** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

IPL - Indian Premier League 2021

Fader

A few interesting developments regarding the IPL.

Stokes is out, and this will seriously dent the RR chances of doing well. They need him like blood for the batting, but their real weakness is in bowling. No team conceded more runs in the last IPL (Round robin stage) than the Royals (2482 runs in 14 matches, for an average of 177 per match). In 15 of the 20 overs they were in the top 3 teams for runs conceded. Normally this would not be such a problem because this is a batting heavy side. But without Smith and Stokes, they are now lopsided, and will struggle.

Looking at two critical sections of the game from a bowling perspective.

Mumbai are 14% better than the Royals in the 1-6 over range in S/R conceded.

Mumbai are 22% better than the Royals in the 15-20 over range in S/R conceded.

No amount of batting can overcome this sub standard bowling, giving the Royals virtually no chance of making the playoffs.

I think the Sunrisers will do very well in this IPL, based on exceptional bowling. They are the best bowling attack in the comp, especially on slow, spinning, Indian wickets. In 10 of 20 overs they are either leaders in runs conceded or 2nd in runs conceded. But they are a little over-reliant on Warner, and Bairstow. Holder needs to step up, but in a game, if any of these three get going batting wise, they are a great "in match" bet for the win. Again, nobody will be more difficult to bat against than Rashid Kahn.

Another team that still looks unbalanced are Kolkata . They blew a big win yesterday. They have no batting power at the tail end, and have not rectified this problem for this season.

For me even at this early stage I would be betting against the Royals, Chennai Super Kings and Kolkata almost every match. Tough matches will be when these teams play each other, and I would leave those. I just don't like CSK. Not much changed for them from last season, and Dhoni and du Plessis are a year older. 

OUTRIGHT WINNER

Mumbai Indians +275
Delhi Capitals +500
Royal Challengers Bangalore +550
Sunrisers Hyderabad +650
Chennai Super Kings +700
Kolkata Knight Riders +750
Punjab Kings +1000

so RCB are at 5.5, while RR are nowhere. 

TODAYS match is the Royal Challengers versus Sunrisers. For me the RCB are a better balanced team. Almost matching SRH in bowling, but definitely superior in batting. They just need to play smart against Rashid Khan, and not lose (KEY wickets) to him.  They do that I think they win today. 

Edited by neilovan

12 minutes ago, neilovan said:

I think they will be an excellent team to oppose when playing against MI, RCB, SHR, DC. 

One thing that annoyed me in the match was Morgan going for a big 6 when they were fully in control. It just wasn't necessary and it started the capitulation.

24 minutes ago, Fader said:

One thing that annoyed me in the match was Morgan going for a big 6 when they were fully in control. It just wasn't necessary and it started the capitulation.

He plays like he is playing for England, but it doesn't work here as the squad is not so good.

I'm going to stick with my pre-tournament pick and pick RCB to win again, today. They look like they have Padikkal back and with ABDV, Kohli and Maxwell also in that line-up, I just feel like they have a potent batting line-up with a solid bowling mix. I think Hyderabad may have to look to Bairstow once more for the majority of their runs.

5pts RCB to beat Hyderabad 4/5 bet365
1pt Bairstow top Hyderabad batsman 4/1 paddypower
1pt ABDV - Man Of The Match 8/1 paddypower

Nice and simple for today. I'll be taking Delhi Capitals to beat The Royals. Delhi looked really good in their first match, with a 7 wicket win. I feel like Raja rely on Samson pretty heavily and although they have Jos Buttler, also, he is prone to go early. Where as, if Delhi lost Dhawan and Smith early, you'd feel like the likes of Pant, Shaw and Rahane would still do a job to get them over the line.

5.5pts Delhi Capitals to beat Raja Royals 8/11 betfred

IPL -8pts

1 hour ago, Fader said:

Nice and simple for today. I'll be taking Delhi Capitals to beat The Royals. Delhi looked really good in their first match, with a 7 wicket win. I feel like Raja rely on Samson pretty heavily and although they have Jos Buttler, also, he is prone to go early. Where as, if Delhi lost Dhawan and Smith early, you'd feel like the likes of Pant, Shaw and Rahane would still do a job to get them over the line.

5.5pts Delhi Capitals to beat Raja Royals 8/11 betfred

IPL -8pts

Delhi will also get both Rabada and Nortje back, so will have a rock solid bowling attack.

Bowling from primary school does the job for Raja. I have to admit, I think I'm once again done with IPL. I just don't see it as a profitable market. I feel like it's betting on heads or tails and so I'm unlikely to bet much on it much more and hope for RCB to do the business. 

11 hours ago, Fader said:

Bowling from primary school does the job for Raja. I have to admit, I think I'm once again done with IPL. I just don't see it as a profitable market. I feel like it's betting on heads or tails and so I'm unlikely to bet much on it much more and hope for RCB to do the business. 

Stupid decision making from Delhi in not bowling Ashwin for his 4th over, when lack of pace was the way to go. Stoinis bowled 1 over for 15 and Curran's last over was a shambles. He bowled a back of the hand slow ball that bounced 2/5th's of the way down the pitch.

Just nonsense regarding dew on the ball for the last 4 overs, because they got a used dry ball 5 times (after every huge towering 6). 

Money to be made in IPL with strong patterns.

11 games played so far.

Venue Chidambaran . Team batting first has won 5/6 games played.

At venue Wankhede stadium. Team batting second has won 4 of 5 games.

Tomorrow game is at  Wankhede (CSK v RR) .

So for some reason team batting first has a big advantage. Two teams that are quite even, but I feel that Miller and Morris are finding their form and could well win another game for the Royals. Team batting first should be favorites, but need to wait for the toss. Not betting huge here.

I would be betting inplay here, hoping for the team batting first to get off to a good start, and then backing them. 6 overs should be enough for a strong indication.

Edited by neilovan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zidane123 said:

IPL is one of the biggest cricket tournament, wish we had tipster competition on it

Perhaps it's something we could bring up but there just isn't a great deal of people posting in the IPL thread. Personally, I think it's abit of a lottery,  betting on.

How would we do a tipster competition, Zidane? give me an example in an IPL form.

14 hours ago, Fader said:

Perhaps it's something we could bring up but there just isn't a great deal of people posting in the IPL thread. Personally, I think it's abit of a lottery,  betting on.

How would we do a tipster competition, Zidane? give me an example in an IPL form.

It needs thinking, but if I say roughly, the predictions should be of Top Batsman, Top Bowler, Man of the Match, Total Runs in the match, Total Boundries, etc

On 4/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, neilovan said:

Stupid decision making from Delhi in not bowling Ashwin for his 4th over, when lack of pace was the way to go. Stoinis bowled 1 over for 15 and Curran's last over was a shambles. He bowled a back of the hand slow ball that bounced 2/5th's of the way down the pitch.

Just nonsense regarding dew on the ball for the last 4 overs, because they got a used dry ball 5 times (after every huge towering 6). 

Toss has been a key factor this season

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/1/2021 at 6:54 AM, Fader said:

the issue with betting on IPL is the odds are so close for both the teams to wins. It is just a coin toss. I suggest trading over/under just like NBA totals.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:01 PM, bet4fun said:

the issue with betting on IPL is the odds are so close for both the teams to wins. It is just a coin toss. I suggest trading over/under just like NBA totals.

Yeah, agree on the match betting. Means you end up having to go for bigger odds selections, which in the long-run probably doesn't make money. 

• 4 weeks later...

We're at the Play-Off stage now then and the first qualifier will be Delhi Capitals taking on Chennai Super Kings. Winner of this match makes the final, which will be played on Friday. I really like the Delhi Capitals and I think that defeat to my pre-tournament pick RCB may have helped them re-focus. The bookies can't split them but I think over the course of the season Delhi have been the best team and I expect that to shine through here.

5.5pts Delhi Capitals to beat CSK 10/11 bet365 

Well somebody decided it was a good idea to give Curran the final over :D

CSK make the final and Delhi will play the winner of today's elimination match. Today RCB take on Kolkata Knight Riders and I'm going to stick with my pre tournament pick, RCB. Maxwell has been inspired in this event and despite Kohli not really living up to expectation recently, I would like to think that with so many good options, somebody will shine today.

5pts RCB to beat Kolkata KR 4/5 bet365
1pt Maxwell Man Of The Match 8/1 paddypower