** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Masters

Fader

A new year and we have The Masters getting underway, tomorrow. This event will have 24 players competing, including the new world champion, Gerwyn Price. All the big names are here this weekend. 

The top half of the event houses the new world champion. He will face the winner of Bunting and Cullen. I think the top half is most certainly the "easier" half, with the bottom half having both Peter Wright and MVG in it. It also has the likes of De Sousa, Wade, Van Den Bergh in it. For the likes of Smith, Wade, Chizzy etc there is also the pressure of a premier league spot up for grabs.

In the top half, I'm going to give Anderson a try. Anderson has reached the final of the worlds without really playing that great. Since then he has signed a new contract and is telling the world that he is hungry again. He has pretty much gone on record saying that he will win a third title and he said at the worlds that his season starts in Jan and he is practicing more. I'll give him a shot here. I think he will want some revenge against Price if they meet again.

I'll also take outsider bets on King and Cullen. Half of the top half is quite weak, featuring players that are struggling, such as Durrant, Cross, White, Suljovic. I think King could be highly motivated this weekend. He could even get that last Premier League spot if he makes the final here. Cullen had a good worlds and at 50/1 his price is just too big.

In the bottom half, there are also lots of unknowns. Wade and Chisnall have huge tournaments here because if either go out early then there is no chance they go into the Premier League. I think Chizzy needs to make a semi-final atleast if he wants to guarantee a spot. I am going to back him, in the bottom half. The other player I will take a chance with is De Sousa. I've got a niggly feeling that De Sousa may actually fail to deliver this weekend but quite honestly, 33/1 is too big. If he beats MVG, that price goes to around 12/1 to 16/1.

2pts G.Anderson to win The Masters 16/1 unibet
1pt E/W D.Chisnall to win The Masters 20/1 bet365
-----------------------------------------------
1pt E/W J.De Sousa to win The Masters 33/1 bet365
1pt E/W M.King to win The Masters 40/1 bet365
1pt E/W J.Cullen to win The Masters 50/1 paddypower

In terms of matches there a couple I like tonight. In the first match. I’m going to take Sulijovic to beat White. Mensur’s boring slow style really seems to get into Whites head and he has a good record against him.

The next I’m going to have a bet on, is King to beat Durrant. King has enjoyed an upturn in form recently and comes off of a good worlds. Durrant has been very average since the premier league finale.

2.5pts M.Sulijovic to beat I.White 11/10
2.5pts M.King to beat G.Durrant evens

2pts Cullen, De Sousa and Gurney to win 7/2 paddypower
1pt Sulijovic, King and Dobey 14/1 paddypower 

0.5pts Smith, Gurney, De Sousa and Cullen all to win, most 180a and highest checkout 175/1 skybet 

liking the look of these outright picks @Fader was impressed by anderson and king in the world champs, after reading this i remember Andersons interviews during the world champs, saying he was really going for it this year which is unlike him, normal interviews hes always saying he hasn't been bothered to practice and hes too old etc so im liking the 16/1 on Anderson

2nd round gets started at lunchtime tomorrow. Line up :

afternoon session
Cross Vs King
Wade Vs Dobey
Aspinall Vs Suljovic

Chisnall Vs Gurney

evening session
Anderson Vs Lewis
Wright Vs Whitlock
Price Vs Cullen
MVG Vs Clayton

I think Merv King is worth backing again. Rob Cross is another player struggling for form but I do expect a decent performance from him. I think if King can hit another 100 average then he wins this. He won the last head-to-head 10-4. The oher I like in the afternoon session is Chizzy to beat Gurney. Gurney got through round 1 with a win over De Zwaan but he hit just an 89 average. That isn't going to beat Chisnall. I will be looking to lay Aspinall in this event, much like Van Den Bergh. Van Den Bergh had surgery but for Aspinall, he has new darts. Still, Suljovic did not look anything special and so i'll side with Aspinall this time.

In the evening session, I will take Cullen to beat Price. Cullen looked good enough on that showing with a 100+ average. We don't know how Price is going to go out there tomorrow and what I do think will happen is, he will want to win this event and carry on his dominance. I think when you try "too hard" in darts, it can go against you. I'll also take Clayton against MVG. Again, Clayton played well today and MVG comes into this without a game in hand to warm up.

2.75pts M.King to beat R.Cross 8/11 bet365
2.75pts D.Chisnall to beat D.Gurney 8/11 bet365
2.5pts J.Cullen to beat G.Price 11/5 skybet
2pts J.Clayton to beat MVG 7/2 bet365
---------------------------------------------------------
1pt afternoon accy - King, Wade, Aspinall & Chisnall 8/1 paddypower
1pt evening accy - Cullen, Clayton & Anderson 20/1 unibet

0.5pts outsider accy - King, Wade, Chisnall, Cullen, Clayton 66/1 betfred

I was looking to get something up lastnight but the markets wasn't up yet. Ofcourse, it was King that I was interested in and that's too late now. I'm going to leave Chisnall and hope he can get through and I can't personally see Lewis getting past Price. The only outsiders chance I like is Clayton to beat Wade. He has won the last two between the two. The only worry is that normally a poor performance comes after a big win against the likes of MVG. 

all in all, I'm not too excited by the QFs. Maybe semi-finals will be better, tonight. Semi-final and final all played tonight.

2.5pts J.Clayton to beat J.Wade 6/5 betfred

My laptop is playing up at moment. Pile of crap. I can’t do a proper write up on the semi finals. I’m going to take a double on price and Peter Wright though. I hope that King can prove me wrong and beat Price because that would mean a placing payment atleast on King.

4pts price and wright double 6/4 paddypower 

Sigh! I thought it was too good to be true. King didn't really turn up. I've backed Clayton many times over the past 12 months. He would have to win one when I don't. A good outcome for the event though and King making the final means a 20/1 result. 

Masters tips +41.75pts
Darts 2021 +41.75pts