** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

USA Racing

8 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Two more Godolphin charges are running tonight at Woodbine in the 1006 & 1039 , I would name them but can't read my own writing ?

Thanks - I forgot to check the Godolphin website today!! 

Woodbine

10.06 - Wild beauty - 2.75 1st ?

22.39 - Albahr - 2.25 1st ?

Both bets are for these horses to win.  Hopefully the Appleby / Dettori team will work their magic again.

Edited by alexcaruso808

1 hour ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Thanks - I forgot to check the Godolphin website today!! 

Woodbine

10.06 - Wild beauty - 2.75

22.39 - Albahr - 2.25

Both bets are for these horses to win.  Hopefully the Appleby / Dettori team will work their magic again.

Good luck if you backed them , fancy Albahr but EMINENT VICTOR of Chad Browns in the 1006 seems better value at around 7/2.

52 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Does anybody make any money on USA racing, seems a bit of a lottery to me.

I made a tidy sum 10yrs or so ago following Timeform's USA tips. Made enough to rent a town house for 2 weeks in Bildeston, Suffolk for my own 40th. 20-25 friends and family, with full in-house catering 1 Saturday night from a restaurant in nearby Sudbury.

I wonder who was the Timeform tipster(s) behind that lovely run.

Happy days indeed.

14 hours ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Does the speed ratings of the horses figure into how you bet?  I see a lot of things written about American horses and speed ratings, even moreso than UK and Irish racing.  

I tend to use them although on US site Equibase they can differ with At The Races & I use Racing Post for trainer & jockey stats at courses .

Far easier to pick a winner over 5.5f on Gulfsteam's dirt track than it is in this weekend's Cambridgeshire .

3 hours ago, calva decoy said:

I tend to use them although on US site Equibase they can differ with At The Races & I use Racing Post for trainer & jockey stats at courses .

Far easier to pick a winner over 5.5f on Gulfsteam's dirt track than it is in this weekend's Cambridgeshire .

Where are the course stats on Racing Post?  

19 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Does anybody make any money on USA racing, seems a bit of a lottery to me.

I tend to lose less than UK racing .

Far more odds on favourites seem to get turned over in lesser grade racing whereas in the quality high grade races generally top 3 in the market .

Do yourself a month trial with a virtual budget in October say 5 horses over a Friday , Saturday & Sunday & see how you get on .

3 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Do yourself a month trial with a virtual budget in October say 5 horses over a Friday , Saturday & Sunday & see how you get on .

I had a go with US racing in lockdown but couldn't make any sense of it and lost money. I might have a dabble if any on here shows a profit but not seen anything so far.

21 hours ago, gbettle said:

I made a tidy sum 10yrs or so ago following Timeform's USA tips. Made enough to rent a town house for 2 weeks in Bildeston, Suffolk for my own 40th. 20-25 friends and family, with full in-house catering 1 Saturday night from a restaurant in nearby Sudbury.

I wonder who was the Timeform tipster(s) behind that lovely run.

Happy days indeed.

One thing I should mention was that during that wonderful run I swear the majority of the favs I was backing were not odds-on. I was retelling this constantly to colleagues that a fav in UK\Ire could easily be odds-on vs. in the US, where they seemed to be 2/1, 3/1 or longer.

Does the fav-longshot bias not exist in US racing? Or is the fav simply not over-bet as much in the US as in the UK\Eire?

Forgot about this thread so posted a winner in the normal racing group earlier this evening. 

2021 Thistledown Galtero 5/1 1/2pt win

(I was torn between Galtero & Valeroso 5/1, but went with Galtero in the end. I'm not convinced by the two market principles) I might still go Valeroso e/w if the price is right. 

Will be one more US Selection later but I think it will open around 4/5