** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pricing your own race

On 4/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, richard-westwood said:

Palace house stakes saturday 

Came from dark  9.6 

Garrus    8.9

Lazuli    8.7 

Aljady  8.4 

Arecibo  8.4 

Tight race but I'll stick with ratings and take the short fav lazuli on .....5/1 both 10pt wins came from ..and garrus 

Just a thought ...Appleby and Buick are top 3 rated on all races I've rated so far ..... could be a sizeable win if all go in and I'm not finished yet (lazuli in this race )  

2nd again here ..4th in the last race ..I think came came from the dark woukd have won if his run hadn't been boxed and checked ....not going too well +481.00 ....but that's the guineas meeting for you 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, richard-westwood said:

Current profit  ....+571.00

2000 guineas  final ratings 

Small bonus for class and ground applied 

St Mark's basilica  9.4 

Master of seas    9.0 

Van gogh        8.9  

Poetic flare     8.8  

Lucky Vega     8.7

Naval crown    8.6 

Wembley      8.6 

Extremely close race as youd expect as you have to be talented to even get in  ......I dont like wembley ...he has been well backed into fav but not proven winner at group 1 .....st Mark's basilica looks a very decent price on betfair currently 13.5   ....has beaten wembley on soft ground ...the adjusted speed figures for that race stack up ..interesting .....master of seas also looks overpriced on betfair at 11.0 .......its an open race but at those prices I'm happy to play those 2 at current prices 

St Mark's basilica 10pt win 13.5 betfair 

Master of the sea    10pt win 11.0 betfair 

With st Mark's out ...3rd rated poetic beats top rated master in a photo ....doesnt get more gutting 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, richard-westwood said:

Current profit  ....+571.00

2000 guineas  final ratings 

Small bonus for class and ground applied 

St Mark's basilica  9.4 

Master of seas    9.0 

Van gogh        8.9  

Poetic flare     8.8  

Lucky Vega     8.7

Naval crown    8.6 

Wembley      8.6 

Extremely close race as youd expect as you have to be talented to even get in  ......I dont like wembley ...he has been well backed into fav but not proven winner at group 1 .....st Mark's basilica looks a very decent price on betfair currently 13.5   ....has beaten wembley on soft ground ...the adjusted speed figures for that race stack up ..interesting .....master of seas also looks overpriced on betfair at 11.0 .......its an open race but at those prices I'm happy to play those 2 at current prices 

St Mark's basilica 10pt win 13.5 betfair 

Master of the sea    10pt win 11.0 betfair 

nearly had tricast?

On 4/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, richard-westwood said:

350 thirsk sat 

Restless endeavour  8.9  6/1 

Freedom flyer  8.0 6/1 

Medicine jack  7.6  10/1 .

Medicine jack is good value ew     but I'll chance top 2 rated both at 6/1 

2x 10pt wins 

And to finish off .....2nd ......unbelievable 

......I think 6 of last 8 races finished 2nd .....so much bad luck ?

+421.00 .....awful couple days ....could have been so much diff 

Cant complain about ratings ...they've been very accurate just beaten by outsiders or pure bad luck ....2 or 3 were pipped on line ....

Edited by richard-westwood

21 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

And to finish off .....2nd ......unbelievable 

......I think 6 of last 8 races finished 2nd .....so much bad luck ?

+421.00 .....awful couple days ....could have been so much diff 

Cant complain about ratings ...they've been very accurate just beaten by outsiders or pure bad luck ....2 or 3 were pipped on line ....

need to do 2nd only market this rate!

Keep the faith guys. The ratings really aren't far off as the selections have gone really close. Slightly different luck and the results could have been totally different.

If its any consolation I haven't managed a winner today just a multitude of 2nd and 3rds with only some ew - lots of yours plus maydanny, agincourt, sebastapol all win only but 2nd.

Think its just been one of those days ...

On 5/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, richard-westwood said:

1000 guineas re rated 

Alcohol free  9.9 

Mother earth 9.2 

Sacred    8.7 

Saffron beach  8.1 

Alcohol free I've already backed so I'll add 10pt win mother earth 8/1 

Mother earth wins 10/1 !!....that better 

Back up to +511.00

Edited by richard-westwood

My first attempt at posting a rating - maybe one to watch rather than stake (please see my recent naps table form for examples of quality!)

1556 Kempton class 4 hcap hurdle

8.3 Wicked Willy

6.7 Miss Farage 6.7 (next best)

I had Wicked Willy at about 7/1 which is what it opened up at ... drifted all morning now 16/1 @ bet365 and a few are going 4 places on this race as well ...

I'll keep an eye on the market but I will be having a small stakes ew play when i think its drifted to its max

@MCLARKE its an excellent point you raise.

Its drifting out on the exchange as well. And bet365 are now 18/1.

If it was a short priced fancy or if the market changes were down to a steamer I'd be more worried. Obviously the drift isn't a sign of market confidence but I'll still have a pop for 2 main reasons

1 my value angle means i could be getting 18/1 plus on a horse i thought would be 7/1. That i find hard to resist. Couple in extra places for the each way and I think you then have an angle you can benefit from over the long term

2 I'm not sure if its the tale wagging the dog but the prices offered by bookies invariably seem to reflect the exchange - the bookies will catch up a couple of minutes after a shortening on the exchange. They are slower to follow drifters. But at this time the amount on the exchange (7k total market)  is a tiny fraction of what it will end up at. For me, this isnt necessarily a great indicator of likely SP.

I'll probably play closer to the off but a further drift nearer post time I would definitely interpret as a negative

3 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

When a horse drifts is this a warning sign?

I haven't done a lot of analysis but on a system I use for short priced favourites those horses that drifted showed a loss at SP, those that shortened showed a profit.

If they are backed, and then drift later seems ok. Just drifting is a big negative for me judged on results (always exceptions of course).

Wicked Willy continued to drift. In the end I had a small ew with sky bet at SP as they don't do BOG with extra places. 

It stayed in touch during the whole race without ever looking like a potential winner. But it did grab the 4th place.

The winner was the favourite and only horse in the race to be backed to any major extent.

1pt each way = total stake 2pt

Return 4.6pt

Profit 2.6pt

Can I claim that as a success? Not sure but at least its not a loss.

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

Was going to avoid irish but rated a few races and this one sticks out 

525 curr 

Trueba  8.9 10.5 

Inventor  8.4  10.5 

War hero  7.9  26.0

Zen silence  7.5  

Big prices on top 2 so I'll just play 

2x 10pt wins 

I should have just stayed away...none of the top 4 finished anywhere ...that's irish racing in a nutshell ....leave it alone richee 

2 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

830 wolv

Unapologetic   9.2 12.0

Some nightmare  8.2  5.0

Flight command   7.9. 13.5 

Van dijk    7.7 7.4 

Top rated looks good value.....so I'll.play on top 2 ..10pt wins 

Currently +491.00

i need one of ur bottom two if my next comes in for thousands im afraid lol

19 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

445 chest

Black friday 9.8 13.5 

Lincoln park   8.5  8.2 

Silver samurai  8.2 

Draw is against top 2 here but 7f is a fair distance to get into a good position so I'll play thexratings and hope for a bit of luck 

2x 10pt win 

3rd at 28/1!!!...gutted .....what makes it worse the other 3races I rejected all won too ....doomed 

+451.00

37 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

3rd at 28/1!!!...gutted .....what makes it worse the other 3races I rejected all won too ....doomed 

+451.00

Don't be down on yourself mate. You smashed it early doors so naturally you were going to hit a rough patch. Trust your system and the winners will start flying in again. Have you done any for tomorrow?

Yes, it happens all the time.

In the £20 daily challenge I lost £300 in the first month, made £600 in the next year, lost £800 in the next 4 months and have then made £500 since then.

Overall I make a loss in 1 month out of 3.

I suppose you need a mentality where you don't get too disillusioned when you have a losing run and don't get too confident when you have a winning run. It's taken me many years to develop such a mentality.

You have to think for the long term, although as John Maynard Keynes said, "in the long run we are all dead !"

Chester is one of those tracks I have always struggled at for winners ... 

Ratings plus bonuses  .5 for previous course wins and .5 for low draw (1 to 5). I get the same top 2, over a point clear with and without the bonuses

Makanah 8.8 = 11/2 my book

Jabbarockie 7.9 = 6/1 my book

Like that both travelled strongly in last races as its difficult to come from the back at Chester.

1pt win each (obv not as rich as @richard-westwood!)

With my standard hit and hope I'd probably be on Copper Night due to draw, course form and handicap mark.