** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Horse Racing Chat - Sunday 23rd August

Wasn't great on the flat this morning with my first blank day since I started doing these previews. Obviously we got some voided money back. On we move to the final jumps action of the season in Australia and it really is a cracking card at Ballarat. Hopefully we can make some money from it.

Race 1 (4am)
Small field to start, but a cracking race with 4 good horses taking each other on. Eckhart and Wolfe Tone were both really impressive when breaking their maiden tags at the first time of asking at Pakenham last month. Wolfe Tone went and followed that up with a win in a BM120 at Sandown 3 weeks ago. I thought he was really impressive that day as well as the front 2 pulled well clear of the rest. The issue I have with both of them though is if they really want 4000m in a Heavy 10 which is likely to ride even testing than that. It's enough for me to not go with either of them as much as either could easily be good enough to win. I have been a big fan of Flying Agent and although I did vow to myself I wouldn't back a Horner ridden horse again I am going to back him here. He was set way too much to do last time at Sandown over fences, but it does look like 4000m will be ideal for him given his running style. We also know that he can handle a Heavy 10 track having run really well both here and Warrnambool over fences on that surface and those two tracks do seem to get really testing compared to the other jumping venues like Sandown or Pakenham. I also like San Remo and he is over the odds for sure. Now I did say the same thing last time and he ran a stinker in the Wolfe Tone race last time, but he clearly wasn't at his best as he didn't jump well and never got involved. He's trialled well since behind Flying Agent on Tuesday and crucially for me he was only just beaten by Bee Tee Junior at Warrnambool on a Heavy 10 on his previous hurdle start. Given how well that one ran against Ablaze in the Grand National Hurdle and is his main danger in the Grand National Chase on this card that is for me the best form in the race. I am hoping back on a testing surface he can show that form again.

Flying Agent @ 2/1 with Betfair and Betfred
San Remo @ 15/2 with Betfred

Race 2 (4.40am)
The 1st maiden hurdle on the card is over 3400m and on the face of it it looks a good opportunity for Beau Balmain to get his head in front over hurdles. He was 2nd to Wolfe Tone at Pakenham on hurdles debut and then 3rd at Casterton 2 weeks ago when a mistake at the last cost him with re-opposing Little Phoenix finishing in 2nd. The concern tough has to be the really testing conditions. His 3 runs in heavy ground on the flat has seen him finish last twice and at Caulfield back in April his jockey said he didn't handle the Heavy 9. He probably wins if he does handle the track, but at the price he has to be taken on for me. Ablestock has respected connections and has been running well on the flat at a low level. Had a few quiet hurdles trials so hard to know what to expect. Little Phoenix has been solid in 5 hurdles starts and has been 2nd twice and 3rd twice, but his worst effort was on a Heavy 10 at Warrnambool where he really struggled in the ground so I can't have him here.

That leaves me with a couple worth backing outside the front 3 in the betting. Infinite Reign made a solid hurdles debut here over 3200m in a Heavy 10 when 5th behind Ventura Storm. He was then 3rd just behind the 2nd in the race Eckhart won. Since then he was 3rd at Moe on a heavy track and he looks to have a solid chance in the conditions. At a double figure price I am also taking a chance on Ross's Point. He had 2 hurdle starts in September 2018 and didn't show too much on ground that would have been too quick for him. He didn't run over hurdles again until last month when he was a really good 3rd at Warrnambool in a Heavy 10. He then pulled up at Pakenham where again his rider said he needed a wetter track. He won a hurdle trail at the end of last month in a Heavy 8 and in a race where you can pick holes in the fancied horses in the conditions I think he is well worth backing at a big price.

Infinite Reign @ 13/2 with Betfred
Ross's Point e/w @ 16/1 with Betfred

Race 3 (5.20am)
Doesn't look a strong contest and no real surprise to see Home By Midnight at odds on. He is the classiest flat horse in the race and landed the Launceston Cup back in Feburary. He was also 2nd in an Auckland Cup when trained in New Zealand on a Heavy 10 track. Had 3 trials where he wasn't asked to do a great deal, but it looks a good opportunity for him given he handles conditions. Wazuzu is also making is hurdles debut and won on a Heavy 10 at Warrnambool two starts back. It was only a BM64 so he certainly isn't up to the favourites flat class, but the fact he handles conditions is a plus. Zoffany Rocket and Peace Brother are also in single figures, but the former isn't certain to handle the ground on hurdles debut and the latter fell 2 out when getting tired at Pakenham and has never run on a heavy surface. I fancied Jeparit last week, but he was massively disappointing and has also never run on a flat track. First Crush has been given some bizarre rides by Horner, but he has shown the best hurdles form of these. On his hurdles debut he was given a very kind ride over course and distance on this ground and then has run well since despite his jockey leaving it way too late. I think Home By Midnight is the most likely winner, but will have a small bet e/w on First Crush in the hope he might finally get a good ride because he is certainly over priced at double figures.

First Crush e/w @ 12/1 with Betfred

Race 4 (6am)
It is a shame Gobstopper is a non-runner as he has had such a good season, but we still have a good race on our hands. I think the favourite is the one to beat here. I put him up last week and he was really impressive as he continued to build up to this contest which he was 2nd in last year to Ablaze. That is obviously very good form and we know that he handles course and distance on a Heavy 10 track. Instigator clearly has ability, but finds it hard to win. He ought to have beaten Sollevare in a maiden hurdle at Pakenham and then ran well to be 2nd to Wolfe Tone at Sandown. He should be fine on a heavy track, but he is more likely to finish 2nd than win. Sollevare wouldn't be out of it as on his next hurdle start he was only beaten 5L by Ablaze when 4th in the Grand National Hurdle. Saunter Boy is a classy flat horse and won on his hurdles debut at Casterton last time. He might have been slightly lucky there and his runs on a heavy track on the flat have been nothing special. Northern Voyage should be ready to peak and he's the won to beat.

Northern Voyage @ 5/4 with Betfred

Race 5 (6.45am)
Ascot Red is favourite for this contest and won it last year. He has been in really good form on the flat and we today's conditions will hold no fear for him. You would imagine the flat runs have been used to build him up for a repeat bid. He has an obvious chance, but he seems a little short in the betting for me. Solar Coaster has some good chasing form in behind good horses in hot races. The ground would be a concern for me though. Longclaw has a chance on his chasing debut with two decent hurdle runs the last twice at Warrnambool. It's a tricky little race, but I am going to take two against the field. The Dominator is likely to blast off in front and in the conditions they might find him hard to peg back. He won well using those tactics at Pakenham two starts back and then just didn't stay 4200m in the Crisp Steeplechase at Sandown. The ground isn't a concern and I like his chances here. I also thought So Belafonte was over priced here on chasing debut. On the face of it he was disappointing at Casterton last time, but his rider lost an iron and it cost him his chance. He won over hurdles here back in June and the form of that race is strong. So given we know he handles conditions and has trialled well over fences I think he should be shorter than his current price.

The Dominator @ 100/30 with Betfred
So Belafonte @ 15/2 with Betfred

Race 6 (7.25am)
The big race of the Australian jumps season is the Grand National Steeplechase over 4500m and it is around £100k to the winner. Albaze has done amazingly well since going over jumps as he is 5/5 over both hurdles and fences. He has already won the Grand Annual this season and he was really impressive in doing so. His trainer has spoken about bringing him over for the Grand National at Aintree in a couple of years time after he gets even more experience and it will be great if he does come over. Next year he might go to Japan for the Nakayama Grand Jump and he has the potential to be one of the best jumpers Australia has produced. He landed the Grand National Hurdle last time and he was really gutsy out in front beating Bee Tee Junior who re-opposes here and looks to be his main danger. Strictly speaking at the weights Bee Tee Junior should reverse form, but I think this extra distance in wetter conditions over fences will suit Ablaze more than it will Bee Tee Junior and I rate him a strong pick here.  Bee Tee Junior is actually making his debut over fences although he did win a 3 runner trial on Tuesday. Of the rest I thought Accounted Four won really well last week at Casterton. This is stronger and on much softer going, but he is clearly getting better the deeper into his prep he goes. Michelin disappointed last time and the trip is an unknown, but the ground wont be an issue and he has place claims as well. 

Ablaze @ Evs with Bet365

225 Wolverhampton - Port Noir 20/1 ew betfair

Very low grade stuff on offer today at Wolves , one that I thought was overpriced was Port Noir , she's campaigning in class 6 races where she's won 2 out of the last 5 she's ran in , has the next big thing C.Fallon aboard taking 3Lbs off , decent middling draw & has 1st time cheekpieces , fancy her making the frame at good price.

It's the first 2yo group one of the season today at Deauville (1.35 - The Prix Morny)

There's a fascinating runner from Richard Fahey's yard called Rhythm Master. He's been pitched straight in to group one company after winning a Haydock maiden at 16/1 and he's being backed this morning into 3/1 at the moment. Connections obviously have a very high opinion of him !

Otherwise a strong presence representing top UK form with the Coventry winner, the Queen Mary winner, the July Cup winner and one of Mick Channon's who's already won a group race at Deauville

The home team looks a bit lightweight in comparison 

If I had to have a bet I might go EW on Mick Channon's horse .... Cairn Gorm EW 14/1 Corals

He looks pretty tough and is unbeaten and has course form

Some chinks in the armour of the other contenders

July Cup winner Tactical - form been let down a bit
Queen Mary winner Campanelle - Wesley Ward speedster, will she be suited by 6 furlongs on 'very soft' ground (but she does have Frankie)
Coventry winner Nando Parrado - won at 150/1 at Ascot, how good can he be, surely a fluke result

Summary -  Cairn Gorm EW for me but all eyes on Rhythm Master

One Trixie today at £1 = £4 v £88.93

2.00 San Dave Dexter £2 win at 3/1
2.30 San Muraad £2 win at 11/4
2.45 San Takeitallin £1 win at 9/4

Other bets:

3.05 San Billesdon Brook £1 ew at 9/2

4.15 San Dandy's Derriere £1 ew at 9/2

1.45 Cart Glan Y Gors 50p win at 4/1
1.45 Cart Constancio 50p win at 9/2
1.45 Cart Beano 50p ew at 7/1

2.15 Cart Yccs Portocervo £1 win at 7/2
2.15 Cart Northern Beau £1 win at 9/2

2.45 Cart River Icon £1 win at 9/4

= £4 multiples

= £12 Singles

= £16 staked

=============================================================================

Another blank day on the multiples hence a £4 loss.  The balance C/Fwd is no £738.56 (£800 Bank)

Two singles winners, 2 place wins and a non runner = a return of £12.13 v a £12 outlay = £0.13p profit on the day

The balance C/Fwd is £325.95 (£400 Bank)

Some class 4 action at Southwell tomorrow but not very good quality racing so I may look at some "lay" bets

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

10 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

@Darran Sorry to trouble you Darran but I'm enjoying using the Racing and Sports website that you kindly highlighted for us all and, I'm just wondering if it famous for any of its features? There is a lot there to look at and if some of the features are very popular then it may help me/us in getting more out of it.

I have no idea to be honest. My suggestion would be to have a play around and see what suits you. There is a hell of a lot of info on there like you say, but by using it you will have a lot more info than your regular punter which is always a good start.

2 hours ago, Darran said:

I have no idea to be honest. My suggestion would be to have a play around and see what suits you. There is a hell of a lot of info on there like you say, but by using it you will have a lot more info than your regular punter which is always a good start.

Many thanks; I have already noticed that the "ratings" section is very useful.  It shows separate ratings for turf with varying degrees of types of going whilst also showing ratings for the All Weather tracks. Over here we just seem to have one rating for each horse and have to lump it.  

I don't know how Racing and Sports are funded but it is also a welcome relief not to be bombarded with bookmakers offers to suck in mug punters.