** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing chat -sunday 9th aug

Jumps racing in Australia for the first 4 races of this month as we build up towards to the grand final of the season at Ballarat. This Sunday we go back to Casterton where hopefully I can match the 4/4 I was at the track when they last had jumps racing. 

Race 1 (3.55am)

A maiden hurdle which for a change hasn't divided. No doubt about the best flat horse in the race which is Saunter Boy and he's been well backed to land this. He's had 1 start for his current trainers since moving after his run at the Gold Coast in May and that came at Flemington when he was 4th in a good race. The winner was Exemplar and he went in again this morning at Flemington. His jumping has been OK in his trials, but the horses who have already run over hurdles don't set that tough a standard to pass and if he brings his flat form to this contest he should win this. I thought the pick of those who have run over hurdles was Beau Balmain who was 2nd to the very good Wolfe Tone at Pakenham, granted he was 12L behind him, but for a first hurdles start it was a solid one. Some of the others bring placed hurdle form to the table, but it doesn't look overly strong to me. I am going to have a small e/w bet on another hurdling newcomer Catalanic. Her recent flat form is nothing special, but I think she could improve for going over hurdles and she has looked quite good in a couple of trial wins so at double figures I will have her on side.

Saunter Boy @ 6/4 with Betfred

Catalanic e/w 11/1 with Betfred

Race 2 (4.35am)

Just the 6 runners now for the Casterton Hurdle and the ex British trained The Statesman is the current favourite. He was making his 2nd hurdle start at Sandown last week after winning a maiden hurdle at Ludlow back in 2017. He was well beaten by Wolfe Tone in 3rd, but you would imagine there would be a bit more to come and there is no Wolfe Tone here. He's a danger, but there are a couple more I like at the prices. So Belafonte has won two of his last 3 hurdles and he looks progressive over them. He won a maiden at the Bool in May and then last time had Slowpoke Rodriguez back in 3rd at Ballarat and given what he's done since that is good form. The 4th at Sandown in between was a good effort as well behind a couple of good horses. He will be bidding to make all and could easily do so. The other one I like is Jamieson. He's 2/2 over hurdles at Casterton and I thought he was running well over fences last time when falling whilst still in 2nd place. Back here he looks over priced at 15/2. Britannicus was impressive in a maiden hurdle here in June although he was last on the flat last time, but he is the other one in with a chance.

So Belafonte @ 5/2 with William Hill and Betfred

Jamieson @ 15/2 with William Hill and Betfred

Race 3 (5.15am)

The Casterton Steeplechase rounds of the jumps racing and it's well worth watching this as the fences are all bushes! I think there are 3 possible winners. The current favourite is Speedy Jax who has been 3rd the last twice including here in June. He's a solid horse and he's won a couple of races here, but I think this contest is stronger than those two and as much as he could win I do think he's a favourite worth taking on. Elvison was just behind him here in June when 4th, but I felt he did really well to finish as close as he did as he was so keen during the race. For me you can upgrade that performance and I think he can reverse form with Speedy Jax. I really fancied Mapping when he won on that Casterton card and he bolted up in a winner of 1. He then went to Pakenham and was given way too much to do when finishing 4th in a good race. Back up in trip is going to suit and for me he is the best value in the race so he is the main bet over Elvison.

Mapping @ 9/2 with everyone

Elvison @ 11/5 with Bet365

1.30 Windsor - 1pt e/w Smokey @ 12/1 Hills

This one was meant to run at Yarmouth before the races were abandoned but similar story here, makes his handicap debut going up in trip having shown promise over 5f but is bred to get further. Oisin Murphy a positive jockey booking and can expect more now this one goes handicapping. 

3.25 Salisbury - 1pt win Marie's Diamond @ 9/1 Bet365

Quite an open affair but only one of these will want to go forward and that represents a good opportunity for him to bounce out and hopefully catch them out from the front. Couldn't sustain his efforts the last twice but a repeat of his run at Sandown or Ascot earlier in the season would give him a good chance and there's not a lot to take him on in the early stages here which should make life a lot easier.

4.00 Salisbury - 1pt win Hot Summer @ 9/1 Bet365

Couldn't get involved in a decent race at Ascot last time over 1m2f but is bred more for the mile so pleasing to see him come back in trip today to conditions that saw him very consistent previously. The horses that beat him in novice races turned out to be decent so no disgrace there and got the job done a couple of starts back at a short price. Didn't just beat dross that day so not too concerned about his mark and conditions should be bob on again today so looks a big price.

On 8/8/2020 at 5:12 PM, richard-westwood said:

450 curr 

Dash dor   227 +2 

Bahlwan 225 +1 

Misterio 222 +1

Tricky race but top 2 have decent class ratings in context of this race so should run their races hopefully 

Dash dor 10 pts ew 11/1 bet365

Bahlwan 10pts ew 12/1 bet365 

Bahlwan does the business ....nice win 170 pts returned