Announcements
*** Punchestown Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. Craig Bluenose, 2nd. Lee Grays & 3rd. Carole Dawney ***
** April Poker League Result : 1st kevsul, 2nd Rob Valk, 3rd McG **
** Last Man Standing Results - glavintoby & Redno2009 both win £125 **
** April Naps Competition Result: 1st Sugardaddyken, 2nd TRAINMAD091, 3rd Harry Faint99, 4th Gary66. KO Cup Winner Waggy, Most Winners: Xtc12 **

Tennis Tips - February 1 - February 7

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aryna Sabalenka to win the 2nd quarter at 2.10 with bet365 Taking a look at this market this is the one i like the most for this tournament. In the 1st quarter Halep is priced at 1.66 but sh

Garbiñe Muguruza (-4,5 Games) to beat Alison Van Uytvanck at 1.83 with bet365 Last one. Muguruza's 2020 was impressive. She ended with a 23-7 record, including a Final in the AO, beating Svitolin

Dane Sweeney to beat Ji Sung Nam at 2.30 with William Hill Sweeney is a glass cannon that can lose to anyone, but he tends to perform well on home ground and he looked surprisingly good in the AO

Posted Images

Elena Rybakina to beat Barbora Krejcikova at 1.50 with William Hill

Krejcikova has won today against Lauren Davis (6-4, 4-6, 6-4) in a match where the czech player was priced at 1.28 due to how bad Davis was in 2020 (7-13). She played in Abu Dhabi, where she won against Loeb but then lost against Putintseva, both in 2 sets. I never expected such results from her in Singles but I have to say that where she has achieved better results is on clay, where she reached the 4th round of RG in 2020. She did well also in the AO, beating Bondar, Lepchenko and Vickery in the qualy and Kanepi (7-6, 2-6, 6-3) in the 1st round, but then she was destroyed by Alexandrova (1-6, 3-6). Rybakina still has not played any singles match here but she played in Abu Dhabi where she won against Stefanini, Xiyu Wang and Kasatkina, all of them in straight sets, and then lost against Sabalenka in a 3 set match. She was impressive in 2020 (29-10), playing 5 WTA Finals (Shenzhen, Hobart, Saint Petersburg, Dubai and Strasbourg). Yesterday she played a doubles match along Shvedova, losing it by 6-4, 6-2 (vs Jurak/Stojanovic). Krejcikova is doing well but Rybakina is just too good for her. 

Nadia Podoroska to beat Marketa Vondrousova at 2.37 with bet365

I have watched some parts of both players' matches. Vondrousova has been a mess for a long time. She lost in the 1st round of the AO in 2020 against Kuznetsova and the only remarkable thing she did was reaching the SFs of Rome. In Abu Dhabi she lost in the 1st round against Hsieh and today she has suffered a lot against Zvonareva (7-6, 6-7, 6-4). Podoroska ended 2020 with an impressive 45-8, including a SFs in RG. She lost in the 1st round in Abu Dhabi against Sorribes, in 2 sets. She has won against Francesca Jones (6-1, 6-3), Minnen (6-3, 6-4) and Kvitova (5-7, 6-1, 7-6). At these odds I like Podoroska because she's in a very good form while Vondrousova is so far from hers.

I still have another one that I will post later. GL.

2 hours ago, darko08 said:

Nadia Podoroska to beat Marketa Vondrousova at 2.37 with bet365

I have watched some parts of both players' matches. Vondrousova has been a mess for a long time. She lost in the 1st round of the AO in 2020 against Kuznetsova and the only remarkable thing she did was reaching the SFs of Rome. In Abu Dhabi she lost in the 1st round against Hsieh and today she has suffered a lot against Zvonareva (7-6, 6-7, 6-4). Podoroska ended 2020 with an impressive 45-8, including a SFs in RG. She lost in the 1st round in Abu Dhabi against Sorribes, in 2 sets. She has won against Francesca Jones (6-1, 6-3), Minnen (6-3, 6-4) and Kvitova (5-7, 6-1, 7-6). At these odds I like Podoroska because she's in a very good form while Vondrousova is so far from hers.

I still have another one that I will post later. GL.

Hmmmm!  In my humble opinion from the evidence already on ground, this looks quite easy to untangle on the face of it. Marketa's game is similar to Swiatek in the sense that you look at their both their games and cannot figure out what they do well enough to keep winning. I would think that it has to do with the spins, semi-moonballs and awkward angles that they throw at their opponents to keep them guessing throughout the match. Head to head stands at 1-1 and at that score of 6-0 6-1 by Marketa, it will be safe to assume that Podoroska must have been pulverized and frustrated with the mixture of shots coming at her that I described previously. It can be argued that that was 2017 and Podoroska has come a long way since then, and also it took place on clay Vondrousova favorite surface. I disagree.First Vondrousova is younger and looks the more progressive player especially considering that she also plays well on hard courts. Vondrousova is also in a rich vein of form on hard which began in December 2020 and runs through beating the beating of Kvitova and Alexandrova albeit very easily . That form should be good enough to take care of Podoroska who judging from her victories over Minen, Jones and an undercooked Kvitova, still falls short of the sort of standard needed to take Vondrousova out.

15 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Well, it's shocking honestly. It's not even a player who tested positive. What's going to happen if this comes up during the Grand Slam? Just have no spectators and let the thing run ffs.

Agree !! I think Australia got cocky. I was reading they have an average of 2-3 cases a day on the whole country! They obviously doing pretty good regarding the pandemic but then again, we all have seen the games and they are in huge attendance  of fans with no masks and I’m guessing AO would be even more attendees.

@liquidglassC'mon... don't be lazy and find more examples .  I don't care how much spin put on her shots, or how good are her drop shots and angles,... IMO she's so far from what I saw from her in 2019... As I said, if you're assuming Podoroska can't deal with such players, find more examples, don't tell me that she can't deal with them just because Swiatek and Vondrousova (in 2017...) won easily against her. BTW, Swiatek not only destroyed Podoroska in RG, she destroyed 10 more players, including Halep (6-1, 6-2) and Kenin (6-4, 6-1). It's more a matter of form. The only thing I'm agree with you is that Vondrousova is overall better player and has more progression but she's far from her best form and I dont like what I have watched from her recently. Anyway, in some way i found interesting your point of view.

6 hours ago, darko08 said:

@liquidglassC'mon... don't be lazy and find more examples .  I don't care how much spin put on her shots, or how good are her drop shots and angles,... IMO she's so far from what I saw from her in 2019... As I said, if you're assuming Podoroska can't deal with such players, find more examples, don't tell me that she can't deal with them just because Swiatek and Vondrousova (in 2017...) won easily against her. BTW, Swiatek not only destroyed Podoroska in RG, she destroyed 10 more players, including Halep (6-1, 6-2) and Kenin (6-4, 6-1). It's more a matter of form. The only thing I'm agree with you is that Vondrousova is overall better player and has more progression but she's far from her best form and I dont like what I have watched from her recently. Anyway, in some way i found interesting your point of view.

Lol! To be honest I never mentioned Swiatek in relation to the French Open Final, I was just writing thinking on the fly and named Swiatek simply on the basis of her awkward and seemingly unrefined way of playing. We have all together been jointly contributing on this forum now for many years that would ordinarily seem short. In those years i have come to realize that we all have our various styles of tipping which essentially has been great for the forum. I respect everyone's views on here in the sense that most opinions whether right or wrong in the end, always come with a great deal of handy information that can either be used for the immediate or future game. I have to say that regardless of the head to head record or the form available, Most times as a tournament starts entering the business end, I am almost always able to sense the winner of the various matches as they move towards the final. I do not know if anyone else feels the same way,.Vondrousova just looks like the kind of player that would not have bothered getting this far if she was not going to make the later rounds like the semis or final. She either crashes out early or makes a meaningful deep run. I know you have disregarded her red hot form because of the dog fight she had with Vera who really is a deceptively brilliant player.. Make no mistake, Vera is still a classy veteran who can be quite hard to beat with that victorian flat-hitting style of hers used to perfection. I appreciated the points you made all the same. We will see how this unfolds. 

20 hours ago, CzechPunter said:

Well, Kvitova losing three serves in a row, that's something. It's yesterday's good work undone as well, which is frustrating.

but didn't she struggle yesterday against an ageing venus williams. a 40 yr old should have been beaten quite easily. think kvitova is done as well and its time to hand over the baton to osaka's abd barty's of the world. even iga as I think she is the next steffi graf

Edited by bet4fun

@bet4fun

"even iga as I think she is the next steffi graf"

Iga should first include some brainsurgeon or shaman, apart from already employed psychologist, fitness and tennis trainers, to be considered in the top WTA ranking. Her helpless and terrifying performance against Alexandrova was pathetic.

Edited by lelit

@liquidglass I also got that "feeling" you're talking about but then, sometimes, I realize how wrong I was so I prioritize what players have done recently. I remember that you thought that Kerber was in the US Open to do big things, despite her lack of matches. I never thought that but I thought how lucky she was with the draw so I considered she could have a deep run. I even recommended her victory against Tomjlanovic in the 1st round. I did not like her at all but my thought was: "well, it's her first match after a long time, she will get better". Then I saw her, now as a big favorite for the bookies, against Friedsam. I did not appreciate any kind of progression on her, probably she could have lost the match if Friedsam would have won that tight TB in the 2nd set. I even thought there was value on Ann Li considering what Kerber did. She won but, again, suffering and showing no signs of progression on her game. And finally the reality struck her in the 4th round, Brady pulverised her. I guess that the main point here is that we differ about the current form of Vondrousova. My opinion about her is that she's not trustable yet. I'm very stubborn with these kind of things. When I see a player coming from a bad streak I need to see her playing well in a considerable number of matches in more than 1 tournament. I hate so much to be fooled by some players "glimpses"... So, while Podoroska is playing the best tennis of her career and is super confident on herself right now, Vondrousova has not proved to me that she's on the right way... Can I be wrong? Sure... But my perception was that there was value on Podoroska at 2.37.

Brandon Nakashima to beat Maximilian Marterer at 1.61 with Unibet

The odds are pretty short, but I saw Marterer yesterday against Fabbiano and there wasn't anything I liked. He served average for such a big man and he wasn't finishing points when he should be, low on confidence. Nakashima has certainly looked better than him in recent times and is the better player overall as well, so I think there's slight value even in this price.

Muguruza vs Vondrousova

Certainly a clash of styles in prospect here which should lead to only one foreseeable outcome. Both have been in reasonable form coming into this semi, but it is the form of the spanish bully that stands out as most impressive. Though there is no head to head to follow, there are a few other indicators that point to where we should be putting our hard earned cash. Muguruza will be hoping for a third title on aussie soil having won 10 titles previously on hardcourts. I just do not think that Marketa will be afforded the room to manipulate the ball enough. Muguruza takes the ball on the rise almost every time and that will mean Vondrousova under constant pressure from the get go. I also would not expect this to go long as I see Marketa packing up quickly as the ball bashing gets more consistent. If there was a more compelling reason to fade Marketa, it will be due to the 6sets played between her last 2 opponents. She faces a real tall order here. Muguruza to win cosily.

Daniel Evans to beat Jeremy Chardy at 1.72 with Pinnacle

One seriously has to wonder how Chardy got to this stage. Cilic should've won easily against him, yet it went to three sets and the Croat missed several match points. Other opponents then more or less forgot to show up as well. Living a charmed life is the Frenchman, but Evans should be the roadblock to finally stop him. I was expecting something in the line of 1.57, Evans is the superior player at this point.

15 hours ago, CzechPunter said:

Brandon Nakashima to beat Maximilian Marterer at 1.61 with Unibet

The odds are pretty short, but I saw Marterer yesterday against Fabbiano and there wasn't anything I liked. He served average for such a big man and he wasn't finishing points when he should be, low on confidence. Nakashima has certainly looked better than him in recent times and is the better player overall as well, so I think there's slight value even in this price.

Good shout, CP. I'll admit I got a little worried after Marterer dropped about 3 points on his serve in first set, and then won the TB 7-1!

55 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Daniel Evans to beat Jeremy Chardy at 1.72 with Pinnacle

One seriously has to wonder how Chardy got to this stage. Cilic should've won easily against him, yet it went to three sets and the Croat missed several match points. Other opponents then more or less forgot to show up as well. Living a charmed life is the Frenchman, but Evans should be the roadblock to finally stop him. I was expecting something in the line of 1.57, Evans is the superior player at this point.

Evans was excellent against Coric. 

Aliassime vs Moutet

Aliassime looks to be playing well, perhaps the the sort of form the feels good but not good enough having hung on to life dearly by his claws in the last two matches. The h2h is 3-0 Aliassime with all three victories being very easy. I am willing to take the chance here on Moutet. His current form looks credible enough to come out on top in a match like this just before the start of the Aussie Open. There is also the feeling that Aliassime might default at some point if the kitchen gets too hot. I just hope that happens after the first set. Moutet to win here.

4 hours ago, liquidglass said:

Muguruza vs Vondrousova

Certainly a clash of styles in prospect here which should lead to only one foreseeable outcome. Both have been in reasonable form coming into this semi, but it is the form of the spanish bully that stands out as most impressive. Though there is no head to head to follow, there are a few other indicators that point to where we should be putting our hard earned cash. Muguruza will be hoping for a third title on aussie soil having won 10 titles previously on hardcourts. I just do not think that Marketa will be afforded the room to manipulate the ball enough. Muguruza takes the ball on the rise almost every time and that will mean Vondrousova under constant pressure from the get go. I also would not expect this to go long as I see Marketa packing up quickly as the ball bashing gets more consistent. If there was a more compelling reason to fade Marketa, it will be due to the 6sets played between her last 2 opponents. She faces a real tall order here. Muguruza to win cosily.

yeah gg on this. 1.4+ on Garbine seems generous, in hindsight.