** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

MLS Predictions > Mar 7th - 9th

StevieDay1983

mlsodds.jpg

The 2020 MLS season started last weekend. I wasn't sure if I'd have time to cover this at any great length but I thought I'll put up the weekly odds and if there's enough interest garnered then we'll look at doing some previews or more in-depth coverage as the season goes on. Let us know if any of you are betting on the games coming up this weekend. :ok

@jazzman02, @Xcout, @Dellpierro, @Magic0024, @betcatalog, @dylanphan, @vasilli07, and @BruMac, you were just a few that have been active in here previously. Any interest in MLS these days? I like the addition of the expansion franchises in Inter Miami and Nashville. Feel a bigger competition will be a better competition.

• 2 weeks later...

On its 25th season, the MLS is focused on continue its growth and elevating the quality of their product, as the league level is not where they want to be.

The MLS, single entity in which each teams are owned by the league and individually operated by the league's investors and in which the revenue is shared, key point that has lead to the creation of the Designated Player (DP) to bring the best youth and consolidated talent to the league and push further growth. It is a different way to organize football:

No promotion/relegation, a draft for upcoming talent, an expansion draft (for upcoming teams to gather talent from teams in the league), homegrown funds, teams required affiliation to USL teams or field own reserve side in the USL, same salary cap for all teams (with exceptions as DP rules, allocation money, etc), divided by eastern and western conference, more than two matches per season against some teams, meanwhile against other only one match per season.

The valuation of the league is on the rise, recently huge sums have been paid to have new expansion sides, yet the real financials are not know, but the league acknowledges that the majority of its clubs do not turn a profit. A recently agreed CBA provides stability and gains for the players. One of the added benefits of the league to lure talent is the life in the United States can be calm and safe compared to many other places, many players that have left Liga MX for MLS have stated this. MLS has worked correctly in regards of playing in smaller soccer-specific stadiums, closely located to the community and to foster connection with their communities to generate loyal fan bases, as seen with LA FC, Atlanta United, Orlando City, Toronto FC, etc.

Meanwhile the expansion teams are a positive sign for the league, in my opinion it is lowering the quality of the league. One aspect of this can be seen with the offered odds, some are really low, not worth taking the risk. A lot of teams put their money in the offensive side of things and rarely focus on defending, which leads to low odds in certain markets and to the point in which Zlatan Ibrahimovic had no problem to be an dominating star.  A positive aspect is that there are upsets, but with more expansions sides, they will be fewer in this season and the nexts ones.  A fascinating league once you get the hold of it, but the football level leaves a lot to desire, the quality has improved nevertheless, but MLS has still along way to go. Expect more of the five dominating teams from last seasons:  Seattle Sounders, Toronto FC, Atlanta United, Portland Timbers and Los Angeles FC.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:05 AM, StevieDay1983 said:

It's a shame coronavirus has suspended the season for the time being because I was enjoying the first few weeks of the new season. Hopefully, it hits the ground running when things start up again.

The issue is going to be the fitness of the players when that happens.

14 hours ago, Xcout said:

The issue is going to be the fitness of the players when that happens.

Yes, it's all very good players staying fit with their own regimes given to them by the clubs but there is no substitute for match fitness. It's essentially like playing a mini-season from scratch again.