** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pricing your own race

Quiet day....just one race 

6.00 pont 

Mustaqqbaal  8.5 25/1  

Irv       8.5   3/1 

James park woods   8.3 

Mustaqbaal is having his first run..so unknown but looks well treated on some form so not out of it and huge price ....irv has been showing some good form so should run well ....top 2 

2 x 5pt wins 

15 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

6.00 pont 

Mustaqqbaal  8.5 25/1  

Irv       8.5   3/1 

James park woods   8.3 

Mustaqbaal is having his first run..so unknown but looks well treated on some form so not out of it and huge price ....irv has been showing some good form so should run well ....top 2 

2 x 5pt wins 

id be cutting 2 points off for age 9 years old lol

1 hour ago, Wildgarden said:

id be cutting 2 points off for age 9 years old lol

Ordinarily I would knock off at least 1pt but his record after a break is 1st 6th 4th and he is very well hcapped currently....has won off 70 and now 64 .....and trainer in winners ....so I just gave him the benefit at that price ....might finish last lol ...but there are a lot of positives ....hes no 25/1 shot for sure 

Oh and 7lb claimer ....good or bad so hes effectively running off 57 !!!

Edited by richard-westwood

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

Ordinarily I would knock off at least 1pt but his record after a break is 1st 6th 4th and he is very well hcapped currently....has won off 70 and now 64 .....and trainer in winners ....so I just gave him the benefit at that price ....might finish last lol ...but there are a lot of positives ....hes no 25/1 shot for sure 

Oh and 7lb claimer ....good or bad so hes effectively running off 57 !!!

yeah u seen the claimer not won yet!

19 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

6.00 pont 

Mustaqqbaal  8.5 25/1  

Irv       8.5   3/1 

James park woods   8.3 

2 x 5pt wins 

2nd ??

I have now completed my ratings analysis and initial results look quite encouraging.

My approach is to concentrate on those variables that appear to have a significant impact on profitability. I have used AE as the measure of profitability.

My analysis suggests that including 5 factors in my rating is the optimal number. 

I calculate the AE for each of the factors and then calculate the average.

Initially I used base data for 2015 to 2018 and tested this on 2019 data. Those horses with an average AE higher than 1.01 generated 1,480 winners from 15,305 runners with a LSP of 409 points at BSP. The AE was 1.06.

I then conducted the same exercise on data for 2016 to 2019, testing on 2020 data. Again this was profitable, with 1,152 winners from 11,046 runners with a LSP of 922 points. The AE was again 1.06.

I am now using data for 2017 to 2020 to determine my 5 key variables to use for the 2020 season. These 5 variables are not ones that are commonly used which I am ok with because to make money in this game you need to find angles that are not obvious.

They are :-

Draw in previous race. Whilst this may not seem relevant it could be that a horse may appear to have run badly in a previous race but this could have been due to a poor draw. Horses drawn 1 to 4 in the previous race have an AE of 0.98.

Days since last run in previous race. I am struggling to understand the logic of this one, it could be something to do with the bounce effect. Horses that last ran over 100 days ago have an AE of 1.05, horses that had a similar gap between it's last run and it's previous run have an AE of 0.95.

SP rank previous race. This appears to have more of an impact than the SP rank in the current race.

Draw in current race. This is a common theme in a lot of my flat systems. Horses drawn 1 to 5 have an AE of 0.98.

Prize money difference from previous race. Again the logic behind this is difficult. The higher the difference, the better the AE. This may be because punters tend to exclude horses that move up or down significantly in class

My main concern at the moment is the high number of qualifiers (80 per day) and the low strike rate (10%).

I will look at ways of refining the system to improve the strike rate without reducing the ROI.

18 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Bank +40.00 (that's clear profit not bank)

145 hay 

Bielsa  9.8  5.9 .....2ND 

Concierge  9.6  14.0 

Capotes dream  9.4 7.0 

Cold stare   9.2  10.5 ...6th ew 

Punch bowl flyer  8.8 .....1ST 

Very close,at the top ....but I've just got to trust the ratings so 5pt wins top 2 

Omg bummer 2nd again....punch bowl wins 18/1 urgh 

18 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

3.45 bev 

Sibaaq  9.3  5/2 

Queens sergeant  8.9 9/1

I have QUEENS SERGEANT top rated at 2.7 with BROKEN SPEAR my only other one to meet my criteria at 2.3.

QUEENS SERGEANT looks a top bet with 6/1 available with BET365. It passes all 5 of my criteria. BROKEN SPEAR fails the 2 draw criteria.

19 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

345 bev 

Sibaaq  9.3  5/2 

Queens sergeant  8.9 9/1 

Gallipoli     8.7 

Sibaaq might've difficult to beat if he can continue improvement off bottom weight ....gallipoli would most likely prefer better ground   that leaves 2x 5pt wins top 2 

Bank is at 20.00..?.....but that doesnt do it justice as the last 3 have finished 2nd !!.....2nd in this ....they are running really well ....just getting pipped 

250 Leicester 

Ahdab  9.1 11/4 

Declared interest  8.9 7/4 

Magnetized  8.9 6.4 betfair 

Tricky race ....declared interest is a question back on turf ...could be well treated hence fav....but equally many horses are less effective on turf so I'll oppose and stick with proven horses ahdab and magnetized 2x 5pt wins 

• 2 weeks later...

1 00 lingfield    fair power @ 7    &   belafonte  @   18

1 35  limgfield    master  the  stars  @  7.6     &     lawn  ranger   @   32  

3 50 lingfield     follow  intello   @  15       &       bird for life  @ 14.5

7 30 windsor   tinto @  7   &    concierge   @  17.5    

all on betfair      

3 55  thirsk    elderbar   @  19    &   lasting  legacey    @  8    

5 10  thirsk true  hero  @ 11   &    sambucca  spirit   @  16  

5 00  ascot  untold story     14   &  postilo   @  21

6 10  ascot   themaxwecan   @ 24   &  throne  hall  @   8

5 pt  win on each  +  24  x   .5 x doubles   

44 25 hamilton   clay regazzoni   @ 7   &  perfect soldier  @ 13.5

5  00  ascot  haqeeqy  @  10    &   finest crowd  @  14

6  23 chelmsford   irish times  @ 12.5    &  socru  @  10

7 23  chelmsford   margub  @ 10   &   asad  @ 10.5  

5 pt win on each   +   24 x  .5  x  doubles

3 25 ripon   ustath  @ 16    &   decesion maker  @  8    

5  35  ascot  kondo  island  @  16 .5   &    surefire   @ 7

6  10  ascot  persuasion @  15  &  aldarary   @ 7

8 10  lingfield   princess animale  @ 9  &  prince  rock  @  14  

5 pt win on each  +  24 x .5  win  doubles 

• 5 weeks later...

Market Rasen 2.05 

Camprond 8.75 4th

Mrs Hyde 8.5 

Hooper 8.3 6th 

Hang In There 8.25 2nd 

Valentino Dancer 7.75 3rd 

big field and very competitive going by the ratings . I’ve put up the top 5 and I’ll note that Valentino Dancer has a trainer and jockey in red hot form, plus he’s Irish trained ? . Top 4 rated are all proven class wise so very hard to separate . 

Unsure what the bet is yet as top rated is skinny odds . Might be better going ew on a horse just below him in the ratings

Mrs Hyde the bet 16/1 ew paying 5 . If she places I only get a bit less than if my top rated won so makes sense, and if she wins it’s a nice big priced winner. 

Edited by Villa Chris

Market Rasen 2.40

Thats A Given 7.8

Captain Tom Cat 7.75

Solomon Grey 7.65

Fire Away 7.25

Captain Tom Cat will be all the buzz here after winning his last 3 by big distances. He’s gone right up in the weights for that which may leave him vulnerable, but he’s obviously very classy . That’s A Given seems to travel well and wind surgery seems to have helped him. Watched a couple of his races back last night and I’d expect him to travel well throughout the race and try and land a blow near the end. He’s ran over further before so he’s got the stamina for this and this shorter distance won’t be a problem. Nice price too. 

That’s A Given 11/1 ew 

All gone very quiet. The conclusion I've arrived at is that you are better backing your selections if the market agrees.

This is the same with my share investments, you are better investing in shares that have been increasing in price rather than shares that have fallen in price, the expression is "don't try and catch a falling knife".

6 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Market Rasen 2.05 

Camprond 8.75 4th

Mrs Hyde 8.5 

Hooper 8.3 6th 

Hang In There 8.25 2nd 

Valentino Dancer 7.75 3rd 

big field and very competitive going by the ratings . I’ve put up the top 5 and I’ll note that Valentino Dancer has a trainer and jockey in red hot form, plus he’s Irish trained ? . Top 4 rated are all proven class wise so very hard to separate . 

Unsure what the bet is yet as top rated is skinny odds . Might be better going ew on a horse just below him in the ratings

Mrs Hyde the bet 16/1 ew paying 5 . If she places I only get a bit less than if my top rated won so makes sense, and if she wins it’s a nice big priced winner. 

The handicapper did his job well. The top 6 separated by 1 and a half lengths with most of the others not far behind them.

2 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

All gone very quiet. The conclusion I've arrived at is that you are better backing your selections if the market agrees.

This is the same with my share investments, you are better investing in shares that have been increasing in price rather than shares that have fallen in price, the expression is "don't try and catch a falling knife".

Might be an angle to go at . If top rated is in the first 2-3 in the betting make it a strong selection. If I remember right, and I’m sure you’ll have the figures anyway, but top 3 in betting have an high % of wins, which obviously makes sense. It does away with value aspect though. 

7 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Market Rasen 2.40

Thats A Given 7.8

Captain Tom Cat 7.75

Solomon Grey 7.65

Fire Away 7.25

Captain Tom Cat will be all the buzz here after winning his last 3 by big distances. He’s gone right up in the weights for that which may leave him vulnerable, but he’s obviously very classy . That’s A Given seems to travel well and wind surgery seems to have helped him. Watched a couple of his races back last night and I’d expect him to travel well throughout the race and try and land a blow near the end. He’s ran over further before so he’s got the stamina for this and this shorter distance won’t be a problem. Nice price too. 

That’s A Given 11/1 ew 

Not even close with any of these