** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Modus Icon Of Darts

Fader

So this started yesterday and rather annoyingly finished with the guy i would have backed winning the group. Wessel Nijman won all his group matches to land a 5 or 6/1 group win. Not that I would have backed him because of any kind of raw talent I think he has but the rest of the group looked poor. 

Group 2 gets played today and once again, for some strange reason, Barney is a favourite. Why would Barney care about this kind of event is beyond me. The only difference from yesterdays group is Mark Webster leaves and in comes Andy Jenkins.

The odds are alittle messed up from yesterday now and it basically offers everybody apart from Barney as a 4/1 which doesn't fill me with any excitement. Jenkins is a big price but I can't take him. By process of elimination yesterday I would have gone for Nijman and Evans and although Nicholson actually did quite well, I would stick with that.

2.5pts W.Nijman to win Group B at 11/5 bet365 

a few matches I also like the look of. I think Nicholson beats Jenkins in the first match. Nicholson will be alittle warmer to the task today whilst Jenkins comes straight into this event on day 2.

2.5pts P.Nicholson -1.5 legs to beat A.Jenkins 11/10 betfair

Nijman has now won 8/8 in this tournament. He tops the table as we go into Group C. The only switch tomorrow will be Paul Nicholson leaving us and Mark Webster coming back in. Barney has now lost all 8 matches and he'll want to do better tomorrow as he will go up against Phil Taylor in a one-off special exhibition on Thursday, at 7pm.

I've not seen any markets yet for the group winner but i'm sure Nijman will be a favourite or perhaps a joint favourite with Barney (bookmakers may wake-up and realise Barney doesn't care) but until i find a bookie offering prices the only thing I can look at is the match market.

Nijman has beaten Barney twice now in 2 days (5-1/5-3) We don't know if Barney is going to up his game tomorrow, but with it being the first match of the morning, I'm going to side with Nijman. Barney has lost 5-1 and 5-2 in the first match of the day and I get the feeling that trend may continue

2.5pts W.Nijman to beat Van Barneveld evens betfair

Now the outright market is up, i'll give Evans a chance today. Nijman the favourite today but with 8 wins in a row you would have to think at some point he's going to lose.I really can't be taking Barney, Webster or Jenkins and so really Evans looks a good outsider bet

2pts D.Evans to win Group C 4/1 bet365

Evans wins Group C by leg difference. Nijman had abit of bad luck today and lost a few deciders including the first against Barney. Evans, in general, was solid throughout. Jenkins had another solid day but his 5-0 loss to Evans was what made the difference.

+5.5pts today
+8.5pts Modus Icon Of Darts

Darts 2020 tips +70pts

Group D tomorrow. Barney is out and in comes Paul Nicholson. Here is the current "Outright table"

Pos Name Played W L Leg +/- Pt
1 Wessel Nijman 12 9 3 19 18
2 David Evans 12 8 4 12 16
3 Andy Jenkins 8 6 2 8 12
4 Paul Nicholson 8 3 5 -4 6
5 Mark Webster 8 2 6 -12 4
6 Raymond van Barneveld 12 2 10 -23 4

The outright table matters abit more now as the likes of Webster and Nicholson are not going to have the same "Oomph" to win as the top 3. It's the top 3 that interest me tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how Nijman plays tomorrow. If he doesn't perform he could really let in Evans and Jenkins too, who has 4 games in hand really.

I like Evans to continue his form but I like the price of Jenkins most. He's been pretty solid both days. He lost 5-0 to evans but after that defeat he really improved and only lost the group on leg difference. I think he is value for a couple of points. I'll take Nijman to bounce back also.

2pts W.Nijman to win Group D 5/2 paddypower
2pts A.Jenkins to win Group D 9/2 betfair
0.5pts A.Jenkins to win all 4 matches tomorrow 20/1 betfair

Evans wins again. A very good performance from Evans and one that takes him top of the main leaderboard also. Tomorrow there is no Nijman and so he has a chance to really extend his lead and if he wins all matches again tomorrow he has pretty match got it licked.

I can't see past Evans. Barney returns tomorrow after his 7-6 win over Taylor for charity and I wonder if he will be too bothered with this. 

2pts D.Evans to win Group E 7/4 paddypower
1pt D.Evans to win all his matches 5/1 betfair 

Modus Icon Of Darts Tips +4pts

Darts 2020 tips +68.5pts

Nicholson wins after blagging the first 2 matches he turned up for the main one with a 100 average and won the deciding leg. 

final group tomorrow. Current table is as follows :

1 David Evans 20 15 5 29 30
2 Wessel Nijman 16 12 4 21 24
3 Andy Jenkins 16 9 7 7 18
4 Paul Nicholson 16 8 8 2 16
5 Raymond van Barneveld 16 4 12 -25 8
6 Mark Webster 16 2 14 -34 4

No Evans tomorrow and so the only person who can win the event other than Evans is Nijman. He would need to win all 4 of his matches to guarantee the win and without Evans in the mix, I think there is a chance of that. Webster and Barney are write-offs and Nicholson is very hot and cold. If Nijman wins 3 out of 4 he will need a +9 difference in those results. 

1pt W.Nijman to win all four of his matches 5/1 betfair

Modus Icon Of Darts Tips +1pt
Darts 2020 tips +65.5pts

Nijman bottles it 4-1 up against the useless Webster. Incredible.

*Thanks to Nijman losing 4 legs in a row, he lost the top spot by 1 leg difference. Evans won it. This returns on Monday and we do it all again.*

Modus Icon Of Darts Tips level
Darts 2020 tips +64.5pts

Back to the Modus Darts tomorrow. Line-up :

J.Askew

P.Nicholson
A.Jenkins
R.Collins
A.Monk

After having a couple of decent days in a row last week, Nicholson goes into this as the deserved favourite. His price is too short for me. I feel I can write off Jenkins as he just seems inept at winning with any kind of pressure. The 3 newbies come in as unknowns and I wont be going mad here, but I'll take a chance on Monk. I know Collins is a second favourite and I think that is purely because he recently beat Smith and Van Der Pas but it's a different kind of setup here, at home. So I like Monk or Askew for the value. I'll side with Monk

2pts A.Monk to win Day 1 4/1 betfair

I'll add a match bet for tomorrow also. Nicholson has beaten Jenkins 5-2 three times in a row now and I'm backing him to win the h2h showdown tomorrow with a 1.5 leg handicap. Jenkins loses his cool quite quickly I've noticed and just throws in the towel

2.5pts P.Nicholson -1.5 legs to beat A.Jenkins 6/5 betfair

Ofcourse I picked the wrong one, out of the two I liked. Askew wins on frigging leg difference. Monk finishes 2nd. I like Monk still, tomorrow and I'll keep an eye on the outright for that. Meanwhile, Nicholson was awful today, as was Collins. Such a frustrating day.

This evening there is another little tournament starting. The quality likely to be much greater than some of the rubbish today. The evening session includes the following players :

• Van Barneveld
  • David Evans
  • Wessel Nijman
  • Martin Adams
  • Ritchie Edhouse
  • Scott Mitchell (doesn't play tonight)

We've already seen plenty of the first 3 and enough for me to rule out Barney. Evans and Nijman both looked sharp last week but are priced out by the bookies. Nijman would be the pick of those two, with the easier start. That makes me tempted by the clean sweep as a saver. Id rule out Adams. I'll take a punt on Edhouse.

2pts R.Edhouse to win Evening 1 15/2 bet365
1pt W.Nijman to win all 4 matches 7/1 betfair

Modus bets -4.5pts
darts 2020 +60pts

Up and down kind of day/night really. Edhouse doesn't look like he turned up but he actually got in leading positions in most of his matches and then threw it away (if you mind the pun?)

Nijman wins all four of his matches though, for a nice 7/1 winner.  I thought lightning was going to strike twice when he 4-1 up against Barney and then Barney was 1 dart from 4-4 but, finally a result that goes the right way and we're back into the black.

we'll do it all again tomorrow

Modus bets +0.5pts
darts 2020 +65pts

The Day 2 morning session brings Jarred Cole into the mix and allows Askew the day off. I mentioned before how I thought Monk had a good shout and even coming a few legs short he was one i would be interested in but ofcourse the bookies has priced that out and he is a 5/2 favourite, which I just can't have.

Nicholson seems to do the opposite of whatever I bet him to do and Collins looked abit weak to me and so the only two left are Andy Jenkins and newbie,  Jarred Cole. I'm not convinced by his pedigree and for me picking Jenkins seems the obvious move, albeit another player that flatters to deceive. He does tend to struggle with any kind of pressure and if he needs a result in the last match, i'm not convinced. I'll take him with a point. 

1pt A.Jenkins to win Day 2 4/1 bet365

Whilst the morning session gets into full swing, we can have a proper look at the evening session. This evening Martin Adams takes a breather whilst Scott Mitchell comes in. Nijman is the favourite, which comes as no surprise. Evans is the 2nd favourite. Once again, no value in either of these two guys unless you're willing to brave the full sweep. I'm happy to rule out Barney again and Edhouse. Edhouse needs to show me he can double before I look at him.

That leaves me with Scott Mitchell, who I think is a nice price to cause trouble to the big 2. He isn't playing as well as he used to but he did win an event back in late Jan. 

1.5pts S.Mitchell to win Day 2 (evening) 4/1 bet365

Jenkins does what he does best. Get in a winning position and lose. All he had to do was win against Monk or even lose 5-4 but sure enough he gets thrashed 5-0 and once again I lose a bet on leg difference. Hence the low stakes. Worst quality of darts today I've seen for a while.

better hopes for the evening matches.

Oh, I thought your bet was Jenkins (+1.5), notanother?

It could have been a better day for me today. I really feel like Jenkins should have won the morning session. Always harder to lose on leg difference. Looking at tomorrow morning, I'm going to go with the favourite for once. I think tomorrow is finally Monks day. He has been very unlucky. It hurt me on day 1, when he found a way to come 2nd with a 92 average. Today he he didn't even win a match until his third match and that's with an average of 96.30. He should be beating the likes of Jenkins, Askew, Collins and Cole.

2pts A.Monk to win Day 3 9/4 betfair 

Modus bets -2pts
darts 2020
+62.5pts

Monk wins the group. Only losing out to a deciding leg in which he also should have won in all fairness.

Looking to tonight and I can't see anything but another Evans win. The guy is just playing awesome right now and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw another 4 in a row from him, tonight. I can only see Nijman being able to cope with his scoring. Based on that the fact the bookies are offering such skinny odds on Evans, I'll side with the clean sweep on this.

1.5pts D.Evans to win all four of his matches (evening)  5/1 betfair

Modus bets +2.5pts
darts 2020 +67pts

Wessel Nijman wins all four of his matches to top the group, for today. Annoyingly, the match schedule all got moved around and the key match of the day (Nijman Vs Evans) was all of a sudden Evans first match of the day (Nijman's second). Nevertheless, Evans should have won. 3-1 up and threw it away to lose 5-4. From there, from the betting perspective atleast it really didn't matter. 

Yesterday afternoon was won by Monk. Monk topped the group with 3 wins out of 4 after initially losing out to a deciding leg to Askew. He won by far superior leg difference to 2nd (ironically Askew.) Jenkins and Cole came 3rd with 2pts and Collins lost all 4.

I think Askew's price is too big. He got 4 180s in that shock 5-0 loss to Cole. It was his lowest average of the day and was still above 90. His 3 averages after that match was 92.12, 98.78 & 97.44. Add the fact he beat Monk and I think 11/4 is value. I also think Jarred Cole at double digits is abit mad. Again, every match he played in was above 90 and there are signs he is growing into the competition. Something you need to do here.

2pts J.Askew to win Day 4 11/4 paddypower 
1pt J.Cole to win Day 4 12/1 coral
0.5pts J.Cole to win all four of his matches 66/1 betfair

Modus bets +1pt
darts 2020 +65.5pts

Ofcourse!. Ofcourse! 3 wins in a row for Askew. loses to the player who has lost every game. Collins turns up with a 105 average and then Nicholson nicks it on leg difference. Absolutely fuming. Yet somehow not surprised in the slightest.

Really hard to get any consistency in betting with these events. Players go from MVG to Clowns. Just the one for tonight Probably win 3 in a row then lose the last and lose on leg difference for the third time in a week.

1.5pts S.Mitchell to win Day 4 (evening) 4/1 888sport
0.5pts S.Mitchell to win all four matches 9/1 betfair 

yeah, he was awful today. I feel so hard done by this morning with Askew. My only bet for the morning group will be taking Askew to win all 4 matches. I'm not sure I can trust anybody in the group to be consistent and prices are short of any value. Cole and Collins are both big prices, but just can't string anything together consistently.

1pt J.Askew to win all four matches 11/2 paddypower

Modus bets -4.5ptss
darts 2020 +60pts

The evening group has last nights winner, Wessel Nijman missing today, whilst David Evans comes back into the fray following a rest day. Evans is 8pts away from Nijman and so if he was to win every match tonight, they would again be level on points. Either way Evans will close the gap tonight. Mitchell and Adams are only a couple more wins away from the pack.

On the whole, when I look at potential group winners tonight, I'm going to rule out Barney, Edhouse and Scott Mitchell. Barney lost all four of his matches last night with one of those matches scoring an average of just 66. Edhouse has lost 12 out of his 16 matches, so for him to get 3 wins on any day looks unlikely. Scott Mitchell is just too hot and cold with his scoring. I've lost patience.

Evans is obviously the favourite tonight, and a worthy one, but I like the value on Wolfie. Wolfie won 3 out of 4 yesterday and only lost to Wessel Nijman (who isn't here tonight). He isn't a huge scorer but the rest are really having issues with doubles. On the whole if you took out Nijman and Evans, Wolfie has only lost to Scott Mitchell ( 80 avg) once. Wolfies first match is against the returning David Evans too, Evans is returning after a day off. Even if Evans comes out the blocks well, I can't see that being a slaughter (Lost 5-4 and 5-3 to Evans last few days) and we've seen alot of players winning the group on 3pts. 

I'll also, as maybe a saver some would say, take Evans to come here and win all four. The others in reality are way below the standard Evans has set this couple of weeks and without Nijman, every chance.

2.5pts D.Evans to win all four matches 9/5 betfair
1pt M.Adams to win Day 5 (evening) 13/2 paddypower

Another poor betting day. Tomorrow is the last day of this group. Annoyingly a player I backed a few days ago, Cole wins the group. Despite this, he still comes into this as a big outsider and that is enough for me to give him another crack at the group win. 

Askew leads the table by 6pts so it's very likely he will win this event. He is driving me crazy with his darts right now though. Whenever I back him he finds a way to lose on leg difference or loses to the worst player. I'll just back Cole to win the day and hope I can get abit of luck my way 

1.5pts J.Cole to win Day 6 8/1 bet365

Modus bets -9pts
Darts 2020 +55.5pts

Tomorrow sees the return of the Modus League, fresh with a few new players. Paul Nicholson and Andy Jenkins return. Here's the line-up for Day 1 :

P. Nicholson
A. Jenkins
D. Portela
A. Huckvale
J. Hubbard
A. Monk (day off)

We've seen plenty of Nicholson and Jenkins. The three newbies are Diogo Portela, Adam Huckvale and James Hubbard. Portela is ranked 206th and hasn't really done anything since making the last 96 in the worlds. He went out 3-0 in that. I think I can rule him out for tomorrow. Next up is Adam Huckvale. Ranked 280th. He got to the final of a Challenge Tour in January, ironically losing out to Robert Collins, who we saw last week. Collins didn't really perform but I think Huckvale may be one to watch tomorrow. Finally James Hubbard, He was ranked just outside the top 50 back in 2013 but currently sits outside the top 500. He has no results to speak of and unless the "home setup" settles him, I can't see much happening there.

Nicholson faces Jenkins in the first match and has a 3 out of 4 win rate between the two. They have similar averages last week but Jenkins end of week got better and has a few 92 average days Friday and Saturday. The two I like are Jenkins and Huckvale. I also like Huckvale to beat Portela in the match market. Huckvale has played Portela 4 times and beat him in every match, so not really sure why he is not the favourite. 

4pts A. Huckvale to beat D. Portela evens paddypower
2pts A. Jenkins to win Day 1 5/2 paddypower
1pt A. Huckvale to win Day 1 4/1 paddypower

Sure enough from Jenkins being something like 300 up on the final leg and losing 5-4 missing 6 darts and Huckvale being 4-1 up and losing 5-4 i'm supremely confident that I have zero luck at the moment. One of the worst mornings of darts, quality wise that I've seen in this Modus darts league. Perhaps all the good players have gone to the evening shift.

Speaking of that, the guy that has moved over is who I'll be taking tonight. Jason Askew will face up against David Evans, Wessel Nijman, Wolfie and Boris Koltsov tonight in what is easiest the hardest group we'll see in this Modus league from now until May's finish, I'm sure.

I'm going to take Askew. The 9/2 on offer is a big price in my opinion as it does seem like Evans and Nijman have been tailing off alittle. Koltsov will be an interesting one and maybe one to keep an eye on.

2pts J.Askew to win Day 1 (Evening) 9/2 william hill