** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League Predictions > Jan 23rd - 28th

eplratings.jpg

The Premier League might only have one game on this weekend but there's a full schedule in midweek so I've combined the fixtures together to make this thread. Here are the odds and ratings for those games. Give us your predictions down below for what is set to be another riveting week of action! :ok

VILLA v NEWCASTLE

Newcastle have slipped in previous weeks. Confidence is low, and momentum poor. In the last 7 league games they have picked up just 2 points. They have scored 1 goal in their last 5 games (same as Liverpool and Southampton).

Villa have gone in the other direction. They played well against Man United and Man CIty and lost both games. Crazy, strange offside Man City goal swung the game. Not sure how someone can come back from 20 yards offside and then make a tackle and change the game. Just seems crazy. But the bottom line is that Villa were not outplayed. Slightly better finishing, and a little luck and they could have had a result here.

Jack Grealish had a fantastic game. His decision making was brilliant, and his distribution/set-up play absolutely fantastic. Then add in a ridiculous work rate/stamina and you have a guy that turn a game on it's head.

The current version of Newcastle simply cannot play with this Villa side. I expect a convincing home win here, with 2nd half goals. Villa have the highest goals per game (2nd half) in the Premier league at home.

Home Win & Over 2.5 : Odds 2.1

Aston Villa vs Newcastle

The only Premier League fixture taking place this weekend is the 8pm GMT kick-off on Saturday evening between out-of-form sides Aston Villa and Newcastle which is scheduled to be played at Villa Park. Unfortunately, both of these teams suffered early eliminations from the FA Cup in the 3rd Round and can now make up some ground for the fixtures they had to postpone due to their respective coronavirus outbreaks.

Aston Villa had started this season so well but now sit down in 11th place after a run of no wins in three attempts in the league. That spell includes two matches postponed due to coronavirus so the club hasn't actually experienced a win in the league since Boxing Day. Dean Smith's men have had to play Manchester City, Manchester United, and Chelsea in those three league games so maybe we shouldn't be too critical. If they were to lose this game then it would be the first time since 2001 that they have lost their first three league games of a calendar year. On the flip side, if they keep a clean sheet here then it'll be the first time since 2012 that they have kept three clean sheets at home in the league in a row.

Newcastle are in their traditional downturn of form that could well see them dragged into yet another relegation dog fight. Steve Bruce had appeared to be silencing the critics but it's now 8 matches without a win in all competitions. The Magpies are down to 15th in the table and now just 7 points above the relegation zone. Just 1 goal scored in their last 6 competitive matches shows you exactly where the issues are with this Newcastle side. The bad news continues with Newcastle having lost 5 games in a row on the road in all competitions. It's really hard to see how they're going to find their way out of this slump.

There's not a lot for Newcastle fans to be positive about at the moment but they have only lost 1 of their last 14 meetings with Aston Villa. Sadly, it was in this fixture last season that the single defeat happened. It's also now been three league meetings in the Premier League with Aston Villa that Newcastle have failed to score. You wouldn't bet against it happening again here. I'm expecting a narrow Villa win.

Aston Villa to Win to Nil @ 3.00 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 2.70 with SBK

Not sure that your view of Aston Villa being out of form is correct, Stevie. They had more than 50% possession against Man Utd who were handed a very dubious penalty just after Villa had equalised, then they were thwarting Man City for 80 minutes until the controversial offside (that was not given) leading to Bernardo Silva scoring.

That said, Villa have certainly made heavy weather of some home games and tonight might be no exception despite hapless Newcastle being the opponents. Villa notch up plenty of corners at home and centre back Ezrie Konsa has managed a couple of goals resulting from set pieces this season. I feel Konsa's goal minutes are worth a buy at 3 with Sporting Index.

19 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Not sure that your view of Aston Villa being out of form is correct, Stevie. They had more than 50% possession against Man Utd who were handed a very dubious penalty just after Villa had equalised, then they were thwarting Man City for 80 minutes until the controversial offside (that was not given) leading to Bernardo Silva scoring.

That said, Villa have certainly made heavy weather of some home games and tonight might be no exception despite hapless Newcastle being the opponents. Villa notch up plenty of corners at home and centre back Ezrie Konsa has managed a couple of goals resulting from set pieces this season. I feel Konsa's goal minutes are worth a buy at 3 with Sporting Index.

I watched that Villa game against City, and I thought Grealish was outstanding. His decision making was brilliant, and he was able to link the play so well. If he is half firing Villa win this going away. I think Ollie Watkins has a big night here. If Villa can run rings around Liverpool, and demolish Arsenal away (could have been 6-0 but was only 3), they could give Newcastle a proper beating.

17 minutes ago, Alley Cat Glover said:

Watkins hatrick boosted to 50/1 with Sky Bet not the worst bet to have but depends how Villa react to Wednesdays disappointment against Man City they put a lot into that performance and -1 handicap at 5/4 just about right. 

Thanks - had a bit of that 50/1. Watkins could be ready to click again, especially if he can stay the right millimetre of the ridiculous offside line.

Villa will certainly miss McGinn, as Nakamba is far more defensive. However, Barkley could spark if Villa see plenty of possession.

Southampton vs Arsenal

Southampton will host Arsenal for the second time in three days. The hosts came up as the winners from the first one and went further in the next round of the FA Cup. Gabriel’s own goal was a decisive one in this game, which was very tight. The Saints sit in 10th place, but they are only five points behind the top four. However, they have been inconsistent in the past five rounds, as Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side celebrated only once during that period. Nevertheless, Ryan Bertrand and the lads haven’t conceded four times in a row at St. Mary’s Stadium in all competitions. Southampton plays pretty disciplined football this season, and although they haven’t been too efficient, their defense is doing a very good job. They booked five home victories from nine occasions and want to continue a positive run at their soil.

Arsenal improved their Premier League form recently as Mikel Arteta’s side failed to win just once in the last five rounds. Since this campaign is pretty disappointing for the Gunners, they still have the chance to get back in the race for one of the continental spots. The visitors are two points behind their upcoming rivals, and they will be looking to continue the good streak. Despite their own goal in the latest clash, Kieran Tierney and the lads have significantly improved their defensive work. They managed to keep the clean sheet five times in a row before Saturday’s match. Although Arsenal plays much more disciplined in the back, Nicolas Pepe and the lads need to be more clinical in front of the oppositions’ net as they netted only 23 times. Their away record is pretty decent, and Arsenal booked two straight victories on the road. The Gunners are searching for the third one in a row.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction

We expect to see a very tight clash, and both sides have their chances of remaining undefeated. Therefore, we wouldn’t be surprised if the game ends in a draw.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams have been involved in a lot of low-scoring matches lately. Their last three head-to-head clashes remained under a 2.5 margin, and we don’t expect much different one this time,

Draw @ 3.40

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.90

Correct score 1:1 @ 7.00

Crystal Palace

They are in poor state recently. They have been almost winless except a 2-0 victory over Sheffield United in last game. And they have been knocked out of England FA Cup. Seeing from the statistics, they are weak on both offensive and defensive.

West Ham United

They play well after bringing in foreign players. With a five-match winning streak recently, they rank the seventh in the table of the League. There are only two points separating them from the sixth. It is likely for them to be in European games zone. 

Verdict:

There is a big gap between Crystal Palace and West Ham United. The Iron are in good form with a five-match winning streak. The Asian handicap first odd is West Ham United -0.25. West Ham United are going to take three points from Crystal Palace as expected.

Crystal Palace VS West Ham United

Prediction: 0-1, 0-2

Southampton

With the help of their top scorer, Danny Ings, The Saints have scored 26 goals this season so far. Now they are the tenth in the table of the League. And they defeat Arsenal in last game of England FA Cup. They are full of ambitions to rank top sixth.

Arsenal

They are getting well in recent games, taking 13 points from Newcastle United, Crystal Palace, WBA, Brighton Hove Albion and Chelsea, which makes them up to the eleventh in the table of the League. They lose to Southampton in last game. It is time for them to make a revenge.

Verdict:

Both of them are in good form. Southampton have psychological advantage because they win over Arsenal in last game. The Asian handicap first odd is Arsenal -0.25. The result of the game is suggested be a draw.

Southampton VS Arsenal

Pick: Arsenal -0.25

9 hours ago, ALEXXXXXXXX said:

Crystal Palace

They are in poor state recently. They have been almost winless except a 2-0 victory over Sheffield United in last game. And they have been knocked out of England FA Cup. Seeing from the statistics, they are weak on both offensive and defensive.

West Ham United

They play well after bringing in foreign players. With a five-match winning streak recently, they rank the seventh in the table of the League. There are only two points separating them from the sixth. It is likely for them to be in European games zone. 

Verdict:

There is a big gap between Crystal Palace and West Ham United. The Iron are in good form with a five-match winning streak. The Asian handicap first odd is West Ham United -0.25. West Ham United are going to take three points from Crystal Palace as expected.

Crystal Palace VS West Ham United

Prediction: 0-1, 0-2

Zaha is back here for Palace and this can be a Huge Boost for Crystal today. WestHam for me are overperforming a little bit at the Moment. There Wins are all close from Results and it´s also a little bit depended how they get Antonio into the Game. Same on the Side of Palace and also WestHam can create some chances and goals with Header this season - for me Palace are not there bad in defend such type of Football...

I´ll go here for the Draw....

Everton vs Leicester City

Everton improved its form recently, and the hosts celebrated four times in the last five rounds. They already beat Leicester City on the road, booked two more away victories. The Toffees are only two points behind their fiercest rivals Liverpool, but with two games in hand. Carlo Ancelotti’s team was pretty confident in the FA Cup as well, as they advanced to the next round thanks to a 3:0 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Dominic Calvert-Lewin ended his goal drought in that match with a 29th-minute opener. Everton improved its defensive work lately as the hosts conceded only twice in the last five games in all competitions. However, they need to improve their home displays as the Toffees have already lost three times on nine occasions at their pitch. With a potential victory in this clash, Everton can advance to the top four on the table.

Leicester City entered a winning streak as they celebrated five times in a row. From those five, three victories came in the Premier League, and that run launched them to 3rd spot. The Foxes are only two points behind Manchester City and leveled up with Man City in the 2nd place. Jamie Vardy and the lads are among the most efficient teams in the competition with 35 goals scored, and Brandon Rodgers’s side plays very attractive football. However, the Foxes’ top goalscorer won’t be available for this game due to an injury. Leicester City also enjoys its FA Cup campaign, and they are still in the competition after a 3:1 victory over Brentford last weekend. The visitors have improved their defense lately, and they managed to keep the clean sheet in the previous two rounds in the Premier League. Leicester City puts excellent displays on the road, as they allowed only four points to their hosts. The away side wants to extend its winning streak and attack the top spot.

Both teams have been in excellent form lately, and we expect to see an exciting clash. We wouldn’t be surprised if the game ends in a draw since both sides have chances of remaining undefeated.

Goals Market Prediction

Neither side managed to keep the clean sheet five times on the previous seven occasions in their head-to-head clashes. We expect another efficient game, and the nets shouldn’t remain still.

Draw @ 3.30

BTTS Yes @ 1.80

Correct score 1:1 @ 6.50

It remains to be seen if the new phenomenon of coach change that is underway this week, and with the selection of the Chelsea team and the tactics covered by uncertainty, this is a difficult game. The Wolves will be desperate to take advantage of the home side's volatile situation as they look to pull themselves out of their own routine, and we can see Chelsea's first post-Lampard game end in a win, as the players will be before their responsibilities
CHELSEA vs WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS @@ CHELSEA, odds 1.68

Spurs v Liverpool

Liverpool look like they have hit a brick wall. Goals have dried up, and there are issues upfront. Maybe some friction between Mane and Salah. Firmino is not playing well.

Another huge factor is fatigue. I think the way in which Liverpool played last season has drained the team. I don't think the heavy metal, foot to the pedal football is sustainable through a long tough season. Liverpool were at it this way two season's in a row, and it looks a bridge to far. For me this could be the first of two away defeats this week for the reigning champions. West Ham will be licking their chops ...

van Djik is also a huge miss. He set up the defense and let the team play in a certain way. Now they look a little unsure of themselves. Pool are ripe for the taking, and I think Spurs will do just that.

Mourinho has an excellent squad ... probably their only weakness is a lack of belief. They are good, but they have never won anything. They need some winners, who's winning mentality will rub off. If Tottenham can beat a good Man City side, they can definitely beat a struggling Liverpool side. There is no ON-switch for a struggling team ... and Liverpool's struggles will continue here. My only worry is that Spurs stop playing at 2-0, and the over 2.5 goal bet loses again.

Home Win & Over 2.5 : Odds 3.25

Brighton vs Fulham

It's great to see everyone contributing and covering so many different games from these midweek fixtures. Some great tips being posted so far so let's hope the results fall in our favour tonight as the second of three nights of top flight action take place. I'm going to cover the relegation battle between Brighton and Fulham that's set to kick-off at 7:30pm GMT on Wednesday night from the Amex Stadium.

Brighton will come into this game boosted by a huge 1-0 win away to an erratic Leeds in their last league game. Graham Potter's side picked up their first league win after a winless run of 9 matches. The 3 points picked up in that victory has moved the club 5 points clear of the relegation zone and that gap will be extended with a win here against 18th placed Fulham. The Seagulls are still yet to win a league game at home this season though with it now being 13 league matches at home since they last tasted victory. A win here would only be the second time under Potter's management that Brighton will have won back-to-back league games. To add to the pessimism, Brighton have never won a Premier League game on a Wednesday having drawn 5 and lost 5.

Fulham had looked to be turning a corner as they ground out draws against superior opposition but Scott Parker's side failed to pick up a win in any of those matches. The Cottagers are down in 18th place still and 5 points adrift of safety. It's also now 8 league games without a win and the 3-0 loss at home to Burnley in the FA Cup 4th Round has seen more defeat thrown at them. That has extended their losing run in all competitions to three matches. Defence remains a problem for Parker with only West Brom and Sheffield United keeping fewer clean sheets than the London club this season.

Is this the game where experience at this level really tells? This is a huge match for both of these teams. We could either see Brighton pull away from the relegation zone and inflict a psychological blow to their opponents or we could see Fulham claw their way back out of trouble. Or the teams could nullify each other in a totally uninspiring affair. I've praised Brighton a lot this season and feel a good run of results is always just around the corner. I know a lot of pundits and tipsters are torn between the home win and draw. I think Brighton's home form is the sticking point for me so I'm going to go for a draw.

Draw @ 3.50 with RedZone

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.74 with SBK

Can someone please explain why the odds on Burnley are so juicy. I`m not saying this just because they beat Liverpool - they`ve shown incredible team spirit  and have been rock solid at the back this season. They are a hardworking, physical team. They lack creativity but are SO difficult to break. Oh yes, I must mention goalkeeper Nick Pope who has been in tremendous form recently. I have 4,00 on Burnley at my local bookie which I find a value. I also like the option that Villa won`t score twice @1,75. That`s definitely too much if you ask me. 

Edited by ivanhoe

Burnley v Aston Villa:

12 points on McGinn to get an assist at 13/2 with Lads (also 6/1 Uni)

8 points on Watkins to score a header at 10/1 PP or Hills

12 points on Watkins to have a header on target at 9/2 Sky Bet (also 4/1 with PP)

I think I'm succeeding in my attempt to be more selective with these bets, looking at less games and in more depth, and setting my own idea of a minimum price before I go "shopping".

I'd put Grealish and McGinn roughly on a par for assists despite the former having twice as many (8) as McGinn this season. I'd have wanted at least 4s for either of them but, unsurprisingly, could get nowhere near that for star man Grealish. McGinn worth a punt at 6/1 or more for me.

I had 8/1 as roughly fair for a Watkins header so 10/1 seems reasonable enough. If you're willing to accept that the 10/1 for a headed goal is ok then 9/2 for an attempt being on target seems even better. He's had 17 headed shots this season in as many League games, 3 resulting in goals. presumably some of the remaining 14 were on target!

Burnley v Aston Villa:

Although I'd prefer a more card-happy referee than Paul Tierney I think he may be drawn to a couple of Villa old boys who did not really get a decent crack of the whip at Villa Park and may still have an extra bit of desire against the club that did not require their services.

Burnley right-back Matthew Lowton has only received 2 yellows this season but at times he will be against the very mobile Ollie Watkins not to mention Jack Grealish playing wide left for parts of the game.

In midfield Ashley Westwood has received 5 yellows this season. He is fairly combative and will have to get to grips with the likes of McGinn, Luiz and Grealish so it could get pretty tasty.

Matthew Lowton to be carded 4/1 (Bet 365)

Ashley Westwood to be carded 100/30 (skybet)

Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool

Tottenham has been in fine form lately, as they haven’t lost eight times in a row. During that unbeatable run, they missed the chance to win only twice. After failing to a 2:0 defeat against Leicester City, the Spurs tied four matches without losing in Premier League. Jose Mourinho’s side sits in 6th place, but they are only two points behind West Ham and have two games in hand. Harry Kane and the lads have been pretty productive lately, and they improved their attacking work.On the other hand, Tottenham failed to keep its net intact three times in a row, and they need to tighten up the defense a bit. The home side had some troubles when playing at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium as they booked only four victories on nine occasions. If they want to keep challenging one of the Champions League spots, the hosts need to stop spilling points at their ground.

Liverpool is on a very bad run lately, as they celebrated just one win in the last seven matches in all competitions. That victory came against the youthful Aston Villa in the FA Cup, who had selection troubles due to a Covid-19 pandemic. The latest kick in the teeth came against Manchester United. The Red Devils booked a 3:2 win and eliminated Liverpool from the world’s oldest football competition. Mo Salah and the lads slipped to the 5th position, and they are only one point ahead of their upcoming rivals. The Reds have been facing issues in converting their chances into goals. Liverpool failed to score in the previous four Premier League fixtures. They are currently seven points behind Manchester City, and if they don’t get back on the winning track urgently, Liverpool will lose the chance of defending the title.

Tottenham enjoys a much better form compared to its rivals. They will also search for revenge after losing at Anfield in the stoppage time in December. Therefore, we believe the home side will get at least a point from this clash.

Goals Market Prediction

Jose Mourinho will definitely try to exploit Liverpool’s lack of efficiency and provide them some extra trouble. That’s being said, we expect to see a very tight clash that won’t go over a 2.5 margin.

Tottenham Hotspur AH +0 @ 2.50

Under 2.5 FT @ 2.10

Correct score 1:0 @ 13.00

No joy last night. Spurs v Liverpool tonight and there's one bet that won't come as much of a surprise to anyone who notices my incoherent ramblings on here!

20 points on Son to assist a goal at 9/2 with Lads (boosted from 17/4)

As I've observed before, Kane may be flattered by his assist stats this season but Son is a consistent provider and if I could only follow one player in this market (subject to price holding up) it would be him.

Tottenham vs Liverpool

The big game in the Premier League for these midweek fixtures is the clash on Thursday night between Tottenham and Liverpool in an 8pm GMT kick-off at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Both of these teams were looking like solid title contenders earlier in the season but different dips in form have seen them drop off the pace as their rivals have taken full advantage. Will either side prevail victorious here or will they cancel each other out?

Tottenham come into this game in 6th place but only 2 points outside the Champions League qualification spaces. It's been a turbulent festive and new year period for Jose Mourinho's men but they appear to be steadying the ship slightly. It's now 8 matches without defeat across all competitions as the team seems to be re-discovering some early season form. This game poses a defensive problem that Mourinho must solve with both Ben Davies and Sergio Reguilon ruled out through injury. Matt Doherty is also a doubt. One statistic that is an impressive one for Mourinho is that he's unbeaten in 6 home Premier League games against the reigning champions. However, his record against Jurgen Klopp isn't quite as positive having only won 2 of his 12 encounters with the German.

Liverpool are in danger of letting this season get away from them. Klopp has started to appear to lose his cool on more than a couple of occasions and that's very unlike the composed Reds manager. The team is down to 5th in the table having failed to win any of their last 5 league matches. A combination of injuries and players hitting a bad run of form has hit the side all at once. An example of that is Mohamed Salah who has scored 13 league goals this season but hasn't hit the back of the net during 2021 in the league. The club's premature exit from the FA Cup in the 4th Round this past weekend to rivals Manchester United has also added further pressure to the club's campaign. Away form remains a big concern for Liverpool with the team having only won 1 of their last 8 away league matches. On a more optimistic note, if you're looking for an anytime scorer bet then Roberto Firmino has scored in 4 of his last 5 appearances against Tottenham.

This is a big match for both of these sides. A victory could propel them right back into the title hunt. I mean, personally, I think it's slowly turning out to be Manchester City's to lose but who knows. If you're still in the fight come "twitchy bum time", as Sir Alex Ferguson used to call the Easter period, then you stand every chance. I'm just not sure either team has a) the capabilities to go on and win this game or b) have the desire to risk losing in order to get the win. A draw will suit both teams and I think that's the most likely outcome.

Draw @ 3.90 with Novibet

BTTS @ 1.64 with SBK