Announcements
** July Nap's Competition Result : 1st Rainbow, 2nd Trainmad091, 3rd Zidane123, KO Cup Bathtime For Rupert, Most Winners Alastair, Goodwood Comp: Glavintoby**
**July Poker League Result : 1st Craggwood £75, 2nd Like2Fish £45, 3rd Rivrd £30**
Sign in to follow this  
Fader

Modus Icon Of Darts

8 hours ago, Fader said:

I'm going to take Askew. The 9/2 on offer is a big price in my opinion as it does seem like Evans and Nijman have been tailing off alittle. Koltsov will be an interesting one and maybe one to keep an eye on.

Oh, why didn't I take him for a point. Nothing is really going right recently with the Modus leagues. Askew started perfectly in thrashing Evans 5-1 but he just got some top performances against him. Won 2 and lost 2 to two 100+ averages.

Anyway back to tomorrow morning. Monk returns for his first of the week, whilst Huckvale has the day off after letting me down this morning. Jenkins was another one to fully let me down this morning after having 5 match darts to beat Nicholson at 4-4 in the first match, which set the tone for the rest of the morning. Portela and Hubbard both had averages in the early 80s on the whole and so although that will probably improve it's enough for me to rule them out.

Nicholson is the favourite again after winning all four this morning and the value isn't there. I think for me, it's a toss up between following Jenkins again and siding with Monk. Monk plays Nicholson in his last match and so I think I'll side with Monk. I would fancy Monk to beat Jenkins. 

Monks Vs Nicholson H2H (Nicholson 2, Monk 1)
Monks Vs Jenkins H2H (Monk 2, Jenkins 1)

2pts A.Monk to win Day 2 (Morning) 5/2 betfair

Modus bets -18pts

I will add a match bet for tomorrow also. I think Monk beats Portela with a couple legs to spare. As I mentioned before, Portela somehow got a couple of wins with lowly 80 averages and anything 90+ should see this bet win and hopefully cut this defecit down

5.5pts A.Monk (-1.5 legs) to beat D.Portela 10/11 betfair 

Whilst the "Morning shift" are well underway, I'm having a look at the "Evening shift". There's no Wessel Nijman tonight (which I'm happy about) and in comes Scott Mitchell. I mentioned before, but I feel Askew got abit unlucky yesterday. He beat Evans and Wolfie and faced a 110 average from Koltsov and a 100+ Nijman. I'm going to take him again knowing that there is no Nijman atleast. 

We don't know what's to be expected tonight with Koltsov but I think I'm going to give him the benefit of this weaker group and side with him also. I think 4/1 on Askew certainly looks a nice price and 11/2 on Koltsov (if he performs anywhere near like he did last night) looks primed value too.

2pts J.Askew to win Day 2 (evening) 4/1 william hill
1pt B.Koltsov to win Day 2 (evening) 11/2 bet365

Oh, isn't that a surprise? Jenkins (backed yesterday) wins today, So expect Monk to win tomorrow :D 

Luckily, Monk atleast did the business against Portela to make some small daily gains. Really, he should have won the group, missing multiple darts to win the penultimate game. A leg he missed several darts at, to win and one that would have meant the group win. Ah well. I'm getting used to this kind of thing.

Looking at the mornings group, out goes Paul Nicholson and back in comes Huckvale. Huckvale has had a day off from his debut in this and although his debut wasn't nothing too brilliant, he really should have won the first match, which always makes a big difference. This group is going to be very weak tomorrow. Monk is missing so many doubles, Jenkins never performs across 4 matches, and i just dont think Portela is all that.

It leaves me Hubbard and Huckvale and for me it's an easy choice on Huckvale

1.5pts J.Huckvale to win Day 3 (morning) 13/2 coral

Modus bets -18pts

...and ofcourse Monk wins.

Yesterday Wolfie wins all 4 to take the group. It's Wolfie who interests me tonight too. He is obviously playing well now and if he continues to hit his doubles there's every chance he could get another group win. Mitchell was always going to have a bad day yesterday, after a day off. I think it may take another day or two though and the offer of 7/5 on him beating Mitchell is too big. Indeed so is the 8/1 on the group win. 

1pt M.Adams to win Day 3 (evening) 8/1 william hill
2.5pts M.Adams to beat S.Mitchell 7/5 betvictor 

Modus bets -19.5pts

Martin Adams wins all four matches for a lovely 8/1 winner. 

Tomorrow sees the return of Paul Nicholson and a well needed rest for Andy Jenkins. I think it will be a 2-horse race. Infact, based on trends Huckvale will win, because everybody i tip up wins a week later, but I'll continue,

I think a 2-horse race. Monk looked excellent this morning winning all four of his matches and hitting a 9-darter along the way. His h2h with Nicholson is 2-1 to Nicholson but I've found that when a player has a day off, he isn't normally straight into it, hitting the big numbers.

I'm just going to take a point tomorrow on Monk doing what he done today. The clean sweep.

1pt A.Monk to win all four matches 4/1 paddypower

Modus bets -8pts

Not to be today and indeed the "2nd horse" of that 2-horse race goes on to win the group. 

Looking at tonight, there's alot more darts tonight and that's because we have Phil Taylor in the evening group. He will not actually be getting any points, but he will be playing each player, which gives another dynamic to betting on these markets. I'm not sure about Phil. I'm not convinced he's been practising, he isn't familiar to the setup like the others are and his last match was on the soft tip boards. I'm surprised to see he's a favourite in every match up.

It also turns me off betting on the group tonight. I think they have it about right. Nijman is the favourite, but at a short price. The returning Askew and Mitchell are 4/1 joint second favourites and maybe Mitchell is due a turn around in form tonight. I can't pick Askew again until he gets more consistent. Adams is 9/2 but you can't expect him to win again, after winning 8 in a row now. I'll take Koltsov. He tends to do well against Askew and beat Nijman yesterday too. His price offers value here.

1pt B. Koltsov to win Day 4 (evening) 5/1 betfred

I'm also going to back Koltsov and Askew to hit over 3.5 180s. Koltsov, as mentioned above, tends to do OK with Askew. I'm not sure if that's because he can keep up with him on the scoring or because Askew just doesn't like playing him, but either way they've had 10 180s in there last 2 matches. 

5pts Over 3.5 180s - B.Koltsov Vs J.Askew 4/5 bet365

Another day of Modus darts get started in just over an hour. Jenkins comes back into the mix and Portela is on a day off. This league is very much a coin flip in many matches now and it's hard finding any real value. the top 2 in nicholson and monk are tussling it out, whilst the rest are just inconsistent.

Yesterday came down to who won that first match. Monk should have won it but when he didn't, he went off the boil and Nicholson won all 4. Jenkins being back adds alittle bit of action to those two, although a player returning doesn't always mean they're going to perform and be fresh and ready to go

Monk has a nicer start of the two and I think Ill side with him based on that.

2pts A.Monk to win Day 5 9/4 bet365

Well I just seem cursed in this league at the moment. Monk had 2 chances to win this group and he threw them both away. Couldn't even beat Huckvale so no more betting on Monk. Scoring gone to pot. 

Looking at how I can be disappointed tonight, I'm going to take Askew and another pop at Adams. Unbelievably, Adams won again last night to make it 3 wins in a row of the group and yet he's still priced up at 9/2. Askew was playing brilliant yesterday but the later times obviously got to him and he just "ran out of steam" 

1pt M.Adams to win Day 5 (Evening) 5/1 bet365
2pts J.Askew to win Day 5 (Evening) 9/2 paddypower
0.5pts M.Adams to win all 4 matches 25/1 paddypower
0.5pts J.Askew to win all 4 matches 16/1 paddypower

Askew close again but Nijman was on fire last night. I've left the morning session today because the quality is just very poor and it's becoming abit stale. Today is the last day in that and Paul Nicholson has fell over the line to win that group. Monday brings a new fresh look at that hopefully.

Looking at tonight and we've got another visitor and this time it's Fallon Sherrock. It will be interesting to see players up against a woman. We know that some players just can't cope with it and it may throw them off in there other matches. Looking at the table :

With Martin Adams having a stinker and losing all four matches last night and with him having the day off tonight it means statistically 3 players could win it. However, there is no way Nijman is not going to win atleast 1. Realistically you'd have to say that Nijman is going to win this group. However, the first "competitive match" is Nijman Vs Askew and if Askew wins that it could get interesting. That would make it 22-18 in points. Nijman has struggled against certain players and in that scenario, if Askew won all 4 he could win the group but hey, it's not going to happen. Even if Nijman lost 3 out of 4 he would probably win on leg difference.

I like Nijman here. We've seen with Askew that these longer nights have took a toll on him and Nijman was relentless yesterday. I'll take a shot on him winning all 5 matches (which includes his match with Sherrock)

2pts W. Nijman to win all five matches 6/1 paddypower

This gets going again this morning. Here is the morning shift :

Ritchie Edhouse (day off)
Jarred Cole
Jose Justicia
Anastasia Dobromyslova
Justin Smith
Keelan Kay

Edhouse and Jarred Cole have been here before. With Edhouse missing today I fancy Jarred Cole to win this. I dont know much about the favourite in Justin smith but he did beat Andy Jenkins and lose a deciding leg to Wesley Harms not long ago. He has also been showing on Twitter a high average in his practice but it's Cole that I like. His experience of already being here is a big factor but not only that. He shows you need a few days to bed down and get involved here.

Cole has had 20 matches with Modus and won 9. His first couple of averages were in the lower to mid 70s. Whereas in the 2nd half of that event, in the last 10 matches alone, he won 5 from his last 9 and averaged 91.34 so it takes time and a few are going to feel that this morning in my opinion.

If Cole uses that experience I think the 7/2 on offer is value

2pts J. Cole to win Day 1 7/2 coral

Modus bets -22pts

I'm also looking to lay Dobromyslova today. She's barely touched a dart in a while by all accounts and I can see it being a long day for her. She starts her campaign against Justin Smith and I'm not sure how he is going to cope either, so it's one to swerve but I do think it's worth going with the handicap when she plays Jose Justicia. His form has gone pretty poor recently but he should have enough in that match to win with ease. I also think Jarred Cole will win with ease but i'm going to see how the first matches go before getting in on that.

2.5pts J.Justiica (-2.5 legs) to beat A.Dobromyslova 6/5 betfair 

Just taking a look at the evening shift. Here's the line-up this week :

Wessel Nijman
David Evans
Martin Adams
Mike Warburton
Fallon Sherrock
Kyle McKinstry

Wessel Nijman takes today off. That will help the rest, no doubt. Evans and Adams are the other 2 returnees. Sherrock becomes a group member instead of just a guest. David Evans is the obvious favourite on Day 1. Mike Warburton will be interesting to watch. He won a couple of BDO events last year and also got to a couple finals and semi-finals. This year in the 3 tournaments he has played, he has made the last 16 in two of them and then won the Isle Of Man open where he beat Martin Adams in the final. Although this was at BDO level, it could be interesting to see how he fares.

We know what to expect from Fallon Sherrock. She quite impressed me with her level last week. Kyle McKinstry is another BDO guy who has switched to the PDC now. He won the Northern Ireland Open 6 months ago and beat Wessel Nijman along the way 5-2 in the last 64. He also performed well in the UK Open, where he beat Fallon Sherrock 6-1 int he first round. He got to the Last 16 of that event losing 10-8 to Van Der Bergh.

You would have to side with Evans here. He's going to want to get a good lead over Nijman. We don't know how Wolfie is going to return to this. He may have needed the rest after the poor penultimate day where he lost all 4. I can't have Warburton or Sherrock. McKinstry is going to be a threat if he hits the ground running. Maybe he's worth a saver here.

2pts D. Evans to win Day 1 (evening) 6/4 paddypower
1pt K. McKinstry to win all 4 matches 8/1 paddypower

Modus bets -22pts

Evans wins the group. Only on leg difference to McKinstry though. The 8/1 only held back due to Evans beating him. Let's take a look at tomorrow mornings line up :

Justin Smith
Jarred Cole
Jose Justicia
Aaron Monk
Ritchie Edhouse
Keelan Kay

Out goes unlucky Justin Smith who lost out at topping the table by one leg. He was leading Jarred Cole 2-1 when his internet went down and once he got it back he wasn't the same player and lost the next 4 legs in a row, to lose the top spot. Which I'm pleased about ofcourse having backed it. Monk comes in for Dobromyslova. I'm not sure why that is and if it was meant to happen or not but we're not sure how Monk will play tomorrow as last week he was actually quite poor.

In comes Ritchie Edhouse, who has some previous experience after playing the evening shift with Modus. Edhouse won 7 matches in his 20 but he was up against the likes of Nijman, Evans, Wolfie, Mitchell and Van Barneveld. That level is much higher than what he has here. He actually gradually got better and better. In the first half of his matches he played 10, lost 8 of them and had a 90 average losing those 8. In the last 10, he won 5 and his average went up to 95.20.

If he plays to that consistency tomorrow then he is the one to beat. Aaron Monk is the big favourite tomorrow and Monk Vs Edhouse is the very first match, so it could be quite a defining match If Edhouse wins it then he has a real good chance of the clean sweep. I find it mad that Cole is 35/1 to also win all 4. Don't get me wrong, they're both outsider bets but low risk, high reward!

1pt R. Edhouse to win all four matches 10/1 paddypower
0.5pts J. Cole to win all four matches 35/1 paddypower

Modus bets -11pts

Ugh, Edhouse wins 3 in a row and then loses to Jared Cole to end up 2nd on leg difference.

Tonight sees the return of Wessel Nijman to make the group even more competitive. Evans and Nijman look to be the favourites in the group with McKinstry a third favourite. Mckinstry had moments of real quality yesterday. You'd have to say that Sherrock and Warburton are unlikely to make the top of the group. Martin Adams sits out tonight. If Nijman had Evans in the first match I would say Nijman could struggle to get going but he has a first match against Warburton whilst Evans first match is against Nijman.

This makes me think Nijman wins today but I'll also have a bet on McKinstry as I think he could perform well. 

4pts W.Nijman to win Day 2 (evening) 15/8 paddypower
1pt S.McKinstry to win all four matches day 2 (evening) 14/1 paddypower

Modus bets -12.5pts

This morning, Smith returns and out goes Monk. Smith had a good first day and only lost by 1 leg and so it should be a close table this morning.

Aaron Monk
Jarred Cole
Jose Justicia
Justin Smith
Ritchie Edhouse
Keelan Kay

I think Edhouse probably wins this as he should have done yesterday Jarred Cole decided to turn up for the last match. I think Cole is the value here. I would rate his chances the same as Smith and so 5/1 is a big price. As abit of cover I'll try Smith to win all 4 also.

1.5pts J.Cole to win Day 3 (morning) 5/1 williamhill
1pt J.Smith to win all 4 matches 15/2 paddypower

Modus bets -17.5pts

Can you get any more unlucky? Smith wins by leg difference but ofcourse wins 3 out of 4 and not the whole 4. Ugh 

Straight into the evening shift to see how I can be let down next. Group line-up is :

W. Nijman
M. Adams
D. Evans
F. Sherrock
K. McKinstry

I think the value is with Wolfie tonight. Nijman and Adams are big favourites and you can see why ofcourse. Most likely there head-2-head match will shape the group once again but Wolfie is the kind of player that matches what the person is throwing and will go with Evans and Nijman with the scoring and I think at the price, it's easily the best value. I'm also going to take a McKinstry to get the better of Sherrock with a few to spare.

2pts M. Adams to win Day 3 (Evening) 7/1 sportingbet
6pts K. McKinstry (-1.5 legs) to beat F. Sherrock 5/6 paddypower

Monk comes back in today, Justicia is having the day off. After getting rather unlucky yesterday i'm going to stick with what i went with yesterday. Cole is 6/1 today when he was a matter of legs away from winning the group. I like Smith also, it's a shame he has Edhouse first, who seems to start off amazing and slowly degrade

I'll take Smith to beat Monk in the match-up also. Smith played Monk yesterday after the group and beat him 5-4 despite having a 5 point less average. 

2pts J.Smith to win Day 4 (morning) 11/4 paddypower
0.5pts J.Cole to win all 4 (morning) 22/1 williamhill
1pt J.Smith to win all 4 matches 9/1 paddypower

2pts J.Smith to beat A.Monk 5/4 paddypower

pretty woeful form on this at the moment. The evening shift gets started in about 30mins and you would have to fancy Nijman or Evans to win that one. I'll take Nijman to do the daily win and also the clean sweep. It's all about the h2h with Evans in Nijmans second match once again but Nijman won it yesterday 5-3 and won 3 out 4 only losing to Sherrock who was bang in form yesterday and not here today.

2pts W. Nijman to win Day 4 Evening 7/4 paddypower
1pt W. Nijman to win all 4 9/2 paddypower

Looking at the group tomorrow, Jarred Cole takes a day off after once again coming legs away from winning the daily group. In comes Justicia. Edhouse has a poor day yesterday and lost all 4 matches despite having a half decent average (90 average across 4 matches) but like alot of players, the doubling went to cr*p. Smith and Cole both won their first games but somehow neither got into the winners circle for the group. 

Cole may find himself knocked off the table by the end of the day, with Monk just 2 wins away and a better leg difference. Smith is very frustrating to back though. He only averaged an 85 average yesterday and that's just not good enough. Monk could also top the table if he won 3 out of 4. Monk played best yesterday and averaged mid 90s. It's Monk who I'm going to back tomorrow. He faces Justicia first up and then Smith. They have a game each h2h but Smith looked dodgy yesterday and Monk beat him 5-2. 

I'm also going to take a paddypower 'what-odds' and it's one I've taken a couple of times now. Edhouse has played Smith twice now. Both had 5 180s. Both had 100+ checkouts. Edhouse and Smith both tend to start well and then degrade. This could be a good match. Also going to take Monk to get the match treble against Jose. He beat him 5-0 in there only other match and although it may not be 5-0 again, I do feel like he will outscore him atleast.

4pts A. Monk to win Day 5 Morning 7/4 coral
1pt (R. Edhouse Vs J.Smith) Each player 1 or more 180 & 2 or more 100+ checkouts in the match 6/1 paddypower
1pt A. Monk to win the match, most 180s, highest checkout Vs J.Justicia 3/1 paddypower

Modus bets -31pts

Monk wins the match treble against Justicia atleast. Wins 3 out of 4 but Edhouse decided to turn up. 

looking at tonight, we have Phil Taylor playing again and we have the return of Fallon Sherrock. The turn of McKinstry to have a day off. Taylor performed well last time and he actually surprised me with the level he was still playing at. Nijman won it last night but Wolfie was a leg or two away from topping the table. It's Wolfie who I'm backing tonight. Nijman looked pretty poor in the last couple of matches yesterday and his big scoring gets him out of it every now and then. I think he will lose against Taylor tonight in the first match and then he faces Wolfie and David Evans up after that so it doesn't get any easier for him. It could let Wolfie sneak in.

2pts M.Adams to win Day 5 evening 11/2 bet365
1pt P. Taylor to win all 4 of his matches 4-0. 4-1 or 4-2 25/1 paddypower
1pt M. Warburton to lose all 5 matches 4/1 paddypower
7pts P. Taylor (-1.5 legs) to beat M. Warburton 4/7 paddypower

Modus bets -33pts

Jarred Cole returns this morning and Keelan Kay is out. It's quite a line-up today and will be very competitive. Monk sits on top of the table now but Cole could go back to the top if he can have a good day. It's cole who I'm sticking with this morning. I don't get why Cole is 5/1 here. 

2pts J. Cole to win Day 6 morning 6/1 bet365
2pts A. Monk to beat J.Justicia, most 180s and highest checkout 5/2 paddypower
0.5pts J.Smith to win all 4 matches 16/1 paddypower
0.5pts J. Cole to win all 4 matches 20/1 paddypower

Modus bets -33pts

Cole really bottled today. He should have won the day. Consistently takes the lead in a match and then bottles it. Small profit for the morning thanks to Monk hitting the match treble again. Looking at the evening shift it surprises me that they have priced up Sherrock at 13/2. She isn't going to keep hitting such huge checkouts but it's hardly luck when you think that in her 5 matches yesterday she hit checkouts of 104, 122, 160, 140 & 152.

She has a nice schedule tonight in that she doesn't play Nijman until last and Nijman isn't playing well at the moment anyway. He starts against Adams and has a really good record against Adams but Adams did win the last match. Adams seems to be another player who starts well the it turns to c**p. I'm going to take a punt on Sherrock winning her first match with a match combo. She has beaten Warburton in there last 2 meetings and 1 of those last 2 she hit the combo. 

I'll take Nijman to get most 180s against Mckinstry. They have played eachother 3 times now and Nijman has won all 3 in 180s. McKinstry beat him yesterday 5-3 and yet Nijman still won the 180 count 3-0. 

Finally, I'll take Sherrock on the match combo against Adams. She's beaten Adams in all 3 matches and 5-1 in the last 2. She's got the most 180s in all 3 of those.

2pts F. Sherrock to win Day 6 evening 13/2 paddypower
1pt F. Sherrock to win all 4 matches 33/1 paddypower

1pt F. Sherrock to beat Warburton, Most 180s and Highest Checkout 4/1 paddypower
1pt F. Sherrock to beat M. Adams, Most 180s and Highest Checkout 5/1 paddypower

5.5pts W.Nijman to get the most 180s Vs K. McKinstry 8/11 paddypower

Modus bets -31pts

It's definitely worth backing Sherrock to win one of these. If anyone thought the World's was a flash in the pan, she's proved since then that it definitely wasn't - although she didn't manage to get her tour card which was a bit surprising.

Despite that setback, she's beaten some of the best players in the world and very nearly beat Phil Taylor last night when she had the darts to do so. She scores well, she doubles well and she has a handy knack of taking out big checkouts which ramps up the pressure on all her opponents - it even seemed to get to Taylor last night when he lost a leg he was something like 200 ahead in.

The improvement in her game in the last few years has been unbelievable. I can remember watching her in the Women's World's a few years ago, even before her health problems, and she wasn't even the best player in that. She deserves a lot of credit for getting to the level she's now at.

1 minute ago, Torque said:

It had to happen - after talking her up on here, she puts in her worst performance in ages against Warburton in her opening match :\

Yep. First and last time I back her after that performance. Quite pathetic