** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Horse Racing Chat - Wednesday 14th October

Darran

Plenty of Group race action on Wednesday at Caulfield and 2 races make betting appeal.

R2 (4am)

The Coongy Cup is the last chance for a horse to get themselves a place in the Caulfield Cup on Saturday. Al Galayel and Django Freeman are the 2 horses still entered on Saturday and I like the former. He has won 3 on the bounce now and was especially impressive when winning the JRA Cup by just over 2L at Moonee Valley last month. He beat a good field over course and distance the time before and if he carries that form on then I think he wins this again.

Al Galayel @ 8/5 with Bet365

R5 (5.45am)

Saracen Knight is an ex-Irish horse who didn't see a racecourse for 2 years when going to Australia and he ran a solid race 1st up over 1600m at Moonee Valley. He then went up to 2000m and finished his race off well to win here at the end of last month. He goes up to 2400m here and given his form in Ireland that should suit him so there is every chance there is more to come 3rd up and up in trip.

I do want Masaff onside as well. His last run in Victoria he was 2nd to Chapada at Flemington over 2500m in June which is clearly good form. After that he went back to Sydney and has run 3 times since August 22nd all over shorter trips. I think all 3 runs had credit and clearly going up to this sort of trip is going to suit and he looks over priced to me here.

Saracen Knight @ 9/5 with Bet365

Masaff @ 15/2 with William Hill

1.30 Nottingham - 2pts win Our New Buddy @ 6/1 Hills

Some nice pedigrees in here but the experience of Our New Buddy should bode well having shaped well on debut, keeping on after being outpaced and is likely to know better today. Ralph Beckett's runners often come on plenty for their first run and this one is a full sibling of a Group 2 runner up as a 2yo in Ireland so every chance there's more to come. By New Approach so soft ground shouldn't inconvenience and ought to go close.

1.40 Bath - 1pt e/w Alba Del Sole @ 33/1 Bet365

Ran flat at Wolverhampton last time but best form has come on turf, that was a better race than this and all in all I think better can be expected here. Runs this track well and arguably should have won a couple of starts back here when covering a lot of ground before running on well. Is falling the handicap, has won on good to soft previously and gets stronger handling today which I think is a big plus.

2.00 Nottingham - 1pt e/w Scots Gold @ 9/1 Bet365

Showed promise in two novices including a very hot race two starts back featuring the likes of New Mandate and although not running well at Chester when last seen, hung right off the final bend and you can't really afford for anything to go wrong at that track. Wouldn't have won but it certainly didn't help and that was a better race than this. Has been gelded since, has the visor on today, conditions are fine and with the Dascombe yard going better now than they were when this one last ran, could step up now.

3.55 Bath - 1pt e/w Single @ 12/1 Bet365

Consistent type so appeals here each-way as ought to run its race. Travelled well at Pontefract last time when just getting bogged down late on over 2m2f on bottomless ground but this should suit better and was 2nd to a progressive horse at Kempton two starts back. Ought to run well and can make the frame at a decent price.

4.30 Bath - 1pt e/w Restricted Access @ 25/1 Bet365

Goes handicapping off a fair enough mark and should improve for the extra furlong here. Shaped okay in some novices including at Goodwood last time, keeping on without threatening without being given too hard a time and the odds on winner exaggerated the losing margin. Dam stayed well so this test should suit more and could step up now.

5.20 Nottingham - 1pt win Sheepscar Lad @ 8/1 Bet365

Is falling down the handicap quite readily and has had excuses the last twice, racing alone and also over 6f on deep ground. Best form has come over a testing 5f and wasn't disgraced under those conditions a few starts back off a significantly higher mark than today. This looks an easier assignment and hopefully can bounce back.