** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Sunday Apr 19th

Good Luck

Will stick with my policy of following one jockey at the Hong Kong meetings, and at Sha Tin will follow K C Leung on his 8 rides

5.45-Supreme Plus..each way @ 20-1  Paddy Power

6.15-Gala Night...each way [4 places] @ 7-1  Bet Victor

6.45-Yes We Can..each way [4 places] @ 14-1 Bet Victor

7.15-Ping Hai Treasure..Win @ 8-1 William Hill

8.05-General Trump...each way @ 14-1 Paddy Power

9.40-Zero Hedge...each way [4 places]  @ 12-1 Bet Victor

10.15-Kings Shield...Win @ 5-1 Coral 

10.50-Beauty Icon...each way [4 places] @ 16-1  William Hill

It was good to get the 1-2 in the All Aged Stakes earlier today with Tofone just getting the better of Pierata at a decent price and Selica got caught late on to deny us at Morphettville. Apart from that we didn't have too much go our way especially with the two Caulfield picks running way below par. Anyway we move on to Pakenham (also known as Racing.com Park) on Sunday and there are 5 jumps races on the card for those of you who are missing some jumping action.

Race 1 (2.30am)

The opener is a maiden hurdle and it sees Sir Isaac Newton make his hurdling debut. I am sure he needs no introduction having been trained by Aiden O'Brian in Ireland before going to Australia. On flat form he is by far the best horse in the race even though he probably wasn't quite as good as he was in Ireland. He hasn't run since November 2018 in a race, but one of the great things about Australian racing is they have public trials and he has had two last month. It also means we have seen him jump hurdles already. In the first he was quite novicey to start with, but got better as the trial went on. Jumping was better last time, but the concern was the fact he came last. Now his jockey made no real effort to go with the others, but it was still a bit concerning. The first trial though did prove the engine was still there.

The only other horse I think can win the race is Anaheim who on flat form is the 2nd best horse in the race. He's being running well on the flat this prep and he was lame after his start when he did disappoint. He has also had two trials over hurdles winning both, one in February and then at the beginning of this month. I was impressed with his jumping technique and we know he is fit ahead of his hurdles debut.

The others look a moderate bunch. Granted just because they have mainly been running in BM58 races on the flat doesn't mean they won't do something over hurdles, but those who have run over hurdles look pretty ordinary and we have two potentially good recruits here. 

I am going to favour Anaheim here as he has fitness on his side and overall I was happier with his jumping in the trials. I think it is sensible to have some sort of cover bet on Sir Isaac Newton as well though given his class and the fact I don't fancy anything else in the race.

Anaheim @ 6/4 with Betfred, Paddy Power and Betfair

Sir Isaac Newton @ 23/10 with Bet365

Race 2 (3.10am)

3 in here with a chance for me Andrea Mantegna , Runaway and Exemplar. Andrea Mantegna has the most hurdling experience of the 3 having run 6 times for 1 win, 2 2nds and 2 3rds. He was 2nd in the Grand National Hurdle at Morphettville last June which was a good effort and he won a hurdle trial last time. He's been running OK in 3 flat runs this prep although he has to give weight away to the other 2 and that might tell. 

Exemplar is making is hurdling debut and is having his 1st race since finishing last to Shared Ambition on Melbourne Cup day. He is a decent horse on the level though and has had a couple of hurdle trials including last time when he was in one with Runaway. He was 17L behind Runaway there although his jockey didn't make any real effort to win it. Speaking of Runaway he hasn't been showing a great deal on the flat of late, but is clearly enjoying going over hurdles and he bolted up by 12L on his hurdling debut last month. With that experience behind him I think he is the one to beat and we know he is fit. As an aside Runaway is a rig which you don't see very often.

Runaway @ 7/5 with Bet365

Race 3 (3.50am)

The big hurdle race on the card is the MJ Bourke Hurdle and I have this between Bit Of A Lad, Gobstopper, Mr One eleven and Northern Voyage.

Bit Of a lad was 2nd to Ablaze in a chase last time and that looks good form given how good Ablaze looks. He won the Brierly Chase last year which is a big race at the Warrnambool Carnival in April and May. It has been a while since he last ran over hurdles, but if he can show his chase form he should run well.

Gobstopper has won 3 of his 5 races over hurdles including a easy success last month. He didn't show much on the flat the next time and he was behind Mr One Eleven on the flat in February.

Mr One Eleven won this race last year which was the middle of a hat-trick. He then finished 2nd to Big Blue (the horse who has been running over here in the last few months) in the Galleywood at the Warrnambool. He lost his form after that, but his flat form has looked decent in races he has mainly been a big price in. 

Northern Voyage won a couple of hurdles last August and then was 2nd to Ablaze. He won a couple of trials including beating Woodsman on his return, but in his first race Woodsman beat him at Warrnambool last month. He was really well backed on that occasion and you would imagine he should improve for it.

I am going to side with last year's winner Mr One Eleven who has been in good form on the level and his best hurdling form was at this time of year last time around.

Mr One Eleven 4/1 with Betfred

Race 4 (4.30am)

The betting has this as a two horse race between The Dominator and Euroman. The Dominator hasn't been seen over fences since 2018 when he won on his chase debut before falling when in front at 2 out in the Australian Steeplechase. Hard to know where he would have finished, but he would have gone close as he was still going well at the time. He finished in front of Ablaze in a trial at the beginning of last month and has run OK in a couple of flat races since. 

Euroman has yet to run over fences but was a fair enough 3rd over hurdles in the Woodsman and Northern Voyage race last time. He's a fair enough hurdler, but for me he will have to show a bit more to beat The Dominator and I make that one the main bet.

I am also going to have a small bet e/w on Bold Bandit who started life finishing 2nd in an Irish point at Dromahane. He was sold to Australia after that and won a flat race on his first start. He has yet to win over fences or hurdles, but he ran well enough last month over fences on his first start since September 2018. He should improve on the back of that and could easily play a part in this.

The Dominator @ 6/4 with Betfred

Bold Bandit @ 9/1 with Betfred

Race 5 (5.10am)

The big race on the card should go to either Zed Em or Ablaze. Zed Em has won 13 times over jumps including plenty of the big Australian jump races. He even managed to win a flat race earlier this month. That was a BM58 though and Ablaze has won a BM84 at Moonee Valley in February which landed a hat-trick on the level for him. He was an impressive winner of the JJ Hurdle in August and bolted up on his chase debut last month. Zed Em has been there and got the t-shirt whereas Ablaze is the progressive horse over fences. Ablaze is the most likely winner for me although he is long odds on so it is a race to watch and not bet in for me.

The alarm is set £20 fun Sunday morning.

545- SHANGHAI RUSKY 18/1 Betfred £1 each way 4 places 

615- GO BALLISTIC 6/1 Betfred £3 each way 4 places

645- SUPER RED DRAGON 5/2 Betfair £5 Win

910- GLENEALY GENERALS 10/1 Betfred £1.50 each way 4 places

940- HANDSOME REBEL 7/1 Betfair £2 each way 4 places 

Good luck if playing ? A COMPLETE BLANK , SHOULD HAVE HAD A LIE IN THOUGH FANTASY WON NAP PICK BUT DON'T BET ODDS ON SHOTS.

Edited by calva decoy
Results update

Gulfstream
4   TREVESS (  5   15  6 )
3   MEMORIZE ( 6   1   5 )
5   MIA'S EXTORTIONIST ( 2   3   4 )
1   FAST VENEZUELA  ( 3   5   2 )
3   POP A CHOC ( 11  9   4  )
6   KIFFLE ( 9   8   1 )
4   BROOKES ALL MINE ( 9   2   8 )
14  KAUFY BEAN ( 15  7   4 )
7   BLAKEY ( 5   6   2 )
15  BLUE MISTRESS ( 2   8   10 )
13  SNEER ( 9   5   2 )
======================================
Tampa Bay Downs
2   MERENGUE (  5   7   3 )
5   SAISON ( 6   7   2 )
4   SECRET MAGICIAN  ( 6   10  2 )
2   LADY'S ISLAND ( 1   4   3  )
1   MATINEE GIRL ( 4   6   7 )
3   MEILLEUR ( 4   8   1 )
8   DIVINE MARTHA ( 1   2   3 )
2   DEVASTATING MOVE (  6   10  1 )
3   BAHAMA PEARL ( 14  1   8 )

Tampa Bay  LONGSHOTS

RACE 3 10 BUMPA
RACE 5 6 PERT 
RACE 7 2 DYNAPOWER 
RACE 8 12BETWEENHEREANDC  

Edited by Swaning
UPDATA

Tampa

9.15.     Seventysevenwillow.   15/2.      Pl.

GP

9.25.      Street Ready.    20/1.       1st

9.55.       Arrivederla.      25/1.       Unpl.

10.55.      Better With Age.    14/1.      Unpl.

Edited by Nigwilliam
Result

15 hours ago, Striker said:

Good Luck

Will stick with my policy of following one jockey at the Hong Kong meetings, and at Sha Tin will follow K C Leung on his 8 rides

5.45-Supreme Plus..each way @ 20-1  Paddy Power

6.15-Gala Night...each way [4 places] @ 7-1  Bet Victor 3rd

6.45-Yes We Can..each way [4 places] @ 14-1 Bet Victor

7.15-Ping Hai Treasure..Win @ 8-1 William Hill

8.05-General Trump...each way @ 14-1 Paddy Power

9.40-Zero Hedge...each way [4 places]  @ 12-1 Bet Victor 4th

10.15-Kings Shield...Win @ 5-1 Coral 

10.50-Beauty Icon...each way [4 places] @ 16-1  William Hill

No cigar again but put Beauty Icon in your tracker as he was unlucky 

The big meeting in HK is next Sunday with 3 group one races to finish the card

Then they carry on with two weekly meetings until mid July when the season ends ....... starts again in September

I gave it a miss today 'cos I was watching something on TV last night for two hours ...... and I reckon with so many races you need a whole evening to do it justice

Plus spending 4 hours on an HK card then having zero winners is a bit demoralising ............ ? ...... might be an idea to cut down the number of races, say just concentrate on sprints or mile plus

I might just do the sprints for the next few meetings and see how that goes .... 

Must say I'm tempted to get back into doing speed figures .... it looks an ideal set up with only a couple of tracks and (probably?) fairly settled weather so not much variation in going. With only a couple of meetings a week it won't take much time to keep it up to date

edit ....... oh and course, I've got plenty of time on my hands at the moment ..... ?

Edited by Trotter

Tonight's US action ...... 

Gulfstream

5.55 - Myfirstexwife

6.24 - Memorise

6.53 - Mighty Fast

7.23 - Fast Venezuela

7.53 - Gibberish

8.23 - Britesideoftheroad

8.53 - Brookes all Mine

9.25 - Hombrazo

9.55 - Trappezoid