** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Latest Table - March 2020

18 hours ago, BillyHills said:

Mar 2

Hunting season may start early this month?

Well done Pete:clap

A well deserved win from Pete who has won this comp twice before.

Not sure how to play this now; it's a bit chilly on £2.50.  I will go for either selections at around 10/1 or 25/1 plus.  No point in selecting short priced favourites unless one's sole objective is to get into next month's KO cup or just for the greater good of having an excellent strike rate.

Looks like Pete will keep on pushing too. Very best of luck to him and all other contestants.

9 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Not sure how to play this now; it's a bit chilly on £2.50.  I will go for either selections at around 10/1 or 25/1 plus.  No point in selecting short priced favourites unless one's sole objective is to get into next month's KO cup or just for the greater good of having an excellent strike rate.

Looks like Pete will keep on pushing too. Very best of luck to him and all other contestants.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey :cigar

On 3/3/2020 at 1:32 AM, The Equaliser said:

My sole objective is to make a profit, the naps competition is an added bonus to this.

I only put up selections that I am actually betting on. At the moment my main focus is on odds on selections and extra place races. Extra place races are not eligible for this competition so I am left with my odds on selections.

If you really wanted to win the competition then you could probably stick with selections at odds of 66/1. You'd probably win 1 race out of 100 but it would probably give you a good chance of winning the competition once every 3 months or so.

19 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

If you really wanted to win the competition then you could probably stick with selections at odds of 66/1. You'd probably win 1 race out of 100 but it would probably give you a good chance of winning the competition once every 3 months or so.

The above brought back memories and made me chuckle.  (its on a similar principle as below)

Last year the lads from the pub went on a trip to Chester and my sons mate came along and the only thing he knows about horses is they have 4 legs.

On the way he asked me the best chances he had of winning as he had brought 140 (20 per race), I said as he didnt have a clue what to look for his best 2 options were

a) Pick the shortest price fav over even money and lump the lot on giving him around 47% (11/10) chance of profit

b) Or the better option put 20 on the horse nearest to but not under 7/1 in every race  giving him around 60% (4/6) chance of profit (27% better chance of ending up in profit than going for 1 fav).But stop after hitting 1 winner for max profit

He went for b) Lo and behold Sods Law pops up .... his first ever bet in the first race the horse comes in @ 7/1 bang job done & spends the rest of the day drinking with an extra 140 in his pocket.:eyes

On the coach back home he was the only one on the day with any worthwhile profit :\ , I'd had 3 bets, two 2nds and a third so done my dough,my mate had had 1 winner but still well down  and same for my lad. (should have listened to my own advice :eyes )

So there's a lot to be said about just applying the basic math principles to reach your goal. :ok

You couldnt make it up :eek

Just thought Id add this update for todays racing (uk only...price taken just before the off as if at the meeting)

Wincanton 7 races , closest to 7/1 but not lower

2nd race BUCKHORN GEORGE wins 10/1 .......9pts profit

Southwell 7 races , closest to 7/1 but not lower

2nd race SHOOT TO WIN wins 7/1 ..........6pts profit

Carlisle 7 races , closest to 7/1 but not lower

1st race ECHO EXPRESS wins 8/1 .....8pts profit

Newcastle 8 races , closest to 8/1 but not lower

6th race PERUVIAN SUMMER wins 9/1 ...3pts profit due to PEARL SPECTRE also being a bet  @ 9/1

So a full house of uk meetings on the day :clap

Edited by Valiant Thor

On 3/3/2020 at 1:32 AM, The Equaliser said:

First of all 

Well done to anybody that picks a winner at 25\1 or above.

Have to agree with you @The Equaliser when I see a big price winner my thoughts turn to the KO Cup.

In the KO Cup you rarely see selections in double figure odds.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:41 PM, MCLARKE said:

I only put up selections that I am actually betting on. At the moment my main focus is on odds on selections and extra place races. Extra place races are not eligible for this competition so I am left with my odds on selections.

@MCLARKE even if you picked 2\1 shots and picked 29 winners last month you would have had a profit of £58 and not won the trophy.

Maybe we could come up with something that big price winners and number of winners are both accountable.

Possibility of all your winners in the month are counted as an accumulator and deduct the number of losers you have to give you P/L, just an idea.

A few years ago there was a prize for the most winners in the month and people used turn to that once there was a big price winner

Edited by Xtc12
Spelling Errors

7 hours ago, Xtc12 said:

A few years ago there was a prize for the most winners in the month and people used turn to that once there was a big price winner

Thy problem with that was we had two or three people just picking 1/6 shots everyday, do we really want that, does it really add anything to the pot??

I think its a great achievement to pick a 25/1 winner never mind have it as your number 1 bet of the day. Fair play to them.
We could look at changing the prize structure, i'll have a think guys..we could have a prize that involves Profit and performance for sure.:ok

On 2/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, BillyHills said:

Feb 18

Massive day for Kenisbusy, he bags his first winner since September 2nd to end a losing run of 124 bets ?

15 hours ago, BillyHills said:

I think its a great achievement to pick a 25/1 winner

You have to Kiss a lot of ? ?

;)

Edited by Valiant Thor