Sign in to follow this  
Fader

The Masters

A nice juicy "big" event gets started on Sunday. The Masters! No Ronnie in this event, which always makes the tournament look alittle bare. It's quite an open event at Ally Pally. Here's the full draw :

J.Trump Vs S.Murphy
D.Junhui Vs J.Perry
M.Selby Vs A.Carter
J.Higgins Vs B.Hawkins
N.Robertson Vs S.Maguire
M.Allen Vs D.Gilbert
K.Wilson Vs J.Lisowski
M.Williams Vs S.Bingham

The top half looks harder to get through in my opinion. There are quite a few "out-of-form" players in the tournament. Players like Kyren Wilson, Mark Allen, Gilbert to an extent are all players in the bottom half and so it's quite open down there. This tournament tends to be the "cream of the crop" and so historically it's won by an "Elite" player. Well, when Ronnie is in town atleast.

I'm going for two and from the top ofcourse the favourite Judd Trump goes into this bang in form. Just won a Championship League event and ofcourse winner here last year. I can't take that price though. I don't like favourites. I'm taking Higgins. I think he beats Hawkins (who has a poor record here apart from 2016 when he lost in the final to Ronnie.) and then would face Selby who is often hit or miss here. Too often, Selby either wins this event or goes out early. Higgins also has won 6 of the last 7 between the two. Ofcourse, Trump wont be easy but I think it's the better value for me.

In the bottom half i like Robertson but come on 4/1? no thank you. It's actually really hard to find any value down there because so many players are just playing rubbish. In my eyes it's Robertson/Allen Vs K.Wilson/Williams. Robertson has a really good record here against Allen and Kyren Wilson looks horrible to me right now and so purely for value, it's Williams. I think at 25/1 I'm going to give him a try. His form is poor. Very poor. But he is a player who will win if he's in the right spot. Small stakes ofcourse.

1.5pts E/W J.Higgins to win The Masters 14/1 888sport
0.75pts E.W M.Williams to win The Masters 25/1 betfair

On 1/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, Fader said:

J.Trump Vs S.Murphy
D.Junhui Vs J.Perry
M.Selby Vs A.Carter
J.Higgins Vs B.Hawkins
N.Robertson Vs S.Maguire
M.Allen Vs D.Gilbert
K.Wilson Vs J.Lisowski
M.Williams Vs S.Bingham

My picks:

J.Trump

D.Junhui

M.Selby

B.Hawkins

N.Robertson

D.Gilbert

K.Wilson

M.Williams

Highest break in the tournament: D.Gilbert or M.Allen or B.Hawkins 

Selby and Ding out already. Not too suprised with the history of the two in this competition. Allen Vs Gilbert should be a close match tonight. Allen looks abit out of form at the moment after being beat 6-0 by Lu Ning and losing to the likes of Gerard Greene. It's a tough one because Allen does tend to raise his game for big events but then Gilbert will want to impress here. I'm tempted by Gilbert.

4pts D.Gilbert to beat M.Allen 6/4 paddypower

Higgins wins with ease and infact the first "favourite" to win of the tournament. That's just crazy and just shows it doesn't pay to back short favourites in my opinion. Pre-tournament pick Higgins nips that in the bud with alittle help from the woeful Barry Hawkins. Tomorrow the out-of-form Kyren Wilson will take on Jack Lisowski. I'm going to take the outsider once again here. I think if you looked at both players, you would have to say that Lisowski is in the better form and although it tends to be abit different in the bigger events, form does tend to carry over (see Allens performance) 

My only worry for this bet is, I find that Lisowski has little, well...bottle and if it gets around the 4-4, 5-5 mark, I would probably expect him to lose. With that being said, Lisowski leads the head-2-heads and can boast that form at the Scottish Open where he beat Higgins, Un-Nooh and Mark Allen and lost in the final to Mark Selby.

All that being said, I'm going to take Lisowski to be "highest break" I think he's hitting the balls very well here and I don't want to lose a bet on some lack of bottle. Lisowski has been hitting plenty of centuries recently. 119 in his defeat to White. 123 against Vafaei. The final of the Scottish open he got highest break at 119. A 135 and 118 against Allen.. etc etc etc. In 2020, Kyren Wilson (although improved recently) always strikes me as a 70-90 break type of player. 

3pts J.Lisowski (Highest break scorer) Vs K.Wilson evens bet365

Masters tips  +10pts
Snooker tips 2020  +5pts

somehow Lisowski was highest break scorer there. 2-0 up and should have been 3-1 and then that old "bottle" took over and he loses 6 in a row. Classic Lisowski. Still 72 the highest break, so that's all good.

Masters tips  +13pts
Snooker tips 2020  +8pts

I didn't see any of Murphy Vs Trump or Perry Vs Ding and so it's hard for me to gauge how well they played. Identical wins and both good wins. Both 6-3 and both scored 3 50+ breaks and no centuries. Add to that, that they havent' played eachother for four years and it's quite hard to pin down an obvious winner. I would lead to Murphy as he is the better player and better scorer and he also leads the h2h with ease and tends to always win the imporant matches. No value though and I'm not confident enough to stick him on a handicap. I will instead go on "Highest break scorer" again and side with Murphy. It's by no means a pick with huge confidence but Murphy has been "Highest break scorer" in this tie 4 out of 6 times and you'd have to say that Murphy is the more fluent scorer.

6pts S.Murphy - Highest Break Scorer 4/6 william hill

Masters tips  +11.5pts
Snooker tips 2020  +6.5pts

Murphy goes through with ease really. A nice 120 break in there too. Perry really didn't turn up. Murphy awaits in Semi-final to play the winner of tonights match. John Higgins Vs Ali Carter. Although Carter had a good win against Selby, Selby is abit of an enigma and like I said on the preview of the tournament, you'll see him out in round 1 or win the event. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground there.

That being said, and the fact that Higgins has such a strong h2h record against Carter, it's a no-bet for me tonight. I have Higgins on the outright which is enough here as he'll much more of a test in the Semi-finals against Murphy.

A couple of very even matches (in the bookies opinion atleast tomorrow) and that bodes a few bets that I'll look at tomorrow morning.

Masters tips  +15.5pts
Snooker tips 2020  +10.5pts

Higgins deserved to go out there. He was woeful. So was Carter to be fair, but alot better than Higgins. Murphy will be pretty relaxed knowing he has Carter to get to a final though. I would love to see Gilbert win this now. He deserves a title. Maybe a Gilbert Vs Murphy final.

I like Gilbert to beat Maguire today but it's the later game that I'm interested in and that is Kyren Wilson to beat Bingham. Wilson has a decent record against Bingham and I thought Bingham was another player that looked pony in the last round. Wilson didn't start well against Lisowski but from 2-0 down he really turned it on and I think he'll be too strong for Bingham.

5.5pts K.Wilson to beat S.Bingham 10/11 ladbrokes
2pt double - K.Wilson (-1.5 frames) & D.Gilbert (-1.5 frames) 4/1 bet365

Masters tips  +12.5pts
Snooker tips 2020  +7.5pts

All left-handers lost their matches (Trump, Hawkins, Robertson, Williams, Lisowski, Allen). Impressive. 

I want Gilbert and Wilson to win today! 

PS. David Gilbert reminds me of Viggo Mortensen. 

Edited by Foo_Fighter

1 hour ago, Foo_Fighter said:

All left-handers lost their matches (Trump, Hawkins, Robertson, Williams, Lisowski, Allen). Impressive. 

I want Gilbert and Wilson to win today! 

PS. David Gilbert reminds me of Viggo Mortensen. 

funny enough Judd is actually right handed (I believe) but plays with his left.

that double would suit me. Would love to see Gilbert win a big title.5-2 Gilbert now. Maguire looking for a king comeback, part 2!

*brilliant stuff from Gilbert. Every mistake Maguire made, he punished. I fancy him against Kyren Wilson/Bingham*

32 minutes ago, Fader said:

funny enough Judd is actually right handed (I believe) but plays with his left.

that double would suit me. Would love to see Gilbert win a big title.5-2 Gilbert now. Maguire looking for a king comeback, part 2!

*brilliant stuff from Gilbert. Every mistake Maguire made, he punished. I fancy him against Kyren Wilson/Bingham*

Since Judd plays with his left, he is considered to be a left handed. 

You probably already know that Gilbert is by far my favorite snooker player to watch after Ronnie. The guy has literally every shot in his arsenal, an impeccable feel... what can I say. I think he's cueing like Ronnie these days. He certainly has flair for what he's doing and deserves to win a big title. 

what a shame for Gilbert. Can't believe Kyren Wilson loses 6-4 from 4-1 up what in the world. final is quite a close one. Carter I would side with normally but Bingham has such a good h2h recent record against Carter it's hard to ignore so it's a no bet for me. Bingham won the last 6 in a row