** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EFL Cup Predictions > Oct 29th & 30th

Liverpool vs Arsenal

The EFL Cup 4th Round offers a couple of fascinating ties and the first of the two big games this coming week is at Anfield when Premier League leaders Liverpool take on top four chasing Arsenal in a 7:30pm GMT this Wednesday night. This particular fixture has dished up its fair share of goals down the years and a 3-1 win for the Reds already this season has shown that hasn't changed this year.

Liverpool are fighting on all fronts this season. The reigning Champions League winners will undoubtedly have this competition down the pecking order but a 2-0 win away to MK Dons in the previous round shows that even with a squad consisting of back-up players and youngsters they are a match. I'm expecting to see a similar line-up here but even then Jurgen Klopp will be keen to set their attacking intent out from the first minute in front of a vibrant home crowd.

Arsenal will want to look to win any trophy with Liverpool and Manchester City looking so strong this season. Yes, qualification for the Champions League is a priority but Unai Emery will see how important winning this competition could be for the club. The 5-0 victory over Nottingham Forest in the previous round showed that the players used by Emery can deliver. The stand-out being talented striker Gabriel Martinelli.

The head-to-head record isn't great reading for Arsenal. It's now 9 matches without a win in this fixture for the Gunners. The last two encounters have seen Arsenal suffer two defeats and concede 8 goals. I'm expecting another goal-filled thriller but once again Arsenal will fall short. They continue to toil on the road and Liverpool are immense at home. It might be tight between two scratch sides but a home win seems the obvious outcome. If I was Emery, I'd field a first XI and go for the win. Not sure I can see that though.

Liverpool HT/FT @ 2.80 with Coral

Total Goals Scored Over 3.5 @ 2.28 with Unibet

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, @canaries91, @jazzman02, @sajtion, @Darran, @postmanplod69, @eddiem, @bartonbank, @yossa6133, @Teodore, @thinkpink63, @Carovie, @i1_principe, @MrJol, and @AndreBR.

Chelsea vs Manchester United

The second huge clash in the EFL Cup 4th Round will be found at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night when Chelsea play Manchester United in an 8:05pm GMT kick-off. These two teams have already met this season in the league where United claimed a fortuitous 4-0 win but the two clubs have gone down two very different form paths since that opening weekend match.

Chelsea look like a very exciting side under Frank Lampard. His faith in youth is paying off but he's keen to keep expectations grounded. It'll be interesting to see if he picks another strong side like he did for the 7-1 crushing defeat of Grimsby in the previous round. As a young manager himself, Lampard will be keen to win his first trophy and he'll see a fantastic opportunity to do that here.

Manchester United have been toiling as of late but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will see this as a nice escape from league action. The Red Devils struggled to get past Rochdale in the last round after a 1-1 draw and winning on penalties by a 5-3 score-line. It doesn't bode well for an away clash against a much-improved Chelsea side who are anticipated to field a strong side.

United hold the advantage in the recent head-to-head between these two sides. It's now four matches unbeaten for them against Chelsea. However, United have only won 1 of their last 11 visits to Stamford Bridge. I think Chelsea could make it a very difficult evening for United here. I can see Lampard picking a strong side and looking to really get some vengeance for that early season defeat.

Chelsea -1 @ 3.80 with Unibet

Chelsea HT/FT @ 3.25 with Coral

Everton FC vs Watford FC

Everton FC

Doubtful: Cenk Tosun (1/0 f), Yerry Mina (9/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Bernard (8/2 m), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (2/0 m)

Suspended: -

Watford FC

Doubtful: Kiko Femenia (7/0 d, illness)

Out (injuries/other): Etienne Capoue (6/0 m), Ismaila Sarr (5/0 f), Tom Cleverley (9/1 m), Isaac Success (2/0 f), Danny Welbeck (5/0 f), Troy Deeney (2/0 f, captain)

Suspended: -

Manchester City vs Southampton

Manchester City

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Oleksandr Zinchenko (7/0 d), Rodri Hernández (9/1 m), Aymeric Laporte (4/0 d), Leroy Sane (0/0 f)

Suspended: Fernandinho (6/0 m)

Southampton

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Cedric Soares (3/0 d), Moussa Djenepo (3/2 m)

Suspended: Ryan Bertrand (7/0 d)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Just a few fun bets in the Man City/Southampton game. I think that Southampton 0-9 defeat was a freak anomaly, fueled by the red card (which isn't an excuse for the level of self-destruction, but it was the biggest factor). Hasenhüttl is no idiot, Southampton's pressing numbers have been decent this season and if their players have anything about them at all, they'll give everything to try relieve some pressure on their talented German coach. They have to come out and try and give some show against a back 4 that contains the erratic Otamendi, 60-mins-of-top-flight-English-football Angeliño, and the 18 year old kid Garcia.

Taking that into consideration, I'm backing Southampton to have a go but (obviously) not get it all their own way, which reflects in the following bets:

Southampton to score and register 5 or more corners @  14/1 - Paddypower

Both teams to score, and both teams to register 2 or more corners in each half @ 18/1 - Paddypower

Edited by shrewd.

2 hours ago, shrewd. said:

Southampton to score and register 5 or more corners @  14/1 - Paddypower 

Southampton score?  

Southampton 5 corners?  4/5

Both teams to score, and both teams to register 2 or more corners in each half @ 18/1 - Paddypower

Both teams to score

City corners in the second half? 2 

City corners in the first half? 5 

Southampton corners in the second half? 4 

Southampton corners in the first half? 0 

A corner or two away from a juicy little night. Oh well, I had a nice run for my fun-stakes ? On to tomorrow. 

Edited by shrewd.

I am looking forward to an effective match at Anfield, with both goals and goals coming from both teams. The Reds have scored at least three goals in each of their last five home games against Arsenal. But Arsenal also have aggressive potential. They are experts in the cup. Just six days ago the Emirates players won a dramatic 3-2 win over Vitoria Guimaraes in Europe. Arsenal score easily and concede easy goals. It will be a match with many goals
LIVERPOOL FC vs ARSENAL FC @@ +2.50 Over, odds 1.55