** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pricing your own race

2 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Blue De Vega would have had a significant deduction for age as he’s 8 and that’s old for flat horses. Came from the dark is probably at its peak as a five year old and was strong in the betting. I felt comfortable with Tis Marvellous’s rating although 7, so would have had a deduction but would have still have been top rated no doubt . Came from the dark would have been second rated if I’d used the age ratings . Keep learning and tweaking and hopefully get a good run out of it. Not bad so far. 

i meant allweather and flats btw lol

1 minute ago, richard-westwood said:

It's a hard one ....a horse is considered to have stopped growing at 5/6 ....but I've known plenty of horses who can fully compete age 7 ....I think 8 is a definate negative ....not so sure about 7 .....I'd say 7 is like a,10yo over jumps ...and 8 like 11 etc 

Totally with you on this . 10 year old jump horses still have it in them to win top top races . 7 year old flat horses, although won’t improve any, might still remain competitive. Well some will anyway. I think the way round it is to look at their form. If a 7 year old won two starts back in same class and their mark isn’t too harsh, then you could have them down as still having the ability to be competitive. Ones judgement is needed for individual horses .

50 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Yes I gathered. So you reckon I deduct 10% off their rating if they are above a certain age 

yes looking at historic stats at betfair prices ...  or ditch altogether since they arent profitable longterm. peoples attitudes may change of course if the general public becomes sharper and they may become more level - who knows.

Edited by Wildgarden

1210 thirsk  

Highjacked 8.0 8/1 3/1 no value 

Billy wedge  7.3 9/1 6/1 no value 

Confrontational  7.0 9/1 10/1 value bet 

Highland acclaim  6.7 

Tricky little race ....I can narrow to these 4 but then its anyones....I think I'll go for jockeys...highjacked has Danny tudhope on ...always a strong one .....and I'll take a chance on confrontational with Rossa ryan who seems to be riding well currently and bet365 are offering a generous 10/1 !! ..pp 11/2 

Highjacked  10pt win 3/1 

Confrontational 5pt ew 10/1 bet365 

415 curr

Raise you  9.0 

Fil the power  8.4 

Dance jupiter  8.0 

Hayyel   7.5 

O brien runs 4 with raise you a lesser fancy but if he translate soft ground form to good then could run well ...top 2 ew for me 

Raise you 5pt ew 8/1 5 places 

Fil the power 5pt ew 9/1 5 places 

Edited by richard-westwood

Scottish national 

Mighty Thunder 7.5, 11/1(15/1) no won value 

Coup De Pinceau 6.8, 22/1(17/1) value 

Vintage Clouds 6.65, 10/1(17/1) no value 

Soldier Of Love 6.6, 8/1(18/1) no value 

Big River 6.45, 16/1(18/1) no value 

Top rated looks the bet as I think he stays all day . 

5 points ew Mighty Thunder 11/1

Edited by Villa Chris

Scottish national 

Aye right  9.7 

Sam's adventure  9.0

Dingo dollar   8.6 

Mighty thunder  8.5 

Cool mix    8.2 

Chef Doevre  8.1

I dont like Sam's adventure (breeding) ....mighty thunder (  price lto)..or cool mix (days ).......that leaves 

Aye right  9.7 11/2 

Dingo dollar 8.6 10/1 

Chef Doevre  8.1 40/1 

Aye right looks,a strong bet for this ....chef doevre is vastly overpriced at 40/1 !!...

I'll try 10pt wins aye and dingo ...5pt ew chef 40/1 6 places 

Yeah I know what you mean they have a high weight .....I like your mighty thunder but trends say dont back any horse that was higher than 16/1 lto ....I dont know why that works must be a class thing ...but it has in the past time and time again ...so I scrubbed it .....I'm hoping the low weighted 40/1 is gonna win personally  ?

7 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

1210 thirsk  

Highland acclaim  6.7 

Tricky little race ....I can narrow to these 4 but then its anyones....I think I'll go for jockeys...highjacked has Danny tudhope on ...always a strong one .....and I'll take a chance on confrontational with Rossa ryan who seems to be riding well currently and bet365 are offering a generous 10/1 !! ..pp 11/2 

Highjacked  10pt win 3/1 

also have highjacked but may add carlovian if it has support!

Screenshot_20210417-010250.png

have more winners on racing chat if u look

Edited by Wildgarden

4 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

also have highjacked but may add carlovian if it has support!

Screenshot_20210417-010250.png

have more winners on racing chat if u look

It's a hard day tbh ....ive rated about 5 races but a lot of them are really close ...like the top 5 or 6 all bunched together ...the 2 races I posted are probably the best of the bunch and they are still difficult ....good luck to anyone playing today ?

8 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Yeah I know what you mean they have a high weight .....I like your mighty thunder but trends say dont back any horse that was higher than 16/1 lto ....I dont know why that works must be a class thing ...but it has in the past time and time again ...so I scrubbed it .....I'm hoping the low weighted 40/1 is gonna win personally  ?

Mighty Thunder ran a blinder lto . He just got beat by the very short priced JP horse who looks a good un. 5Ib rise to contend with, but we’ll see. 

Edited by Villa Chris

Just a quick one. You know when we do our own odds and we have top rated 11/1 but bookies have them 7/2. Is that the bookies being tight or is it our odds out by a few points ? If we are out by a few points is there any way we can get the odds down to be more realistic. Ok it’s killing the value factor a bit , but if our odds are out then surely it’s better to get them more accurate . Use points for horses strong in the betting is maybe one solution . 

2 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Just a quick one. You know when we do our own odds and we have top rated 11/1 but bookies have them 7/2. Is that the bookies being tight or is it our odds out by a few points ? If we are out by a few points is there any way we can get the odds down to be more realistic. Ok it’s killing the value factor a bit , but if our odds are out then surely it’s better to get them more accurate . Use points for horses strong in the betting is maybe one solution

I suspect it's because there are factors causing the lower odds that are not in your calculations. There are thousands of variables that impact a horse result and we can only account for a few of them. I will have another bash at this during the flat season but I couldn't make it work for the jumps or AW.

10 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

Attempting 1140 thirsk shortlisted to below, seems close to odds. bedford flyer has poorer draw and rohaan didnt frank it either and draw 11 has never won a race from 99 at lower prices (rebel) so going with the fav  cottam lane 4.4 betfair exchange and shalaa asker 16.5 betfair exchange

Screenshot_20210417-003036.thumb.png.9283191ec0ca3654171cc5dae4f48466.png

2nd and 3rd rated 2nd and 3rd ;-s

13 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

I suspect it's because there are factors causing the lower odds that are not in your calculations. There are thousands of variables that impact a horse result and we can only account for a few of them. I will have another bash at this during the flat season but I couldn't make it work for the jumps or AW.

I might try and add one or two things and see how it works. Don’t want to interfere with it too much though. 

13 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

RP have napped your 40/1 shot 

18 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

1210 thirsk  

Highland acclaim  6.7 

Highjacked  10pt win 3/1 

Forgot all about this race ...1st and 2nd .....collect off both