** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Hunter Chase - 5.00 Haydock

Darran

I must admit I didn't think Haydock would go ahead and with the wind due to be at its strongest this afternoon I do wonder if the Walrus will still be run, but at this stage racing goes ahead.

Only 4 runners this year, but it is still a classy renewal with the front 3 in the betting all top horses. Acala was put in as favourite when betting started, but he has been a massive drifter as Wishing And Hoping has been well backed. Given he jumped out to his left at Taunton going this way round should help Wishing And Hoping. He should guarantee a decent pace given he is a front runner and that could be the best place to be in this ground although he wont get much shelter from the wind depending on what direction it is going. The Taunton form hasn't really been tested yet as the 3rd home disappointed next time, but is a very in and out horse anyway.

There is little doubt in my mind that Acala would have won at Ludlow had he stood up. That race has taken some big knocks form wise though, but it isn't the biggest surprise given they went a very slow gallop. As they wanted to get him qualified for Cheltenham I would imagine they wanted him to have as easy a race as possible so I think chances are he is better than the form suggests. The Racing Post Spotlight writer has doubts he will handle heavy ground, but he has won on heavy ground so I am not sure why he has said that. The bigger question is if he wants to go this far in this ground which I would have my doubts about.

The Dellercheckout impressed me at Ludlow as he won very easy and was value for a bigger margin. He stays well based on his 3 wins this season as he has been doing his best work at the finish which could be crucial here. This is stronger than the Ludlow race and Haymount didn't do much for the form of his win the time before yesterday, but then I don't think Fakenham suited Haymount as he would have wanted more of a stamina test.

Anyone of the 3 wouldn't surprise if they won. I would have Wishing And Hoping as favourite so it is no surprise the market has made him favourite after the opening show. I think he is the right sort of price now and as much as being out in front would usually be an advantage if there is a head wind either down the back or the home straight then out in front might not be the place to be. Acala certainly has a chance as well although I am not sure he wants a slug fest so I am going to go for The Dellercheckout. I was impressed by his Ludlow win and he looks a very progressive horse. He would have to step up a bit on that effort on paper, but as I say I think he was value for bigger than the winning margin. He stays well will be held up to make his challenge late. At 100/30 I think he rates the best value in the race.

The Dellercheckout 1pt @ 100/30 with William Hill

What an amazing price! Alcala was put in at 5/4 in the RP Betting Forecast! Top trainer, very good amateur rider in Angus Cheleda, and miles toprated horse in the RP at 151 against 143 for Wishing And Hoping and 131 for Thedellercheckout. Just goes to show the truth in what professional punter/bookie Mark Hill said in his excellent recent three part interview with Simon Nott for #Betting People. He said "The Price Is Everything! " and the Hunter Chase at Haydock today proves this perfectly! I backed both Alcala and Thedellercheckout at 3/1 BOG with Lads so I was very pleased with Alcala winning at 4/1 SP. Thedellercheckout was very disappointing, beaten a distance by the first two. 

17 minutes ago, David Stephenson said:

What an amazing price! Alcala was put in at 5/4 in the RP Betting Forecast! Top trainer, very good amateur rider in Angus Cheleda, and miles toprated horse in the RP at 151 against 143 for Wishing And Hoping and 131 for Thedellercheckout. Just goes to show the truth in what professional punter/bookie Mark Hill said in his excellent recent three part interview with Simon Nott for #Betting People. He said "The Price Is Everything! " and the Hunter Chase at Haydock today proves this perfectly! I backed both Alcala and Thedellercheckout at 3/1 BOG with Lads so I was very pleased with Alcala winning at 4/1 SP. Thedellercheckout was very disappointing, beaten a distance by the first two. 

Yeah should never have been a 4/1 chance and was a very good winner. Thedellercheckout didn't seem to enjoy it at all today and who can blame him in this weather. I am sure he is better than that.