Announcements
** December Poker League Result : 1st muttley, 2nd LIKE2FISH, 3rd kevsul **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st Like A Roughie, 2nd Paperclip, 3rd Kingdom for, 4th Alastair, 5th Gray306 **
** December Naps Competition Result: 1st BARNSLEYCHOP, 2nd SADDLESORE, 3rd ZIDANE123, 4th ADAMROSS. KO Cup Winner BBBC, Most Winners: JCW **

FA Cup Predictions > Jan 8th - 11th

Bournemouth vs Oldham

The FA Cup gives us a wealth of 3pm GMT kick-offs on Saturday afternoon and one of those I'm previewing is between Championship promotion contenders Bournemouth and League 2 mid-table side Oldham at the Vitality Stadium. Both of these sides have been in decent form recently in the league so it should be a fascinating clash of cup action when they meet here. The game was initially scheduled for Boundary Park but has been switched due to a frozen pitch.

Bournemouth are currently in 3rd place in the Championship and just 2 points behind 2nd placed Swansea. The Cherries have lost just 1 of their last 7 league games and will be pleased to be amongst the front runners at the turn of the year. Jason Tindall has done a superb job of helping transition the team after the departure of Eddie Howe. The historical omens are positive for Bournemouth too. The club have progressed from all of their last three FA Cup ties with teams positioned down in League 2. It was back in 2011/12 when they last failed to achieve that against Gillingham.

Oldham didn't have a very good start to their league campaign at all. Harry Kewell's reign began with no win in their first 5 league games. The Latics have managed to pick up a bit of form recently with 5 wins from their last 9 league matches to move up to 14th in the table. However, it has now been just 1 win from their last 4 league encounters as their form has tailed off slightly. The team has already progressed in two away ties in this competition with a 3-2 victory away to Hampton & Richmond Borough in the 1st Round and a 2-1 win over Bradford in the 2nd Round.

The last time these two clubs met in the FA Cup was way back in 1954 when their 2nd Round clash ended in a 1-0 win for Bournemouth. It's easy to see why the bookies heavily favour Bournemouth for this one with the club having managed to keep the crux of their Premier League side. Oldham were rock bottom of the fourth tier just a few months ago and even though they've improved their form they have hit a rocky patch again. I think if this was at Boundary Park I'd have given the Latics more hope but Bournemouth should see them off comfortably.

Bournemouth -1 @ 2.00 with Betfair

Bournemouth HT/FT @ 2.10 with Novibet

2 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Bournemouth vs Oldham

The FA Cup gives us a wealth of 3pm GMT kick-offs on Saturday afternoon and one of those I'm previewing is between Championship promotion contenders Bournemouth and League 2 mid-table side Oldham at the Vitality Stadium. Both of these sides have been in decent form recently in the league so it should be a fascinating clash of cup action when they meet here. The game was initially scheduled for Boundary Park but has been switched due to a frozen pitch.

Bournemouth are currently in 3rd place in the Championship and just 2 points behind 2nd placed Swansea. The Cherries have lost just 1 of their last 7 league games and will be pleased to be amongst the front runners at the turn of the year. Jason Tindall has done a superb job of helping transition the team after the departure of Eddie Howe. The historical omens are positive for Bournemouth too. The club have progressed from all of their last three FA Cup ties with teams positioned down in League 2. It was back in 2011/12 when they last failed to achieve that against Gillingham.

Oldham didn't have a very good start to their league campaign at all. Harry Kewell's reign began with no win in their first 5 league games. The Latics have managed to pick up a bit of form recently with 5 wins from their last 9 league matches to move up to 14th in the table. However, it has now been just 1 win from their last 4 league encounters as their form has tailed off slightly. The team has already progressed in two away ties in this competition with a 3-2 victory away to Hampton & Richmond Borough in the 1st Round and a 2-1 win over Bradford in the 2nd Round.

The last time these two clubs met in the FA Cup was way back in 1954 when their 2nd Round clash ended in a 1-0 win for Bournemouth. It's easy to see why the bookies heavily favour Bournemouth for this one with the club having managed to keep the crux of their Premier League side. Oldham were rock bottom of the fourth tier just a few months ago and even though they've improved their form they have hit a rocky patch again. I think if this was at Boundary Park I'd have given the Latics more hope but Bournemouth should see them off comfortably.

Bournemouth -1 @ 2.00 with Betfair

Bournemouth HT/FT @ 2.10 with Novibet

ah sorry my mistake stadium switched

What a circus football today

Edited by Seguros

Arsenal vs Newcastle

The FA Cup gives us an all-Premier League fixture at 5:30pm on Saturday evening when Arsenal play Newcastle at the Emirates Stadium. You could argue that neither of these two teams are particularly enjoying their league campaigns so far so a win here would be the perfect tonic for the dour nature of the league campaigns. Who can come out on top though?

Arsenal have had a season to forget under Mikel Arteta so far. A managerial reign that started so positively with that FA Cup win last season and hopes of Champions League qualification this season have burned into ashes. The Gunners are down in 11th place after one of their worst starts to a league season in recent memory. However, things have started to improve recently. The team have won their last 3 league matches and the club is into the last 32 of the Europa League. History certainly backs Arsenal here with the London club progressing from the 3rd Round in all but one of their last 24 seasons. They have also won 4 of their last 5 encounters with Newcastle in this competition.

Newcastle are also struggling this season. Steve Bruce has undoubtedly silenced a lot of his critics that made their voices heard when he was first appointed but with the team down in 15th place and slowly getting sucked back into the relegation fight it's feeling like familiar territory for the Toon Army. The Magpies haven't won any of their last 5 league games and the impact of the covid-19 outbreak that the squad suffered has clearly hit the players hard. Their record in the FA Cup isn't great either having suffered elimination in 10 of their last 11 games against Premier League opposition in this competition.

This game feels like it's only going one way. Whether you believe it was through creativity or necessity due to player absentees, Arteta appears to have turned things around for Arsenal by giving younger players a go. The likes of Bukayo Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, and Ainsley Maitland-Niles have delivered performances and effort lacking from more senior players. Newcastle just look short on ideas and confidence right now. The last three Arsenal wins at home against Newcastle in the FA Cup have ended in a 3-0 score-line. I can see something similar happening here.

Arsenal -1 @ 1.85 with Novibet

Arsenal HT/FT @ 2.00 with SBK

Manchester United vs Watford

The final game in the FA Cup on Saturday comes from Old Trafford in an 8pm GMT kick-off when Premier League title challengers Manchester United host Championship play-off contenders Watford. On paper, you'd think this would be a business-like win for the home side but with a number of personnel changes will it be a game that could end in a potential giant-killing for the visitors?

Manchester United are back and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is at the wheel. Or that's all we keep hearing from the gobby United fans anyway! I was beginning to enjoy life with them not winning as much. It was a lot more quiet. Anyway, the Red Devils are on a run of 10 league games without defeat. The 2-0 loss to Manchester City in the EFL Cup Semi-Finals in midweek was a disappointment but I'm not overly sure they'll let that affect their confidence too much. Solskjaer has admitted that a few fringe players will get some game time with a number of first team regulars carrying knocks that need resting. The FA Cup is always a competition that the club have taken seriously... except in that infamous 1999/2000 season when they withdrew due to their participation in the FIFA Club World Championship in South America. They have progressed in 33 of their last 35 FA Cup 3rd Round ties.

Watford had big hopes coming into this season. The club managed to maintain the crux of their Premier League squad but the appointment of head coach Vladimir Ivic just didn't work out. Xisco is the new man in the hot seat at Vicarage Road. An impressive 1-0 win over Norwich was followed up by a gut-wrenching 2-1 loss away to Swansea in his first two very tricky opening games in charge. The departures of midfielder Etienne Capoue and defender Daryl Janmaat at the end of last year has shown he's having to deal with the process of moving on some of the big name players. Will Ismaila Sarr be next? The Hornets are in 6th place in the league and under Xisco they might feel they can catch a weakened United on the hop.

OK, so this really should be a solid win for Manchester United but Watford now have that unpredictability factor due to the arrival of Xisco. The 40-year old Spaniard shouldn't be confused with the former Newcastle flop! There's no doubt that Watford still possess a largely top flight squad but they've not quite fulfilled their potential this season. Even if they do then they still won't quite match up to the players that United can rotate in. Former Watford man Odion Ighalo could be in line to start and you'd have to back him to score against his former club to kill their dreams of an upset.

Manchester United HT/FT @ 1.91 with SBK

Anytime Scorer: Odion Ighalo @ 2.50 with BetVictor

Marine vs Tottenham

The stand out match in the FA Cup 3rd Round this weekend has to be the clash between Northern Premier League Division One North West side Marine and Premier League title contenders Tottenham at Rossett Park in a 5pm GMT kick-off on Sunday afternoon. It's going to be interesting to hear what you all think about this one because on paper this really should be a cruise for the away side.

Marine are the lowest ranked side left in the FA Cup this season playing their football in the 8th tier of the English pyramid system. Manager Neil Young (I'll spare you the music puns!) has stated that he's required the help of Liverpool to scout Tottenham due to the lack of resources and software available to the non-league club. The team haven't played a competitive game since Boxing Day but they come into this game off the back of two wins in a row. They have also won 7 of their last 8 home competitive games so they're a team that has gotten that winning habit on home turf. It's the first time the club will have played a top flight side. It is also just the second time they've reached this stage of the competition having previously qualified for it in the 1992/93 season before going out to Crewe.

Tottenham are 4th in the Premier League but have endured a tricky spell of form in the league. Jose Mourinho appears to have steadied the ship after a 1-1 draw away to Wolves and a 3-0 victory at home to Leeds. The Portuguese manager has said he intends to respect the competition and field a strong side against Marine. This will be the first time Spurs have faced non-league opposition in the FA Cup since they played Altrincham in the 3rd Round back in the 1994/95 season. The club has a decent record at this stage of the cup in recent years having progressed from 13 of their last 14 FA Cup 3rd Round ties.

If this game had been in front of a hostile home crowd then I might suggest it would be a fascinating tie. Unfortunately, the absence of supporters means that we're less likely to see giant-killings in games like this. Even if the crowd had been present it probably would've ended in a one-sided affair anyway. I can see Tottenham scoring early and keeping it respectable. I think they'll win by a 3-0 or 4-0 score-line at the most hopefully. I'd be amazed if Marine scored. Gareth Bale has requested to play to improve his match fitness so I could see him scoring. Not sure we'll see much value flying around today. @Darran, do you think there are any bets worth following here?

Marine +5 @ 1.69 with Novibet

Anytime Scorer: Gareth Bale @ 1.60 with SBK

Spurs are probably the best value 1/50 shot you will see. I think it’s hard to have a bet on the game as hard to know what side Spurs will put out and how seriously they will take it. The gulf in class is huge especially as they are playing a team who has barely played since the start of November and who have found it hard to train. Marine do have a good side for their level but if they keep it down to 5 and under they will have done amazingly 

Newport County vs Brighton

The last game of the day in the FA Cup 3rd Round is between League Two promotion hopefuls Newport County and Premier League strugglers Brighton in a 7:45pm GMT start at Rodney Parade on Sunday evening. I've literally just come from Rodney Road after staying at my girlfriend's place last night and I can tell you now that the pitch isn't in the best of states with the Gwent Dragons playing the Ospreys on that very surface last night.

Newport County come into this game full of confidence. The South Wales side are flying high in 2nd place in League Two just 1 point behind league leaders Carlisle with a game in hand. The Exiles are without a win in their last 4 league matches but do have a superb record of eliminating bigger clubs from this competition. The likes of Leeds, Middlesbrough, and Leicester have all suffered a premature exit at the hands of County. Michael Flynn continues to do a sterling job as the man at the helm and he'll be able to welcome back the injured trio of Joss Labadie, Ryan Taylor, and Kyle Howkins. Unfortunately, the key duo of striker Scott Twine and centre back Brandon Cooper have returned to their parent clubs after successful loan spells. Newport have moved quick to bring in Swansea youth central midfielder Jack Evans to limit the negative impact of their departures but there's no denying they are huge losses for the club.

Brighton have just been a hard luck story so far this season. I have been among Graham Potters supporters with the way he gets his team playing but with the club down in 17th place and only 3 points outside the relegation zone with 18th positioned Fulham possessing two games in hand it's looking dire. The Seagulls are without a league win in 8 games now. It's also been rumoured that Potter is going to field a scratch side with South African striker Percy Tau being tipped for his debut almost 2 years after he joined the club.

Combine all those factors together along with the awful Newport pitch and you have to say we could have an upset on our hands. I appreciate Newport County and Cardiff are supposed to be rivals but I've always had a soft spot for County. My concern is that Newport are going through a tough spell at the moment. Twine and Cooper had become important players for the team and their departures are massive. I think Brighton could sneak through but there are enough factors against them to make backing a shock Newport win or draw worth betting on.

Newport County Double Chance @ 2.90 with BetVictor

BTTS @ 2.10 with SportNation