** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

How's Your Poker Career Going in the Age of Covid-19?

muttley

I returned from Vegas in early March 2020, after a slightly unprofitable trip. Little did I know that, and wouldn't have believed you if you had told me, I wasn't going to play another live hand in 2020!

I've never considered myself as a winning online player. All of my successes have come on the live circuit. Not that I'm some sort of soul reader at the table, more due to the fact that I get too easily distracted when I'm sat in front of my laptop, and an annoying inability to multi-table. As such, my poker career (not really a career) is very much on hold. I've stopped reading poker books, watching poker videos, analysing my poker hands, because it's just not worth putting the hours in considering how little poker I'm playing.

My highlight of the week is the Punterslounge Poker League (:drums thank you Punterslounge). although it looks like some of you have been playing more online than  me.

So how is your Poker Love in the Time of Covid-19?

My situation mirrors your own to some extent Paul. When I returned from Resorts World with the NLHE trophy in February (thinly veiled brag), I never imagined in my wildest dreams that it might be 18 months or more before I played another live hand of poker.

We returned from the Caribbean in March and I organised a 9 seater home game, but one by one they all rightly gave back word for fear of breaching Covid rules.

There's only so much reading, walking, TV, DIY, gardening, backgammon and jigsaws you can do during lockdown. Other than writing my book, online poker has merely been a way of passing the time whilst under house arrest. Even though my bankroll is +$400 since March, online poker is a pale imitation of the live game and will never replace it for me. My love for poker hasn't diminished but my overall skill level definitely feels like it's been going backwards since March. I can't wait to play live again in the hope that I can start to put that right.

Personal circumstances changed this year, redundancy in June, decided to take time to spend with lil one before she started school and cycle to get fit again and plan was to  look for a day job mid Nov when she was going to start full time. 

Used time to study more when she went school part time in Sept(school rules due to COVID so couldn't start full time).

Decided to play poker full time! Been going ok, apart from the odd rash decisions!  As long as earn enough to pay bills and eat its all good :) 

Happy New year all and hopefully meet up in 2021, wishing you all the best in everything! 

Pretty much been inactive since pre-covid, stems from personal circumstances largely but my real life frustration levels had increased to such an extent that I could no longer tolerate the tourney to tourney, day to day, month on month bad beats or be bothered putting in the hours for a less than 10% return. Both requirements for sustained play and previously enjoyed but somehow lost in recent years. 

Think the lack of choice has changed a lot recently too, used to be fun trying to satellite into the UKPT, GUKPT, GPS live or sandboxing multiple online brands tournaments. Just doesn't seem the same anymore with PokerStars+1 or 2 other major brands. And of course everyone now tries pushing the 'flip' or 'turbo' variants. I'm old school, level playing field, no rebuys, decent structure. 

I always much prefer online to live. Used to get easily bored by the (relatively) slow hand rate live and too easily distracted. Health issues made getting to venues difficult and often arrived tired out before what would inevitably be a full day of thinking lol. 

Think age is also a factor, at my peak I could easilly 12-table STT's or 15-table MTT's, which became 'fun' when down to HU on 4 or 5 STT tables at once lol. Think the most I could manage now is 5 STT, or maybe 7 or 8 tournaments. 

I do continue to be inspired by the likes of Leo and his boundless enthusiasm towards the grind though and pray that the long deserved big wins start arriving like buses for him.. and members as a whole. 

To drag my wandering brain back somewhere close to being on topic, never say never, may return at some point, especially if lockdowns continue. Would be in line with what I've always done, trying to satellite in to stuff cheaply, no longer trust myself with proper buy ins ?

10 hours ago, Bart(UK) said:

Pretty much been inactive since pre-covid, stems from personal circumstances largely but my real life frustration levels had increased to such an extent that I could no longer tolerate the tourney to tourney, day to day, month on month bad beats or be bothered putting in the hours for a less than 10% return. Both requirements for sustained play and previously enjoyed but somehow lost in recent years. 

Think the lack of choice has changed a lot recently too, used to be fun trying to satellite into the UKPT, GUKPT, GPS live or sandboxing multiple online brands tournaments. Just doesn't seem the same anymore with PokerStars+1 or 2 other major brands. And of course everyone now tries pushing the 'flip' or 'turbo' variants. I'm old school, level playing field, no rebuys, decent structure. 

I always much prefer online to live. Used to get easily bored by the (relatively) slow hand rate live and too easily distracted. Health issues made getting to venues difficult and often arrived tired out before what would inevitably be a full day of thinking lol. 

Think age is also a factor, at my peak I could easilly 12-table STT's or 15-table MTT's, which became 'fun' when down to HU on 4 or 5 STT tables at once lol. Think the most I could manage now is 5 STT, or maybe 7 or 8 tournaments. 

I do continue to be inspired by the likes of Leo and his boundless enthusiasm towards the grind though and pray that the long deserved big wins start arriving like buses for him.. and members as a whole. 

To drag my wandering brain back somewhere close to being on topic, never say never, may return at some point, especially if lockdowns continue. Would be in line with what I've always done, trying to satellite in to stuff cheaply, no longer trust myself with proper buy ins ?

That brilliant you could multi table so many tables! Max is 9 for me and I try to stick to 4 and play 6 max.

Thanks for the kind words and hoping you all the best for everything & look forward to when the next PL Poker game can happen to meet up for beers :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty fine to be honest. I found more free time to improve my skill at poker I even made some extra money to play some slots. In addition I found a website where I can play slots, poker and do bets (EDITED to remove link - ADMIN) Fortunately my results become better, I spend more time playing cash I even can afford to play cash during my worktime as my work become online :D As well with bets I have more time to watch football and other sports I do bets and I gain much more profit from it. For example yesterday I made a brilliant bet and got 900 dollars(Later I'll share a screenshot in another theme). So I can make a conclusion that Covid had a good influence at my playstyle :D 

Edited by avongirl
removed unauthorised link

On 1/29/2021 at 12:36 PM, michaelwilson said:

Pretty fine to be honest. I found more free time to improve my skill at poker I even made some extra money to play some slots. In addition I found a website where I can play slots, poker and do bets (EDITED to remove link - ADMIN) Fortunately my results become better, I spend more time playing cash I even can afford to play cash during my worktime as my work become online :D As well with bets I have more time to watch football and other sports I do bets and I gain much more profit from it. For example yesterday I made a brilliant bet and got 900 dollars(Later I'll share a screenshot in another theme). So I can make a conclusion that Covid had a good influence at my playstyle :D 

I've removed the link from your post. Please do not post links to other sites otherwise we will have to ban you.:(

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve started playing remotely. The very first thing I have done was to pick the right online platform. To the best of my knowledge, there are two major sites which are good as PokerStars and 888poker. They both have pretty good options for online games. All you need is to make sure all players have accounts and make deposits. You can pick players, set preferences and make your poker club after you invite friends to play. All those who join the club are able to see scheduled games and play in them. It`s pretty cool, to be honest, however, I miss the live poker

Edited by mayertom

• 1 month later...