** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

How much do you use/should I use the RP spotlights on their cards?

Hi guys,

Just wondering how much attention you guys pay to the RP spotlights on their racing cards when looking at a days racing. I find myself using them a lot and them being very helpful but I often wonder if I should actually do all the work myself but that would mean spending a lot of time going through all the pedigrees the form, etc. for a race which would simply take too much time. I definitely don’t always agree with the spotlights though and don’t treat them as law. 

Any thoughts appreciated, 

Matt

I look at them after I’ve picked out my horse, so I don’t get influenced by it.  Nowadays I prefer to put a bit of work in myself, so if I lose its down to me . Now and again I might have their Nap of the day if I like the look of it. I check their Nap of the day most days. I only tend to bet on Friday  and Saturdays as I just don’t have the time to properly look into racing everyday.  Paul Kealy of the RP sometimes does a banker of the day on a Saturday. I usually go with that. 

Mostly just what’s on the card, and write ups, but I sometimes watch replays if I get time. Most on here will tell you to watch replays and they are right, you should. I try and watch as much live racing as I can apart from if it’s all weather, as I don’t usually bother with that. 

Edited by Villa Chris

Depends really ..... I do go through periods of laziness and hard work 

When I'm in a lazy period I tend to use the RP Comments a lot if only to narrow down the field to a handful which I'll then have a quick look at the form. The advantage of this is that I can look at a lot of races

When I'm feeling more enthusuastic I start with the form and do each horse in turn, making notes, ........ then I might look at the comments to see if I have missed anything obvious. The trouble with this approach is that it does take me an hour or 90 minutes to 'do a race' which means I have to spend time picking the right race before I start as I'm probably only looking at one race a day in detail. I find I can't keep this up for days on end and then I lapse back into lazy mode

I can't seem to find a happy medium ...... ?

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it. I’m glad I have the same opinion as the rest of you. I understand that doing it yourself is important and watching replays is vital to becoming a better punter but completely analysing a race takes a lot of time and means you engage with less races overall. I’ll try my best to find a happy medium. 

Thanks ?