** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Monday August 17th

The race Dido ran in at Newton Abott was a frustrating one for us. First of all the main bet was disappointing, then Bubble O'Clock looked the winner before falling and then sadly losing his life finally Dido who had drifted out to 33/1 flew home to finish 2nd. Given that was his first run for nearly 14 months it was a really good effort and went someway to alleviate the slight doubt I had about his form under rules in the past. His pointing form suggested he could be well handicapped and the Newton Abbot run backed that up. If he comes on for that first run in so long he is surely going to go close here in the 5.10. Schnabel is the favourite, but he runs like he needs further not a drop in trip which he gets here. Hidden Glen and Running Wolf look bigger dangers to me, but again as you would expect for the grade it isn't an overly strong race. The one thing that would worry me is if thunderstorms hit the track as I don't think Dido wants cut in the ground, but I would be amazed if they didn't pull him out if they got a lot of run. Slightly unusually for me I am going to suggest backing him e/w as I am reasonably confident he can be in the first 3 again and at 11/2 with Bet365 or 5/1 elsewhere I want the place part onside.

Dido e/w @ 11/2 with Bet365

1.45 Catterick - 1pt e/w Twin Appeal @ 10/1 Bet365

Looks a big price for a horse who has run very well the last twice, including a narrow defeat in a higher grade last time out. Stays this trip well and handles soft ground which will help him in the closing stages and although drawn wide, doesn't have to lead so can take his time through the race. Form stands up with any of these really, not off a bad mark and looks capable of running a big race.

2.10 Uttoxeter - 0.5pts e/w Vexed @ 33/1 Bet365

Has a tough task to beat the favourite but hoping that this one can make the frame at a handy price - didn't pull up any trees on hurdling debut but was weak in the market that day and should improve for that experience. The winner is a good type and that exaggerated the losing margin of this one in midfield. Has shown plenty on the flat previously to be a decent type and stays quite well on the level so stamina isn't an issue. Would have liked to have seen more at Bangor but should come on for that in both fitness and experience and can hopefully improve to finish closer here. 

2.20 Catterick - 1pt e/w Lion Tower @ 10/1 Bet365

Mark Johnston's runner has the box seat in stall 1 here and I think can go forward with the change of headgear and race handily throughout. Has been running in better races than this but seemingly found the ground on the firm side last time out. Has form on the fibresand and soft so the return to this sort of surface will suit and has edged down the handicap a bit too. Shouldn't have to contend with the speed of some of his conquerors in recent races both at this level and on this ground so can keep rolling from a prominent position up the straight, hopefully into the first three at least.

2.50 Catterick - 2pts win Samara Bay @ 9/2 Hills

Richard Fahey's runner would be favourite for this had he not been well held at Goodwood last time but there were obvious excuses that day - up significantly in class, bumped at the start, keen and hampered mid race before fading over the 7f there. I think 6f on soft ground can suit and still looks fairly handicapped off a ready success two starts back and on novice form which reads well. Has the form in the book and can get back to winning ways this afternoon.

3.10 Uttoxeter - 2pts win Theclockisticking @ 8/1 Hills

Quite keen on the chances of this one having backed him at Market Rasen last time in a decent race under similar condition to what he faces today. Was under pressure but staying on when hampered up the straight and never really recovered before plugging on again but that also came after a lengthy absence so can be entitled to strip fitter today. Is well handicapped on lots of his old form and also gets the application of blinkers today to keep his mind on the job - lots in his favour and can go close. 

5.20 Catterick - 1pt e/w Thorntoun Care @ 10/1 Hills

There has been support for Roger Fell's runner here and I can see why - shaped as if returning to form when staying on from off the pace at Pontefract last time to be beaten less than four lengths at a tricky track to make up ground and on a surface sharp enough for him. Is down to a nice mark again now and will relish the softer conditions here - goes well for this rider which is a plus point in these races and they often go quickly in amateur jockey races which again will suit as he's likely to come from behind. Everything looks primed for a big run today.