StevieDay1983

Should This Season Be Scrapped?

It's the hot talking point in football at the moment. How does football deal with the suspension caused by the coronavirus? The main initial options being proposed are...

- Cancel this season and re-start next season from August.

- Extend this season into the summer in order to finish the campaign.

- Postpone games until August and just have this season merge into next season.

Now, I'm sure other suggestions have been put out there so feel free to share your own if you've heard them or come up with them. Personally, I feel finishing this season has to happen. Otherwise it would really tarnish the sport. Yes, I get people saying just call this season to an early end and give Liverpool the title but there's more to it than that. Liverpool don't want it given to them with an asterix forever by the name. Then there's the issues of European qualification and relegation.

My feeling is no matter how long it takes this season must be finished. Even if next season is reduced or the structure is changed for one season in order to catch up. I'm glad that the EFL has unanimously agreed to finish this season no matter what and I hope the Premier League follows suit.

What would you all like to see?

They have to play the season out for everyone, as and when all this pandemic blows over. They'll be legal cases galore otherwise and it's not fair to do it on average points, which was my original suggestion.

Don't forget Qatar World Cup 2022 starts in November too, so pushing everything back shouldn't really be a problem.

Yeah, I have a mate who works at FIFA and he said the main sticking point right now is contracts. The majority of individuals are happy to just extend contracts from their usual expiry date to whenever the season ends but, of course, there are some selfish individuals that are causing problems. It's a knock-on effect. These players I suppose have house contracts and their family have job contracts that might expire at the same time and can't be moved. I understand that but I feel these are extraordinary times and a bit of flexibility is needed from everyone to ensure the damage is limited. I think failing to finish this season could cause irreparable damage to football so this season must be concluded at all costs. Even if that means playing the final games behind closed doors or in front of smaller crowds.