** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League 2020

Fader

This gets started tomorrow. Gould somehow won it again last year and although nobody "really" takes it that seriously, the value is high because as usual the top of the market is dominated by players who perhaps are out of form or even less bothered. I'm going to take 3 in the outright market and then look into each outright group market on a week-by-week basis.

In the full outright market I'll take Bingham first. I said it in the Grand Prix thread but I see Bingham having a good period now and he may use this as a platform. He's done well here in the past, getting to the Semi-final CL3 and winning CL4 and he will go into this in week 2 where he will face the likes of Gary Wilson and Kyren Wilson along with losers from Week 1 that could include the likes of Jimmy Robertson and Day so you'd expect him to qualify for the finals.

Second up I'll go for Lisowski. This kind of tournament is perfect for pure talented potters. Lisowski got to the final of this last year and i really see him having a good chance of going well. Id of liked him to come into this in week 2 but perhaps he will play week 2 anyway (2-4th from week 1 go into week 2)

Finally, Maguire is a silly price for this. He didn't qualify last year but he made 3 semi-finals in a row (CL3/CL4/CL5) and he obviously has the break building ability to qualify. Anybody in the finals has a chance and at 66/1 it's overpriced

2pts S.Bingham to win Snooker Champions League 16/1 betfred
2pts J.Lisowski to win Snooker Champions League 18/1 coral
1pt E/W S.Maguire to win Snooker Champions League 66/1 ladbrokes

Just looking through Group A today/tomorrow. Neil Robetson, Selby, Lisowski, Jimmy Robertson, Hawkins, Brecel & Day. I get the feeling that Neil Robertson is going to be up for this as he hasn't got alot of snooker in recently. He's either been out due to sickness or he is driving to the wrong location. These next couple of days may see him open up abit and really put his foot on the throats. Unfortunetely, he is a 5/2 favourite and that's enough to put me off as he could also easily be quite rusty. Selby always does well in this event and I would imagine he would atleast make the Semi-finals tomorrow. He is a general 4/1 shot. Not for me.

Hawkins has played too much for my liking. Brecel and Day just not in the right potting form and Jimmy Robertson isn't in any kind of form atall so that leads me to take a risk with Lisowski (Despite having him on the outright also). I think if he can take the pressure off today and have fun then he could make the semi-finals along with Selby, Robertson etc and then who knows? these matches are a couple of hundred quid each for a win. Nobody should have any nerves atall. Purely for reasons of silly prices, I'll also take a small punt on Jimmy. Ultimately, you can lose a couple of matches here and still sneak through to the Semi-finals and at 25/1 that's just barmy.

1pt E/W J.Lisowski to win Group A 7/1 betway
0.5pts E/W J.Robertson to win Group A 25/1 ladbrokes

Bingham wins Group B to get into the finals (in March) N.Robertson won Group A. Great result for outright bet on Bingham.

Champions League finals line-up
N.Robertson (Grp1)
S.Bingham (Grp2)
G.Wilson (Grp3)
S.Donaldson (Grp4)
A.McGill (Grp5)
J.Trump (Grp6)
G.Dott (Grp7)

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this over the next 4 days. Group 3 is today and tomorrow. Here are the entrants :

Woollaston
Dott
Guodong
Ford

K.Wilson
G.Wilson
Selt

I think Kyren Wilson gets through this group with ease. There is no way he isn't making the Semi-Finals tomorrow. The problem is, once it gets to the Semi-finals anybody can beat anybody and that's where the value is, on the outsiders. I'll take Kyren at a pretty average price and an outsider each-way in Ben Woollaston. Tom Ford and Guodong are both tempting at big prices but both have been involved in the latter stages of the English Open and both have been pretty awful in this event. Woollaston at 10/1 is pretty big value for me.

4pts K.Wilson to win Group 3 11/4 betfred
2pts E/W B.Woollaston to win Group 3 10/1 bet365

Good call on Gary Wilson :) beats Kyren in the final. Kyren is looking really poor right now. His control of the cue ball is non-existant. I'm going to take Tom Ford in Group 4 which starts today and also Donaldson. We have Kyren Wilson in Grp 4 along with Perry, Dott, Ford, Selt, Ali Carter and Scott Donaldson. Of Those, I can't take Kyren Wilson again after that display. Perry has never performed well here. Selt and Carter are not in good enough form. So, Ford and Donaldson at big prices.

2pts T.Ford to win Grp 4 11/2 ladbrokes
1pt S.Donaldson to win Grp 4 12/1 betfred

6 minutes ago, notanotherdonkey said:

Gary Wilson was the stand out player in the group Stages and duly beat Kyren Wilson in the final 3-0.Unlucky Fader and a good solid selection but was beat by the better player on the day.

Yeah, this event suits gary wilsons game to a tee. I'll be looking at him for the main event if the price is right. Kyren was rubbish and still got to the final. His only good performances ironically was the 3-1 win against Gary Wilson in the group stage.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:38 AM, Fader said:

Good call on Gary Wilson :) beats Kyren in the final. Kyren is looking really poor right now. His control of the cue ball is non-existant. I'm going to take Tom Ford in Group 4 which starts today and also Donaldson. We have Kyren Wilson in Grp 4 along with Perry, Dott, Ford, Selt, Ali Carter and Scott Donaldson. Of Those, I can't take Kyren Wilson again after that display. Perry has never performed well here. Selt and Carter are not in good enough form. So, Ford and Donaldson at big prices.

2pts T.Ford to win Grp 4 11/2 ladbrokes
1pt S.Donaldson to win Grp 4 12/1 betfred

BOOM! Scottie Donaldson wins group 4 at 12/1. Fair play to Dott, who waited patiently for Donaldson. He got sick and they had to stop for about 30mins whilst at 2-0. Beautiful price.

• 2 months later...

Group 5 and 6 of the Championship League are played between the 6th-9th Jan. Here is the lineup for group 5 :

Group 5
A.McGill
D.Gilbert
M.Williams
T.Ford
J.Perry
K.Wilson
G.Dott

The first thing I notice with this group is that how many of these players are out-of-form. McGill, Gilbert and Williams come into this Championship League fresh, whilst Ford, Perry, Wilson and Dott all come through from previous group qualifications. Looking at oddschecker, it looks like Mark Williams could potentially pull out of this and make way for Bingtao. If that's the case, Bingtao is an interesting one.

Kyren Wilson isn't in the best kind of form right now. He's lost to Xintong, Donaldson, Fu, Hamilton and Ford to say the least in the past few months but he does tend to do well in this event where the pressure is off. He got to the semi-final of Group 2, the final of Group 3 and then the Semi-Final of group 4 and so you'd expect him to make the final 4. At 3/1 though, he doesn't do it for me.

I'm going to take a gamble on Dott. Dott didn't perform on his debut here in group 3 and was lucky to qualify for Group 4 but he did well and lost in a final to my tip, Scott Donaldson. It was a hard final to play that because Donaldson went out sick a good 2/3 times. At 15/2 he is my outsider for Group 5.

2pts G.Dott to win Group 5 15/2 betfred

Well that's annoying. I was quite tempted by McGill aswell as Dott and it's McGill that wins it. The next group starts today and it contains Dott, Williams, Perry and Gilbert from the previous group aswell as Trump, Higgins and Mark King.

I'm not sure how serious theplayers will take this with the Masters around the corner. 5 of the 7 are there next week. I'm going to take Joe Perry. I just think the other players have got "bigger fish to fry" Williams showed yesterday he really doesn't care. Trump and Higgins certainly dont need the money this tiny event provides and Perry played well yesterday, getting to the semi-finals. As a saver, I'll take a point on King. Nobody should be 22/1 in these events. It's quite stupid really as you'd only need to win 2/3 matches out of 6 and then fluke a couple of frames.

2pts J.Perry to win Group 6 9/1 bet365
1pt M.King to win Group 6 22/1 bet365

I'm also going to add 2 bets that I think are mistakes from Skybet. I don't usually tip up Skybet but in the current market for the Championship League Winner they have 2 players on 66/1 that are both qualified for the finals. Scott Donaldson and Anthony McGill. Everywhere else, they are offered at 10/12s which is the correct odds. For example, they have Gary Wilson at 8s who is also in the finals. How bizarre that Judd Trump is 4/1 and hasn't even qualified and yet two people in the finals are 66s. Yes please.

0.5pts E/W S.Donaldson to win The Championship League 66/1 skybet
0.5pts E/W A.McGill to win The Championship League 66/1 skybet

• 1 month later...

Group 7 starts tomorrow. Line-up as follows:

J.Higgins
M.Williams
D.Gilbert
G.Dott
R.Milkins
R.Walden
L.Haotian

Has to be the bottom two for me here. Haotian and Milkins. Both are good break builders when they get in and in this competition as we've seen anybody can go on a run and win it. Quite barmy to be offering 20/1 on Hoatian.

1pt R.Milkins to win Group 7 12/1 betfred
1pt L.Haotian to win Group 7 20/1 ladbrokes

So into the final and this is the line-up today :

Trump
N.Robertson
Bingham
G.Wilson
G.Dott
S.Donaldson
A.McGill

Obviously the top 2 are the big favourites here but he beauty is that 4 go to the semi-finals and from there anybody can win at a "first to 3" shown by Martin Gould who has won this a couple of times now. I already have Bingham, Donaldson and McGill for this. Wilson and Dott both have good chances and Dott is really in form from yesterday. I'll take a small bet on Gary Wilson as this event seems to suit his scoring

2pts G.Wilson to win Championship League 17/2 bet365

current historial bets
Bingham 16/1
Donaldson 66/1
McGill 66/1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, Fader said:

I'm also going to add 2 bets that I think are mistakes from Skybet. I don't usually tip up Skybet but in the current market for the Championship League Winner they have 2 players on 66/1 that are both qualified for the finals. Scott Donaldson and Anthony McGill. Everywhere else, they are offered at 10/12s which is the correct odds. For example, they have Gary Wilson at 8s who is also in the finals. How bizarre that Judd Trump is 4/1 and hasn't even qualified and yet two people in the finals are 66s. Yes please.

0.5pts E/W S.Donaldson to win The Championship League 66/1 skybet
0.5pts E/W A.McGill to win The Championship League 66/1 skybet

66/1 winner Scott Donaldson each way ? 

2020 snooker bets +63pts

Well done Fader I had a small bet on Dott in the semi final  and took him in the final as well as was playing with the bookies money for a bit of interest.I must admit I am not keen on the format with 4 out of the 7 players can get into the semi finals.I would prefer if the top two only for a final as it seems to give some players a second bite of the cherry.

Edited by notanotherdonkey

I have to admit on this occasion I love the format. Most of the time the "bottom 2" players are double digit odds and it's so random that anybody can win once you get to the semi-finals. The 66/1 on offer for Donaldson and McGill was a mistake though by Skybet

• Sir Puntalot changed the title to Champions League 2020