** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Sunday June 28th

Hi All.

I've been following various tipsters over the last year or so and have finally come to the conclusion that I need to do my own research. Expensive lesson but at least I'm learning! 

I've been Googling horse race speed ratings / form trackers etc and just wondered what sources other people use before wasting more cash on poor services. I've found a few different services but not sure where to start. 

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Todays handicaps -

Hamilton               2.20    Vive La Difference          5/2
Hamilton               2.20    Chinese Spirit               20/1ew
Hamilton               2.55    Retirement Beckons     12/1ew
Hamilton               3.30    Howzer Black                  3/1
Newmarket           1.35    Alfred Boucher                6/1ew
Newmarket           3.20    Lexington Dash              11/4
Windsor                1.55    Chairmanoftheboard       7/4
Windsor                1.55    Ice Age                         11/2ew
Windsor                3.35    Dance Fever                  4/1ew
Windsor                4.40    C’Est No Mour             15/2ew
Curragh                3.45    Strong Johnson              5/2
Curragh                5.15    Aared                           14/1ew
Curragh                5.15    Njord                            11/1ew
Curragh                5.45    Dalton Highway             8/1ew

19 hours ago, Trotter said:

Sunday's all aged handicap selections

Ham

2.20 My Ukelele 8/1 and Al Ozzdi 5/1
3.30 Sarvi 8/1

Wind

4.40 Buriram 11/2

Newm

5.00 Pianisimo 11/1 and Charlie D 3/1 (WON 18/5)

prices bet365 bog

One winner at the fairly rare odds of 18/5

today - stakes 6.00, return 4.60, P/L -1.40

running totals - Stakes 128.00, P/L +1.11

7 hours ago, stevelc said:

Hi All.

I've been following various tipsters over the last year or so and have finally come to the conclusion that I need to do my own research. Expensive lesson but at least I'm learning! 

I've been Googling horse race speed ratings / form trackers etc and just wondered what sources other people use before wasting more cash on poor services. I've found a few different services but not sure where to start. 

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

I reckon all the information you need is on the Racing Post site which has a complete record of every race that each horse has run in

Personally I don't spend any money on any services or tipsters or publications .... the information is there for you to read and make up your own mind

Why not give it a go! .......... you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of picking a winner yourself than backing something that a tipster or ratings service gives you. 

Pick a race with not too many runners so it won't take forever to study, preferably a handicap so the horses have run a few times and have some form in the book

Look at each horse in turn and ask yourself .......... is it suited by todays distance, the going, the course, the class of the race. Has it been thereabouts in his last couple of runs. 

Over a longer time try to get to grip with what the handicap or official ratings mean

Over a longer period try to read up on the race courses, their differences, which ones are similar to each other

Read the race previews on as many sites as you can ..... Post,. Sporting Life, At The Races etc ..... even if you don't follow their tips you can pick useful information as to the kind of things you might look for, they'll often give reasons as to why they don't fancy a horse for today's race. Eliminating horses you don't think will win is a good way to approach a race.

Put a lot of work in, read up, watch lots of racing, ......... and enjoy the sport whether you win or lose!

It's not a quick process so keep learning as you go along

Nice finish to the day for a decent days profit -

Hamilton               2.20    Vive La Difference            5/2----------lost
Hamilton               2.20    Chinese Spirit                20/1ew-------lost
Hamilton               2.55    Retirement Beckons      12/1ew-------lost
Hamilton               3.30    Howzer Black                    3/1---------lost
Newmarket           1.35    Alfred Boucher                6/1ew-------lost
Newmarket           3.20    Lexington Dash              11/4---------1st 11/4
Windsor                1.55    Chairmanoftheboard        7/4----------lost
Windsor                1.55    Ice Age                          11/2ew-------lost
Windsor                3.35    Dance Fever                   4/1ew-------lost
Windsor                4.40    C’Est No Mour              15/2ew-------lost
Curragh                3.45    Strong Johnson              5/2----------1st 5/2 fav
Curragh                5.15    Aared                            14/1ew-------lost
Curragh                5.15    Njord                            11/1ew-------1st 10/1
Curragh                5.45    Dalton Highway             8/1ew-------1st 14/1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

I reckon all the information you need is on the Racing Post site which has a complete record of every race that each horse has run in

Personally I don't spend any money on any services or tipsters or publications .... the information is there for you to read and make up your own mind

Why not give it a go! .......... you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of picking a winner yourself than backing something that a tipster or ratings service gives you. 

Pick a race with not too many runners so it won't take forever to study, preferably a handicap so the horses have run a few times and have some form in the book

Look at each horse in turn and ask yourself .......... is it suited by todays distance, the going, the course, the class of the race. Has it been thereabouts in his last couple of runs. 

Over a longer time try to get to grip with what the handicap or official ratings mean

Over a longer period try to read up on the race courses, their differences, which ones are similar to each other

Read the race previews on as many sites as you can ..... Post,. Sporting Life, At The Races etc ..... even if you don't follow their tips you can pick useful information as to the kind of things you might look for, they'll often give reasons as to why they don't fancy a horse for today's race. Eliminating horses you don't think will win is a good way to approach a race.

Put a lot of work in, read up, watch lots of racing, ......... and enjoy the sport whether you win or lose!

It's not a quick process so keep learning as you go along

Thanks Trotter. I'll have a look at Racing Post, like you say it is knowing where to start that is a bit unnerving. 

14 hours ago, stevelc said:

Thanks Trotter. I'll have a look at Racing Post, like you say it is knowing where to start that is a bit unnerving. 

Morning. I've decided to give two sources ago, Racing Post as you suggested Trotter and I found a service called Horse Race Ratings who have a free service until Sept. Hopefully I can combine the two services and come up with my picks. Will report back. Is it ok to update on here with my progress?

18 minutes ago, stevelc said:

Morning. I've decided to give two sources ago, Racing Post as you suggested Trotter and I found a service called Horse Race Ratings who have a free service until Sept. Hopefully I can combine the two services and come up with my picks. Will report back. Is it ok to update on here with my progress?

There's a new thread every day for that day's racing ....... just post your selections the day's daily thread !

and any more specific questions that you want to ask as you go along. 

Good luck !