** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Wednesday April 1st

Good luck to all players this month especially those slogging away at the Naps competition.  I feel that I am better served by carrying out research on my betting methods than struggling to find winners with scant information available on the international scene.

My latest idea is to "lay" horses in handicaps with 10 or more runners in the price ranges of 4/1 to 9/1 (4/1 = about a 20% chance of winning a race or put it another way 80% chance of losing a race)

Another possibility is to back short priced favourites using 3 selections at around evens.  I propose placing all winnings on to the second selection should the first one win and then removing my original stake and placing all the rest on the third selection.  This is an interesting strategy for me to test.

I can't really do any of this at the moment and will have to wait until racing proper resumes.

After the first 3 races at Sha Tin one thing seems to be apparent .... horses are going off at much bigger odds than they were on the English bookies early prices last night

As I was doing my selections last night I just jotted down all horses in single figure odds to try and cut down the fields

General Trump (12.15) was single figure odds last night - Won 33/1

Hidden Spirit (my selection 1.15) was 7/2 last night - Won 12/1

My selections in the first 3 races all went off at bigger odds than they were with Wm Hill last night

Might be best to stick to SP rather than take English bookie prices - particularly as there's no BOG

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

General Trump (12.15) was single figure odds last night - Won 33/1

Hidden Spirit (my selection 1.15) was 7/2 last night - Won 12/1

This is a bit confusing .... 

Those two winning prices are shown on the Sporting Life Fast Results page

The Racing Post has General Trump at 31/4 (just under 8/1) and Hidden Spirit at 41/10 (just over 4/1)

That's a huge difference !

I'm guessing the big odds are based on HK Tote prices ? ...... and the small odds are the UK Bookies SPs

But I'm really not sure what is what with this ......... as I said, very confusing !

In my post the other day re: Hong Kong racing, typically best prices are paid via the Aussie tote system, which can can be accessed by one online UK company that I know off.

Hope this helps and set your alarms early Sunday, theres a better meeting than todays back on the turf...

Hopefully, the TV will not be polluted by UK pundits..?

56 minutes ago, Land Afar said:

In my post the other day re: Hong Kong racing, typically best prices are paid via the Aussie tote system, which can can be accessed by one online UK company that I know off.

Hope this helps and set your alarms early Sunday, theres a better meeting than todays back on the turf...

Hopefully, the TV will not be polluted by UK pundits..?

I'm not interested in backing them, just marking them down for the Naps competition?

I know what you mean though:ok

Good card Sunday I hear?

24 minutes ago, BillyHills said:

I'm not interested in backing them, just marking them down for the Naps competition?

I know what you mean though:ok

Good card Sunday I hear?

Sorry, misunderstood ..my apologies..

Far better Sunday, Aethero is a class sprinter slightly odds on at present in the sprint cup on the biases of a bad run last time out. on the day it will be interesting to see if the late money in HK goes for him.  Waikaku is also a class act, possible nice double, but Beauty generation was the top horse in HK last year but has not hit form this season, should be a good race in the Chairman's Trophy...as I always say I dont tip...but for some reason I do fancy Fat Turtle for a place, tends to set the pace. Last week in the HK Derby a front running  80/1 shot only just done on the line..very tactical at times there. Thus the finishes are amazing..

Has anyone considered a temporary dedicated thread for HK racing? Im sure after all this it will become very popular as a betting proposition, mainly due to its UK heritage and honesty..

Edited by Land Afar
my bad spelling