** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Super League Predictions > Jul 11th & 12th

Panathinaikos vs AEK Athens

This weekend will see the Athenian Derby take place when local rivals Panathinaikos and AEK Athens go head-to-head in a 6pm BST kick-off this Sunday evening at the Athens Olympic Stadium. Even though the home side cannot qualify for Europe due to a UEFA punishment they still have the chance to hamper the visiting team's hopes of qualifying for next season's Champions League.

Panathinaikos are currently in 4th place in the Championship Round of the Greek Super League and even though they are unable to qualify for European competition for the next two seasons after breaching UEFA financial fair play regulations they are still having an influence on the fate of other teams. Manager Giorgos Donis has done a superb job after the team's 8th placed finish last season. However, the Greens will feel that things could have been even better having only managed 1 win in their last 7 league games. The ray of hope for their fans is the fact they are unbeaten in their last 12 home league games including keeping three clean sheets from their last three home league fixtures.

AEK Athens have only one aim this season and that is to qualify for the Champions League next season. Head coach Massimo Carrera has guided his team to 3rd in the table but they're only 3 points behind 2nd placed PAOK in the Championship Round table. Only 3 league games remain for the season so time is running out for AEK to catch their rivals. A win here would be a big message. Three league wins on the bounce have allowed AEK to keep up the pace with the top two and even though the title is now gone for another season the dream of playing in Europe's top competition is enough motivation to keep them battling.

Derby matches are always tough to call and those of you that have followed my previews for a while will know I hate backing a winner unless I have to. They are just so hard to predict as one-off matches. This match is no different. At face value, I'd have to back AEK Athens but with Panathinaikos doing so well at home it's hard to bet against them to get something from this game. However, AEK are playing so effectively and the ELO ratings back them overwhelmingly so I'm going to buck my own trend and back AEK Athens to win.

AEK Athens to Win @ 1.83 with William Hill

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.70 with Betfair