on fire this week, wish I'd kept backing him after the first round match!

Could today be the day? Hard to recommend a bet on Jack but the h2h is 9-8(to Judd) - not sure if it's best of 7 or 9 but this could work in Jack's favour. Can he overcome the mental block? The way Judd has played suggests there can only be one winner but maybe Jack will get the luck he needs to win tonight. 9/4 not the best price but probably fair enough.

Ah well, sometimes life isn't fair. Trump outdoes Higgin's performance last week by winning 28 frames and only losing 3(Higgins went 28-4 last week) - Lisowski will have to be content to reach 3 finals in a season I suppose.

4 hours ago, charliepie said:

Reminiscent of Stephen "choker" Lee when he was on the circuit!

yeah, although maybe that was because he was paid to lose :D

makes you wonder how Hendry will get on. That defeat to Selt doesn't look too bad atall, now.  

Agree @charliepie

The expansion of the game means that Hendry can come back after so long and at worse win a few matches. Without that, he wouldn't be able to come back and the way the game is now is the only reason Jimmy is able to keep playing as well. Back in the day, the game would have retired him because there were that much fewer places at the table.

3 hours ago, Fader said:

Does anybody know how Hendry was allowed back? because normally to get your tour card you need to go through Q School. I'm pretty sure Hendry didn't.

Definitely didn't come through Q School. It'll be an exemption, like the ones Davis and White had which IIRC were explained away as being given because of their legendary status in the game - obviously that would certainly apply to Hendry.

5 hours ago, Torque said:

Definitely didn't come through Q School. It'll be an exemption, like the ones Davis and White had which IIRC were explained away as being given because of their legendary status in the game - obviously that would certainly apply to Hendry.

Have to admit, does make for interesting viewing, having the likes of Hendry, White, Williams, Doherty etc and then the young guns of the game. I'm all for it, but that tour card is worth alot of money potentially. That's why I ask.

5 minutes ago, Fader said:

Have to admit, does make for interesting viewing, having the likes of Hendry, White, Williams, Doherty etc and then the young guns of the game. I'm all for it, but that tour card is worth alot of money potentially. That's why I ask.

Some think you should be on the tour on merit - as you say there's plenty of money at stake - and so there's no place for the older players unless they earn a card, regardless of previous achievements. Others say that having done the hard yards, having promoted and grown the game and also on the basis that it gives publicity and draws in crowds, the legends of the game more than deserve a card without needing to go to Q school - they've earned their card through their contribution to the sport.

I can see both sides of the argument. Certainly in the case of Hendry, he's not come back for money, but his comeback means that potentially another player for whom the finances in the game make the difference between playing as a pro or having to return to the amateur ranks due to needing to work for a living misses out.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:58 AM, Fader said:

Does anybody know how Hendry was allowed back? because normally to get your tour card you need to go through Q School. I'm pretty sure Hendry didn't.

He was playing golf with Steve Davis and Barry Hearn last year and I think Barry just offered him a two year card so I guess he has the power to do that:-)