** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

L1, L2, & Scottish Predictions > Dec 8th - 13th

Hull vs Shrewsbury

The League One matches offer some very interesting prices this week but I'm going to go down a safer route than usual. I'm previewing the clash between league leaders Hull and relegation-threatened Shrewsbury in a 3pm GMT kick-off on Saturday at the KCOM Stadium. These two sides have hardly experienced more different starts to their campaigns but will their league positions influence the outcome?

Hull are sitting proudly on top of the league table right now. The board's decision to keep the faith with manager Grant McCann has paid off and the worries of last season seem a distant memory. The Tigers are 5 points inside the automatic promotion places and have a game in hand on the teams chasing them in the play-off positions. It's now an unbeaten run of 5 league games that includes 4 victories for the club. The team has also scored in every single one of their 15 league games this season and have scored at least twice in 8 of those matches.

Shrewsbury can't boast about such a positive start to their season. Steve Cotterill was the controversial choice to replace the sacked Sam Ricketts and, to be fair, the former Burnley gaffer is undefeated in his first two league games in charge with two draws against Accrington Stanley and Charlton at home. The Shrews are still down in 23rd position and are only saved from bottom spot by a Wigan that have an inferior goal difference. Despite Cotterill's stubborn start to his reign, the fact remains that Salop are without a win in 10 league games. That last victory, their only victory of the season, was on 17th October in a 1-0 win away to AFC Wimbledon.

It's obvious why Hull are available at such a short price for this one. There is still that degree of unpredictability due to the new manager bounce that Shrewsbury might enjoy. I'm not a fan of Cotterill as a manager or a person. I can't see it ending very well for the Shropshire club. I'm expecting a solid home win in this one and for the wait for that elusive win to continue for the travelling team.

Hull to Win & BTTS @ 3.80 with BetVictor

Hull HT/FT @ 2.55 with BetVictor

Exeter vs Tranmere

One of the key games in League Two this weekend is the 3pm GMT kick-off on Saturday afternoon between play-off chasing rivals Exeter and Tranmere at St James Park. Both teams are undoubtedly eyeing a return to the third tier of English football and winning matches like this will go a long way to allowing these clubs to realising those dreams come the end of the season.

Exeter come into this game in 5th place and just 2 points off the automatic promotion places. Manager Matt Taylor will be keen to see his team go one better than the play-offs this season. The Grecians have been free-scoring as of late but the 5-3 loss away to Cheltenham last weekend showed that a leaky defence is costing them. That was just a second defeat in 14 league games but set alarm bells ringing. The Devon club return to their home turf and know they have won 5 of their last 6 league matches at home so will be hoping to add another victory to that record.

Tranmere will look at this game as an opportunity to make up ground on the teams currently occupying the play-off positions in the division. Manager Keith Hill has been given the job of trying to take Rovers back up after relegation from League One last season after replacing Mike Jackson last month. The club are sat in 10th place but only 1 point outside the top 7 places. A very encouraging start by Hill saw the team win 4 straight games with clean sheets but that run came to an abrupt end with the 3-1 loss at home to Walsall.

It'll be intriguing to see how Tranmere bounce back after that defeat last week. In fact, it'll be fascinating to see how both of these teams react to their losses last weekend. I feel Exeter remain firm favourites given their form at home but I am wary of the draw. The away side will provide a stern test because Hill is clearly already having an impact on their play but the loss last weekend was a concern for me. Some changes might take longer to implement for Hill so, for now, I'm backing the home team.

Exeter to Win @ 1.95 with Betfred

BTTS @ 1.73 with Betway

Blackpool vs Oxford United

Blackpool

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): -

Suspended: -

Oxford United

Doubtful: Sam Winnall (3/0 f), Marcus McGuane (9/0 m)

Out (injuries/other): Joel Cooper (4/0 m, personal reasons), Cameron Brannagan (4/0 m), Malachi Napa (0/0 m)

Suspended: -

Over/Under Goals
Blackpool
7 home games
Oxford United
8 away games
43% Over 1.5 goals 100%
29% Over 2.5 goals 38%
29% Over 3.5 goals 25%
29% Over 4.5 goals 13%
0% Over 5.5 goals 0%
57% Under 1.5 goals 0%
71% Under 2.5 goals 63%
43% Over 0.5 goals at half-time 88%
29% Over 1.5 goals at half-time 25%
14% Over 2.5 goals at half-time 0%

Bristol Rovers vs Plymouth Argyle

Bristol Rovers

Doubtful: James Daly (10/3 f), Luke McCormick (11/0 m)

Out (injuries/other): Alex Rodman (0/0 f), Tom Davies (0/0 d)

Suspended:

Plymouth Argyle

Doubtful: Lewis MacLeod (3/0 m), George Cooper (10/1 m)

Out (injuries/other): Gary Sawyer (0/0 d, captain)

Suspended: Danny Mayor (14/0 m)

Overall Stats
Bristol Rovers
7 home games
Plymouth Argyle
6 away games
0.7 Goals scored per game 1.0
2.0 Goals conceded per game 2.3
14% Clean sheets 0%
57% Team scored 50%
14% Team scored twice 17%
0% Scored in both halves 17%
57% Goal in both halves 50%

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Back to winning ways last week with Queens Park doing the business but it's a difficult week this week to find any value, I've got 1 single and an 4fold.

St Johnstone v Livingston.

I was impressed with St Johnstone a couple of weeks ago at Easter Road and they followed that up with a draw at Celtic last week. Livingstons only win recently came last week against a Dundee Utd side who had half their first team squad self isolating due to Covid, that was also a home game where they pick up most of their points on the horrible artificial surface, they don't do so well away from home usually. I think St Johnstone are the better side here and the home win looks a decent price.

St Johnstone @ 2.37 - 2pts.

There's a few sides today look like winners to me but the bookies obviously think the same and have them all short odds on, I've put them in a 4fold.

Hibs, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Stirling - 4fold @ 5.45 - 1pt.

Edited by allyhibs

I just heard from a mate of mine in Inverness that Stirling Albion are a knocking bet to beat Cowdenbeath this afternoon.

Stirling Albion are joint 3rd in L2 on 12 points from 7 games while Cowdenbeath are 3rd from the bottom on 4 points from 6 games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/cowdenbeath/table

But there's more to it than that, Cowdenbeath are without Ross their regular goalie, he will be replaced by Ross, from Ross County, that's gotta be a first, Ross from Ross stands in for Ross !!!

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/league-2/stirling-albion-v-cowdenbeath/winner?selectionName=Stirling-Albion

I'll take a bit of that 6/10 off Billy Hill's before they get to know...

Stirling Albion 1 Cowdenbeath 0

A nice win, but too close for comfort, that goalkeeper Cowdenbeath borrowed off Ross County played a blinder, facing 19 shots, 5 on target, plus 9 corners, holding Stirling Albion off until the 71st minute.

Looked like Cowdenbeath had gone looking for a point, except for the odd counter attack they'd parked the bus. In 93 minutes Cowdenbeath had just 6 shots, 2 of them on target and managed just 3 corners, not that I'm complaining ?