** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

US Open 2020

1 minute ago, Torque said:

Of course it was an accident, but it was born of his petulance. That was my point. It's not something that shows itself all that often because as the best player in the world he doesn't do a lot of losing does he.

Agree

The more I watch it the more it seems really strange. I don't doubt for a second it was an accident, but at the same time he's hit the ball in the general area of the line judges and pretty hard as well. Perhaps for some reason he thought there wasn't going to be anybody there - after all he turned and hit the ball rather than facing that way to begin with.

2 hours ago, Torque said:

The more I watch it the more it seems really strange. I don't doubt for a second it was an accident, but at the same time he's hit the ball in the general area of the line judges and pretty hard as well. Perhaps for some reason he thought there wasn't going to be anybody there - after all he turned and hit the ball rather than facing that way to begin with.

I think it goes with the same irresponsibility of driving 40km/hr in a residential area that stipulates 10km/hr on the excuse that you were not expecting kids to be playing on the street at the particular time. Yes, it was obviously unintentional, but It was also reckless and irresponsible for him to be insensitive to the consequences of such an action. Where else did he expect a ball that he had hit so low to land? It was the same sensitivity to the consequences that made Goran look away immediately in disgust as soon as it happened. Well, maybe it is just a further expression of the times that we are in now post covid. It will be wise now to start looking on the women's side for alternatives past Osaka and Williams!

Medvedev is the obvious pick, althought strangely i've missed all his matches so far so haven't seen how he's been playing, Zverev to me is still too inconsistant to go on and I don't trust Thiem since lockdown. I would rather look at Felix, Coric, De Minaur and as complete outsider Tiafoe. The first three can out work the big servers and young and hungry to win. Tiafoe I just think the odds are far too large considering how open this is now.

You don't even have to go to earlier matches for examples of Joker losing his temper, it happened clear as day a couple of games before the incident here.

After he lost the chance to break PCB (he had him at 0-40 and couldn't convert) to win the set, he smashed a ball into the advertising board, the ball could have ricocheted anywhere, and caused an injury.

He has plenty of previous for this and has anger supremacy issues, which happens with some elite sportspeople when they are that good.

Personally, I still like the guy and admire his achievements but you can see why a lot of people don't warm to him and he'll never reach Roger and Rafa's level of popularity, even if he surpasses their achievements on the court.

A little bit worried about pironkovas fitness here.She had that thigh wrapped pretty tight last match which could affect her serve push off a bit but having played no 3 setters will help her.All the money on cornet not sure why..either people maybe thinking about what I said above or people just looking at cornet beating keys.Which of course she didn't and a healthy keys would have beaten her.Even hurt keys had many chances there.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, matrixman said:

Guys I really like De Minaur  to win his quarter at 21.00 .Obviously not in form.Who really is here.

As far as the women Sabalenka stands out to me .Yes its feast or famine but she def has the hitting power to beat anyone.

As far as the long shots..Rybakina ,Brady,Martic and Alexandrova

And what in the blue hell is Pironkova doing here? Back from purgatory?

Hopefully Thiem and Felix play 5 set epic and felix wins so i can have a better hedge in the QF!!?

8 hours ago, Larkin22 said:

Medvedev is the obvious pick, althought strangely i've missed all his matches so far so haven't seen how he's been playing, Zverev to me is still too inconsistant to go on and I don't trust Thiem since lockdown. I would rather look at Felix, Coric, De Minaur and as complete outsider Tiafoe. The first three can out work the big servers and young and hungry to win. Tiafoe I just think the odds are far too large considering how open this is now.

I've backed Medvedev in the outright so I've been watching him, he seems to be playing very well although he hasn't faced any quality yet. Djokovic going out at this stage is obviously a huge plus, but not enough to stop me from hedging my bets. A lot will depend on how he (and others left in) react to Djokovic being out and the sudden increase in expectation. Medvedev for me has one of the stronger temperaments allied to his obvious talent, so I don't have concerns about him on that front. But these are strange times, and this is a strange slam so far, so I want to be prepared for the unexpected. I've been looking at the draw, his likely opponents and their likely path and opponents as well to work out how I can hedge for small stakes.  So I've backed Berrettini at 17/1 since I see him as the danger in Medvedev's quarter, and if he gets thru to the quarters and beats Medvedev, his price will be less than half that, maybe a third which means I can take some profit back. I've also backed PCB at 47/1 purely because I believe its much too big, and he's playing well enough to make it deeper into the tourney, and if so his price will half and again I can take some profit back. I realise that Thiem should be the biggest danger to Medvedev in the semis should they both get there, but I have strong faith he will beat Thiem on this surface, and I was always going to let the bet run at that stage (even when I expected Djokovic would be in the final) and not lay any off until the final. 

35 minutes ago, Bettingboots said:

I've backed Medvedev in the outright so I've been watching him, he seems to be playing very well although he hasn't faced any quality yet. Djokovic going out at this stage is obviously a huge plus, but not enough to stop me from hedging my bets. A lot will depend on how he (and others left in) react to Djokovic being out and the sudden increase in expectation. Medvedev for me has one of the stronger temperaments allied to his obvious talent, so I don't have concerns about him on that front. But these are strange times, and this is a strange slam so far, so I want to be prepared for the unexpected. I've been looking at the draw, his likely opponents and their likely path and opponents as well to work out how I can hedge for small stakes.  So I've backed Berrettini at 17/1 since I see him as the danger in Medvedev's quarter, and if he gets thru to the quarters and beats Medvedev, his price will be less than half that, maybe a third which means I can take some profit back. I've also backed PCB at 47/1 purely because I believe its much too big, and he's playing well enough to make it deeper into the tourney, and if so his price will half and again I can take some profit back. I realise that Thiem should be the biggest danger to Medvedev in the semis should they both get there, but I have strong faith he will beat Thiem on this surface, and I was always going to let the bet run at that stage (even when I expected Djokovic would be in the final) and not lay any off until the final. 

It's interesting @Bettingboots how people can have such different opinions of players. For me, Medvedev doesn't have one of the stronger temperaments. What I mean is, his temperament is great when things are going his way. When they're not though, or when he can't be bothered (which I've seen in more than one tournament) I'd say he has one of the worst temperaments - you can actually see it in his body language when he's not happy which is never a good thing. Possibly you're confusing a strong temperament with his metronomic style of play, which certainly suggests a consistent mindset when it's on song. The benchmark of a strong temperament is Nadal - win, lose or draw (figure of speech) he always tries as hard as he can and if you're tuning in to one of his matches after it's started you'd be hard-pressed to tell whether he's ahead or behind. Medvedev has a long way to go before I'd describe him as a player with a strong temperament. As I said though, that's my opinion and yours is different and that's the beauty of this forum - argument and counter-argument and then others can make their mind up based on the two sides. Good luck with your bets :ok

Edited by Torque

19 minutes ago, Torque said:

It's interesting @Bettingboots how people can have such different opinions of players. For me, Medvedev doesn't have one of the stronger temperaments. What I mean is, his temperament is great when things are going his way. When they're not though, or when he can't be bothered (which I've seen in more than one tournament) I'd say he has one of the worst temperaments - you can actually see it in his body language when he's not happy which is never a good thing. Possibly you're confusing a strong temperament with his metronomic style of play, which certainly suggests a consistent mindset when it's on song. The benchmark of a strong temperament is Nadal - win, lose or draw (figure of speech) he always tries as hard as he can and if you're tuning in to one of his matches after it's started you'd be hard-pressed to tell whether he's ahead or behind. Medvedev has a long way to go before I'd describe him as a player with a strong temperament. As I said though, that's my opinion and yours is different and that's the beauty of this forum - argument and counter-argument and then others can make their mind up based on the two sides. Good luck with your bets :ok

Some good insights there, Torque. I've seen the negative body language at times with Medvedev but I'm putting that down to immaturity which I hope he can grow out of. For sure he doesn't compare with Nadal, who's a mental colossus. But I've been impressed by his rapid progress and I love that he doesn't seem to fear the top 3 so I expect him to win a slam sooner rather than later.

Well if Pironkova had won that second she might have had something more  left for serena. Hopefully her style gives Serena trouble and good that Williams won't have any crowd support here.I will be taking her of course again as its just all in at this point.Hey it's 2020 right everyone? Covid, and all the other stuff and with what happen to Djokovic NOTHING would surprise me .Let it rip..

On 9/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, CzechPunter said:

Tsvetana Pironkova to beat Alize Cornet at 2.01 with Pinnacle

I'll continue with this for obvious reasons. Like @matrixman, I'd have liked the price on her to beat Keys more, but this is also good at above evens. I think that Pironkova is actually a slight favorite here, as Cornet didn't impress in any of her matches so far, perhaps apart from the Keys meeting. She can also go mad at times, while Pironkova seems to be almost zen at the moment ?.

Thanks an awful lot CzechPunter. ✌️? 

Elise Mertens to beat Sofia Kenin at 2.10 with bet365

I think Mertens should be considered the favorite on this match, not Kenin. I know Kenin has won a slam but I feel that her level of play has declined a little bit these days; her tennis is not as inspiring as it was in Melbourne. Mertens might be able to beat her quite comfortably I believe. I like her groundstrokes more, and I feel she's ready to take the initiative to surprise her opponent. 

Karolina Muchova (+4.5 games) to beat Victoria Azarenka at 1.83 with bet365

Both players have impressed me so far in this USO. I find the handicap of 4.5 games adequate on this encounter. Let's see what happens. 

1 hour ago, matrixman said:

Well if Pironkova had won that second she might have had something more  left for serena. Hopefully her style gives Serena trouble and good that Williams won't have any crowd support here.I will be taking her of course again as its just all in at this point.Hey it's 2020 right everyone? Covid, and all the other stuff and with what happen to Djokovic NOTHING would surprise me .Let it rip..

She can cause Serena problems I reckon. She's such a change from the typical WTA player right now and it's going to be a completely different challenge for Serena compared to Sakkari. Pironkova isn't about power as she doesn't have the frame, she's about finesse and variety and the squash shots she plays are almost unique - I can only really think of Hsieh as a player she could be compared to. It seems to me the reason she's done so well here after so long out is that she's so different to what WTA players are used to playing against - they just don't know what to do when she's taking the pace off their shots and mixing up her own. So many of the matches you see at the moment are hitting contests, which allow players to get into a comfortable rhythm. Pironkova has been depriving all of her opponents of that rhythm.

Don't think the odds on Carreno Busta (2.38 unibet) are appropriate. Both played pretty good so far. Shapo had stronger opponents, that's sure but Busta played great against Djokovic and was close to take first set if no...

The head-to-head is 3:1 for Pablo as well. For me it's more a 50/50 game. 

What do you guys think about this game?

Edited by vvararu