** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League Ante Post 2020/21

Timo werner scored 28 goals last year in the bundesliga and looks likely to be chelsea's main striker. Chelsea also appear to be recruiting well with ziyech coming in and havertz rumoured.

William hill's 14/1 looks a little too high to me so i'll have some of that (top premier league goalscorer market)

Edited by waynecoyne

skybet have a market called relegation treble which i will have a dart at:

aston villa/ west brom/ fulham look the most obvious candidates to me at 20/1

villa only just stayed up last year and i can't see dean smith reverting to a different way of playing plus their recruitment was shocking

fulham were so bad 2 years ago and the manager is inexperienced

west brom just don't look that good a team to me

other candidates like palace, brighton, sheff utd, burnley, newcastle should have enough

though if sean dyche left burnley they would struggle i think

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to Premier League Ante Post 2020/21

Yeah, I always like a dabble at the relegation treble. Bournemouth getting relegated put a spanner in a few people's trebles I think. Aston Villa staying up too! This season, I think you make very good points. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see West Brom and Aston Villa occupy two of those spots. The third is open with Fulham probably being the favourites.

I agree that a few teams are on thin ice. Burnley are fine with Sean Dyche at the helm, agreed. If he left they'd be screwed but I did think that about Bournemouth last season. Sheffield United have a decent enough manager to keep them up but they won't be top half. I think Brighton could continue to progress under Graeme Potter which the right additions. Newcastle will be an interesting one. I still don't rate Steve Bruce as a manager but he seems to be doing enough. Will it continue?

The two I'm really keen to keep an eye on are Crystal Palace and West Ham. I think if they're not careful they'll both be dragged into it.

@waynecoyne you had a gander at the spreads yet mate?

Last season I sold penalties awarded at 132 and it made up at 92. This season the sell price is 105.5 which could still be a value sell (11 season average running at 94 and ranging from 80 to 106). On the one hand, sell price feels like worst case scenario, on the other I'm struggling to sell at a price so much lower than last season!

Found one bet myself so far: Havertz to score 10+ league goals for Chelsea at 6/5 with Hills.

SX have him in for 9.25 - 10.25 goals which suggests pretty much an even money shot, elsewhere you can get 11/8 for him to score 10 or less goals so one of the fixed odds prices is definitely value! With 12 and 17 in his last 2 Bundesliga seasons I'll take a chance that he's value to hit double figures at odds against.

An early selection for me:

w/o Manchester City & Liverpool: Tottenham Hotspur @ 12.00 Skybet

To clarify; this is the premier league winner without Man City & Liverpool market. I simply do not understand why there is such a big price discrepancy between Chelsea & Man Utd at 2.75 on the one hand and Tottenham at 12.00 on the other?!?!

Chelsea in my view are favourites to finish 3rd (or perhaps higher) with their embarrassment of riches playing squad and probably the best young manager in Frank Lampard. However, it remains to be seen that the young squad will gel quickly and it's hard to expect consistency when you have a team full of young players.

Fernandes was such a key signing for Utd last year but I still feel some of their other talented players are mentally weak. Whether or not Solksjaer can mould his talent pool into a confident and consistent team of winners remains to be seen.

Arteta is another talented young manager at Arsenal and he did a fantastic job to land them the FA Cup last season. For me their defence is still questionable, I know they have signed the two lads from Ligue 1 but they will take time to bed in. I also think the team is heavily reliant on Aubameyang and without him I can't really consider the Gunners to be on the same level as the other teams mentioned. I think their price of 11.00 in this market is a fair reflection of where they're currently at.

Which brings me to Tottenham. It's true that Chelsea & Utd finished 7pts above Tottenham last season, but heading into 2020/2021 Mourinho will have a full pre-season with his team and has already begun to bring in additions which will add some much needed steel and leadership to his Tottenham side. I still rate Mourinho as a manager, he's better than Solksjaer at any rate and I don't really see Man Utd's squad being any better than Tottenham's overall (although Utd's superior purchasing power is still a concern). In my view Tottenham at 12.00 for this market is pretty ridiculous and can't really be ignored as a value bet. It's very hard to predict who will win EPL excluding City & Liverpool but the price between Tottenham and Chelsea / Utd should be much closer.

16 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

w/o Manchester City & Liverpool: Tottenham Hotspur @ 12.00 Skybet

I can certainly see the logic of going with the price play on this one, and agree the odds do seem skewed to make this a good pick.  That said, I find it hard to see spurs finishing as high as third, as certainly Chelsea look good candidates to push on, and I hate to say it but Arsenal are also looking stronger than they have for some time.  There is still no backup striker for Kane, so he will have to stay fit all season, and the defence will have to be a lot better than last year if spurs are going to manage a top 3 finish.    

I think we'll see a tighter battle at the top this season as I expect both Liverpool and Man City to regress a little in terms of the number of points they get.  In fact, i'd go as far as to say I think there is a good chance they won't finish 1 and 2, as I can see either Chelsea or Man Utd beating at least one of them over the course of the season.  Whatever happens, I just hope the top 4 or 6 clubs are much closer to each other than we've had over the last few seasons.

1 hour ago, thfc said:

I think we'll see a tighter battle at the top this season as I expect both Liverpool and Man City to regress a little in terms of the number of points they get.  In fact, i'd go as far as to say I think there is a good chance they won't finish 1 and 2, as I can see either Chelsea or Man Utd beating at least one of them over the course of the season.  Whatever happens, I just hope the top 4 or 6 clubs are much closer to each other than we've had over the last few seasons.

We should do, I keep expecting Liverpool to get gassed out because of the way they play but Klopp and his team manage to condition their players in such a way that they keep suprising us, maybe waning motivation will be the bigger factor in any potential decline there. I expect City to be strong this year but I agree with you that we should see a closer battle within the big 6.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone looked at the EPL winners market on Betfair Exchange recently???

Man Utd are 7.4 while Man City are 1.46!?!?

In my view this is a crazy price disparity, especially when you consider that De Bruyne is now out for 4-6 weeks with a hamstring injury:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/12195453/kevin-de-bruyne-man-city-midfielder-out-for-four-to-six-weeks-with-hamstring-injury

On 8/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, waynecoyne said:

skybet have a market called relegation treble which i will have a dart at:

aston villa/ west brom/ fulham look the most obvious candidates to me at 20/1

villa only just stayed up last year and i can't see dean smith reverting to a different way of playing plus their recruitment was shocking

fulham were so bad 2 years ago and the manager is inexperienced

west brom just don't look that good a team to me

other candidates like palace, brighton, sheff utd, burnley, newcastle should have enough

though if sean dyche left burnley they would struggle i think

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by neilovan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some interesting views to look back on in here after the final day of the Premier League season. I'm pleased to have got most of my predictions correct. West Ham stunned me and so did Aston Villa. I was adamant they'd struggle. How did the season stand up to your pre-season expectations?