** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Clips From Days Gone By

MrJol

Was just searching my name on youtube for horses when I came across I'M A DRIVER (Driver being my surname).

Two other Horses I'm sure the older punters on here will remember are in the race also, Night Nurse and Western Rose.

Feel free to post any other clips you may have or like, I've got clips of my biggest odds winner and my best ever Derby winner.

This one was my best ever Derby year, backed this first time out and it won easily. Can't remember whether I got it at 33/1 after or before that race, but I backed it all the way to Derby day. Won a few quid that year lol

14 minutes ago, Ryanpete said:

Good to watch some old footage! Well before my time i was born 1990. My biggest odds single win was bluesea cracker in the irish national 2010. 40/1 although im sure it got backed to 30/1 before the off. 

Just for you lol

I was watching RTV the other night and they were doing 'favourite Cheltenham memories' to fill time between races and none of them mentionned Desert Orchid winning the Gold Cup !

'Dessie' was the most popular horse in training but it was widely thought that he couldn't win a Gold Cup as he was better on right handed tracks and hasd been champion two miler ...... the King George was his race. 

Here's the race finish ........ he had to fight !

That 

55 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I was watching RTV the other night and they were doing 'favourite Cheltenham memories' to fill time between races and none of them mentionned Desert Orchid winning the Gold Cup !

'Dessie' was the most popular horse in training but it was widely thought that he couldn't win a Gold Cup as he was better on right handed tracks and hasd been champion two miler ...... the King George was his race. 

Here's the race finish ........ he had to fight !

This was going to be one of my next vids, everyone loved Dessie didn't they?

12 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Not when he beat Wayward Lad in 86! I had a bit of an issue with gambling in those days and lost more than I could afford. Drowned my sorrows in the pub afterwards but at least picked up a decent chick (apologies if not PC) so not all bad news.

I think you will find that was Dawn Run who won in 86.

Edited by MrJol

^^^^

that was brilliant

I think I backed Mark of Esteem on that day....... but the memory is a bit vague!

One of my favourites on the Flat ..... Arazi for France winning the Breeders Cup Juvenile in 1991. It was spectacular because a European horse had never won a Dirt race at the Breeders Cup and he was drawn 14/14, thought to be an impossible stall.........but even more so the style of the victory. Settled in last place he starting moving forward with about 4 furlongs to go and cut through the field like the proverbial hot knife through butter and won going away with daylight back to the rest.

12 hours ago, MrJol said:

I think you will find that was Dawn Run who won in 86.

It was the King George I was referring to, Dessie won at 16/1 with Wayward Lad out with the washing. My system was recovery staking on 2nd favourites, how naïve I was !

Edited by MCLARKE

Dawn Run wins the 1986 Gold Cup to become the only horse to win the Champion Hurdle and the Gold Cup ....... and one of the few mares to win either race

here's the last few furlongs ....... terrifically exciting finish and watch to the end for some amazing crowd scenes !

• 2 weeks later...