** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - February 17 - February 23

Elena Rybakina to beat Petra Martic at 1.71 with Parions Sport

It will be the 1st meeting between these 2 players. Despite the fact that Martic is playing pretty well in this tournament, I don't see how she can beat Rybakina here. Indeed, the Kazakh is on fire since the beginning of the year and could already reach her 4th final of 2020. Neither the defeat against Bertens for the title in Saint Petersburg, nor the accumulated tiredness seem to disturb the young prodigy in Dubai . She eliminated Kenin, Siniakova then Pliskova by losing only 1 set against the American during her 1st match. I watched her match against the Czech 2nd seed, she seemed very serene and sure of her tennis despite her young age. I was very pleased with the composure she showed to save 9 break points. She is solid in difficult moments and knows how to show her best moves to get by, thanks in particular to her powerful serve which continues to improve over the tournament, 80% of success on her 1st serve and 11 aces against Pliskova.

DELRAY BEACH ATP

Ugo Humbert to beat Frances Tiafoe at 1,80 Bet365

Humbert had a great match against Kecmanovic winning in straight sets. The frenchman started this year as good as he wanted winning the Auckland ATP by beating Shapovalov Isner and Benoit Paire in the final. So he is in a great form and playing really well, and thats what you cant say about Tiafoe. Unfortunately He won yesterday but it wasnt a miracle because Tommy Paul wasnt playing well. I dont think that Frances can lower the amount of his unforced errors and that could end his tournament here. Tiafoe is not as good as Humbert at the moment. If the american cant improve his game this could be an easy match for Humbert. I like the odds here and i have to go with him. 

So Ugo Humbert to win @ 1,80

Gilles Simon to beat Daniil Medvedev (Correct result 2-1) at 10.00 with Unibet
You gotta be stupid not to try this bet. If you have some minor stake somewhere to place at this I recommend it. Why recommend this longshot? Well it's not a longshot really because Gilles has beaten Daniil twice in 3 sets both times. Once in Lyon 2017 on clay and last time in London / Queen's club on grass last summer. Judging by the way Gilles has been playing this week I think he'll be a hell of a task to complete in beating him in Marseille.

Brandon Nakashima to beat Yoshito Nishioka at 2.45 with Parions Sport

This 2 players never faced each other before. Nakashima surprised everyone the day before yesterday by beating Norrie in 2 sets (7-5 / 6-2). The young American talent plays without pressure in front of his audience and it shows in tennis. Nishioka is not an opponent to underestimated , on the contrary, but I expect him to suffer enormously from American's firepower then abdicate at the end.

Edited by FrenchPunter

Pulling the trigger on this double:

Brandon Nakashima to beat Yoshihito Nishioka at 2.45 with Unibet

@FrenchPunter have already pointed out Brandons chance of winning in Delray Beach and I'm just following that.

and...

Felix Auger Aliassime to beat (-1.5 sets) Egor Gerasimov at 2.50 with Unibet

Class difference in this match. Felix is superb and heavily armed with plenty of more talent than Egor ever will have. They have met once and it was in Tashkent semifinal 2018 on the challenger tour and Felix won that match 6-4 7-6. Enough for me to pull the trigger on this one.

5 hours ago, four-leaf said:

Gilles Simon to beat Daniil Medvedev (Correct result 2-1) at 10.00 with Unibet
You gotta be stupid not to try this bet. If you have some minor stake somewhere to place at this I recommend it. Why recommend this longshot? Well it's not a longshot really because Gilles has beaten Daniil twice in 3 sets both times. Once in Lyon 2017 on clay and last time in London / Queen's club on grass last summer. Judging by the way Gilles has been playing this week I think he'll be a hell of a task to complete in beating him in Marseille.

Well done Gilles but a bit too well done maybe or ofcourse I should have just not been so greedy and only taken Gilles to win straigt up.

Edited by four-leaf

I didn't see it but at a guess I'd say Medvedev threw some sort of strop and stopped trying. No way he gets a bagel from Simon if he's trying. I think it's like @four-leaf alluded to - there's something about Simon's game that gets under Medvedev's skin and that's reflected in the h2h. Possibly it's the fact that Medvedev goes for his shots whereas Simon is more conservative. I watched them play each other on the grass last summer when Simon won and it honestly looked as though Medvedev got thoroughly fed up of Simon's pushing style and just checked out of the match. Medvedev's body language almost seemed to say that he knew he was going to lose, but losing to a pusher when he was going for his shots meant that he still considered himself the winner - if that makes any sense. That's nonsense of course - there are different ways to win a tennis match and none of them are wrong. The challenge is to meet the different styles head-on and do your best to get the win no matter what. That's something Medvedev hasn't mastered yet - something I mentioned on here during the Tour Finals - and I really hope he eventually gets there because he will waste his talent if he doesn't.

Edited by Torque

10pts Elena Rybakina to beat Simona Halep @ 3.20 Bet365

As has been mentioned, Rybakina has started the season in great form. In her run to this title match, she's beaten the likes of AO winner Kenin and Karolina Pliskova so she's got to be full of confidence plus the momentum that lots of wins brings. Halep has looked better and better with each match here and will present a formidable challenge, but the nature of WTA tennis is that any of the top players can beat any of the other top players and so I'm happier backing Rybakina at the prices.

Reilly Opelka to beat Milos Raonic @2.62 bet365

I think 2.62 is very generous for any match where two big hitters are facing each other so I'm gonna take it and say thanks to the bookmakers

Ugo Humbert to beat Y. Nishioka @1.72 bet365

The French fella is superior to his opponent on almost every aspect of the game. He's also significantly taller and heavier than Nishioka. I think he has the upper hand on this encounter regardless of how good the Japanese might be on the other side of the court. I like Ugo's chances here. 

Good luck. ? 

14 hours ago, Torque said:

I didn't see it but at a guess I'd say Medvedev threw some sort of strop and stopped trying. No way he gets a bagel from Simon if he's trying. I think it's like @four-leaf alluded to - there's something about Simon's game that gets under Medvedev's skin and that's reflected in the h2h. Possibly it's the fact that Medvedev goes for his shots whereas Simon is more conservative. I watched them play each other on the grass last summer when Simon won and it honestly looked as though Medvedev got thoroughly fed up of Simon's pushing style and just checked out of the match. Medvedev's body language almost seemed to say that he knew he was going to lose, but losing to a pusher when he was going for his shots meant that he still considered himself the winner - if that makes any sense. That's nonsense of course - there are different ways to win a tennis match and none of them are wrong. The challenge is to meet the different styles head-on and do your best to get the win no matter what. That's something Medvedev hasn't mastered yet - something I mentioned on here during the Tour Finals - and I really hope he eventually gets there because he will waste his talent if he doesn't.

wont be surprised if medvedev and zverev both are thrown out of the top 10 soon. in any case this has been a crazy year for betting so far

Edited by bet4fun

rybakina to beat halep @2.90 with betway

given halep's concern in dealing with finals. atleast twice i remember she lost. one against wozniaki and one against kiki, i don't think she wins the finals comfortably. you can say she won against serena but serena has choked in all the finals she has played in past 2 years. nevertheless there wont be a player like serena again. coming back to this match. rybakina has player far difficult players than halep and surely deserves to be a top 10 player

@Betfun, In my opinion, tennis is all about how a player matches up against another which will most times have nothing to do with form or talent. Trust me Medvedev was trying very hard. I think Simons game is somewhat of a downgraded version of Murray’s brick wall tennis when he is firing on all cylinders. One of the main hindrances to Aliassime’s game is court craft especially with his inconsistent ball placement during rallies. He can sometimes lose the advantage when he is on top in a rally by some real bad shot selections. Simon will like a young feisty opponent like him and should hopefully outfox the young Canadian and be in the final tomorrow. Simon to win here for me.

8 minutes ago, liquidglass said:

@Betfun, In my opinion, tennis is all about how a player matches up against another which will most times have nothing to do with form or talent. Trust me Medvedev was trying very hard. I think Simons game is somewhat of a downgraded version of Murray’s brick wall tennis when he is firing on all cylinders. One of the main hindrances to Aliassime’s game is court craft especially with his inconsistent ball placement during rallies. He can sometimes lose the advantage when he is on top in a rally by some real bad shot selections. Simon will like a young feisty opponent like him and should hopefully outfox the young Canadian and be in the final tomorrow. Simon to win here for me.

i am talking abt the dubai finals here. i think you misquoted me for someone else

51 minutes ago, liquidglass said:

Did you see it @liquidglass was Medvedev trying? It's hard to believe he couldn't win a single game in that second set but if I'm wrong and he was trying then fair enough.

Medvedev looked fed up just before the end of the first set. After that it was like he just expected Simon to return everything and he slowly died out.

halep - rybakina on the other side. What a match!

Night and day with the match against bertens - although halep May be a better matchup for her.

will be siding with rybakina A lot in the future weeks !

Yeah just came to state here what a great final it was in Dubai. A bit heartbroken Rybakina (and not just because I bet on her) -- she played so bloody well for a 20-year-old against probably the best "fighter" on tour at the moment. Some completely amazing shots and huge "big match temperament" shown by Rybakina to take the 3rd set to a TB. This young lady is definitely going to be a future grand slam winner. What an absolute star!

I got Tsitsipas and Simon-Felix over 22,5 games, for tonight ill have one more bet on Ugo Humbert to win 1,66 Bet365

Just like yesterday another easy win coming for Humbert. He is way more talented than Nishioka. Nishioka should have gone home yesterday but the american collapsed after the second set. Humbert will destroy him.

so Humbert to win at 1,66 Bet365

found this about roger federer. looks like he will never be top 3 again

The Swiss champion will have to skip Dubai where he won last year, Indian Wells where he reached the final, Miami where he won, Madrid where he made the quarterfinals, Rome where he came to the quarterfinals and Roland Garros where he reached the semifinals.

3180 points that will go away. He will return to the grass with just under 4000 points, so probably around the number 7 or 8. The Olympic tournament will begin on July 25th. The last one for Federer. An important tournament where Roger will look for the gold medal he has never won.

WTA Doha 
Jelena Ostapenko - Jil Teichmann [email protected] pinnacle /flat 10u/

Just shortly, no time.   Teichmann improved on hard as I wrote, but it is enough only on weaker players. Ostapenko is dangerous on hard. She continues in solid game after great finish of last season. Won for example over Kenin in Fed Cup on hardcourt. She will be too much for Teichmann, who is despite improvements bellow average player on faster surfaces. 

WTA Doha
Kristina Mladenovic - Veronika Kudermetova [email protected] pinnacle /flat 10u/

Both players improved lately, but there is much bigger step up in Kudermetovas game.  She won vs Yastremska in Dubai and gave really hard time to Muguruza, while Mladenovic made just three games with Pliskova, who wasnt at her best there. Veronika doesnt like defensive minded players, but Mladenovic is not that kind of player. I think Kudermetova will be better from the baseline, with less errors and that will be the key for the victory.