Announcements
*** New Last Man Standing Competition - Win up to £1500 Annually - See Competitions Forum ***
*** September Competition Winners: Well done to Mickyftm32 (NAPS/KO Cup), & Avongirl (Poker) ***
Sign in to follow this  
StevieDay1983

Championship Predictions > Oct 18th - 20th

Cardiff vs Sheffield Wednesday

This Friday night will see the Championship return to action after the international break and, surprisingly, once again it's my hometown team of Cardiff being shown on TV. On this occasion, it's against Sheffield Wednesday in a 7:45pm BST kick-off from the Cardiff City Stadium. Can the home side bounce back after their defeat in their last game or will the visitors make it back-to-back wins in the league?

Cardiff had started to build some momentum before the 4-2 loss away to West Brom. An unbeaten run came to an abrupt end but even away to the Baggies at 3-0 down the Bluebirds did well to come back to 3-2 and almost snatched a draw at the death before conceding a fourth. The one thing we always get with this Neil Warnock side is a fight to the death and a good old-fashioned ability to bounce back. The club currently sits in 11th place and just 4 points off the play-offs.

Sheffield Wednesday have been doing well under Garry Monk. The Owls have only lost 1 of his 5 league games in charge and are positioned in 8th place just 1 point outside the top six. The 1-0 win at home to Wigan just before the international break was just the reply needed to the previous 1-0 loss away to Hull. It's still 2 wins from 3 on the road for Monk's side since he took over.

I'm expecting a tough encounter in this one. Monk is like the nasty yeast infection that you can't get rid of. Not sure there are many more smug men in football. Warnock will relish the dust-up though. I'll have to back us to maintain our solid record at home in the Championship and I think if we don't win this game then I'll be very disappointed if we don't at least take a point. As always, under Warnock, I have to back us at home.

Cardiff to Win @ 2.31 with Marathonbet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.83 with Smarkets

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @Gidds, @chris50, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @rangers234, @newjack, @Kane91, @yossa6133, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Xcout, @branskie, @Wanderer89, @Hitch, @four-leaf, @trevor8, @OppoArchitizerLady, @Power90, @THEODORE-007, @KeyserSoze1, @Ulrik, @Rey86, and @the bastardian.

Cardiff City vs Sheffield Wed

Cardiff City

Doubtful: Joe Ralls (9/2 m, probably in)

Out (injuries/other): Isaac Vassell (2/1 f), Jazz Richards (0/0 d), Sol Bamba (0/0 d), Matthew Connolly (0/0 d)

Suspended: -

Sheffield Wed

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Tom Lees (5/0 d, captain), Joe Wildsmith (0/0 g)

Suspended: -

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

12 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Cardiff vs Sheffield Wednesday

This Friday night will see the Championship return to action after the international break and, surprisingly, once again it's my hometown team of Cardiff being shown on TV. On this occasion, it's against Sheffield Wednesday in a 7:45pm BST kick-off from the Cardiff City Stadium. Can the home side bounce back after their defeat in their last game or will the visitors make it back-to-back wins in the league?

Cardiff had started to build some momentum before the 4-2 loss away to West Brom. An unbeaten run came to an abrupt end but even away to the Baggies at 3-0 down the Bluebirds did well to come back to 3-2 and almost snatched a draw at the death before conceding a fourth. The one thing we always get with this Neil Warnock side is a fight to the death and a good old-fashioned ability to bounce back. The club currently sits in 11th place and just 4 points off the play-offs.

Sheffield Wednesday have been doing well under Garry Monk. The Owls have only lost 1 of his 5 league games in charge and are positioned in 8th place just 1 point outside the top six. The 1-0 win at home to Wigan just before the international break was just the reply needed to the previous 1-0 loss away to Hull. It's still 2 wins from 3 on the road for Monk's side since he took over.

I'm expecting a tough encounter in this one. Monk is like the nasty yeast infection that you can't get rid of. Not sure there are many more smug men in football. Warnock will relish the dust-up though. I'll have to back us to maintain our solid record at home in the Championship and I think if we don't when this game then I'll be very disappointed if we don't at least take a point. As always, under Warnock, I have to back us at home.

Cardiff to Win @ 2.31 with Marathonbet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.83 with Smarkets

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @Gidds, @chris50, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @rangers234, @newjack, @Kane91, @yossa6133, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Xcout, @branskie, @Wanderer89, @Hitch, @four-leaf, @trevor8, @OppoArchitizerLady, @Power90, @THEODORE-007, @KeyserSoze1, @Ulrik, @Rey86, and @the bastardian.

I also expect Cardiff to win and extend their good home record. Wednesday have had a fairly easy start in terms of opposition and I think we are in a false position. I hope i'm wrong though. I'll take Cardiff 2-0 at 10/1 betfred.

Edited by waynecoyne

11 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

:lol

For the benefit of transparency, I should add that the yeast infection I had was when my immune system was really low due to glandular fever and not contracted through any means of sexual intercourse... I think my position here has just become untenable after that sentence...

Aaaaaaanyway! @waynecoyne how are the early days under Monk going? As smug as I find him I can still appreciate he's more of a positive manager to have than a negative one.

18 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

For the benefit of transparency, I should add that the yeast infection I had was when my immune system was really low due to glandular fever and not contracted through any means of sexual intercourse... I think my position here has just become untenable after that sentence...

Aaaaaaanyway! @waynecoyne how are the early days under Monk going? As smug as I find him I can still appreciate he's more of a positive manager to have than a negative one.

i'm undecided-i can't get the whiff of dodgy agents from my nostrils. Winnall seems to be getting more game time (even though he's shite). Btw his agent is apparently the same as monk's.

Edited by waynecoyne

Blackburn vs Huddersfield

The second preview in this week's Championship thread is the 12:30pm BST kick-off this Saturday lunch-time between mid-table Blackburn and a Huddersfield side that might have turned a corner? The game is set to be played at Ewood Park and both teams will be keen to take all 3 points in an effort to ward off any early season pressure about being dragged into a relegation battle later on in the campaign.

Blackburn are in 14th place with 14 points from their 11 league games so far. It's been pretty standard stuff from Tony Mowbray's men up until now. 2 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses at home is an insight into how inconsistent their season has been. Unfortunately, it's now three league games without a win for Rovers and anything but a win here would extend that run without a victory causing seeds of concern to be planted. Conceding 7 goals in those 3 games is the biggest worry.

Huddersfield made the shrewd appointment of Danny Cowley and it appears their decision might be starting to be validated. Having gone the first 9 league games without a win including 7 losses out of the first 8 league matches they are now undefeated in their previous three league games. This includes back-to-back victories against Stoke and Hull. Is the Cowley factor now starting to take a hold?

This is a hard game to call. Huddersfield are starting to shows signs of fulfilling the potential of their talented squad. However, Blackburn remain a very tricky side to beat on their own patch with only Charlton and Luton managing to come away with wins. My concern is that Blackburn have only won 1 of their last 4 league games at home so I think I'm favouring Huddersfield or a draw. I think I have to back the Huddersfield draw no bet.

Huddersfield Draw No Bet @ 3.20 with 888Sport

BTTS @ 1.85 with Sportingbet

@StevieDay1983, The Monk comment was particularly funny when remembering the discussion you and @waynecoyne had on the new manager thread.

Waynecoyne had reported the Cowley brothers being 1/6 for the Wednesday job, he was particularly enthusiastic and hoped the club didn't bollox up the appointment. I think within 24 hours Monk was appointed :lol

It was bad comedy for the Wednesday fans as the Cowley brothers would have been great imo. Monk's modus operandi and business ethics are questionable by comparison. 

cardiff should win but i'm not confident in backing against monk side sheff wed. they will give as good as the get.

going for huddersfield to win and i really need them to continue their resurgence. blackburn always lets themselves down because the concede goals and they will probably do it again

barnsley are underdogs in their match only because of their terrible season form. i just cannot see it continuing after two week international break. they need to clear their heads and win. i will give them the benefit of doubt

stoke has got to build on their win last time. i don't expect a quantum leap from them but i think they can hold fulham to a draw

i fancy west brom to win. i can't work out middlesbrough. i don't know if they are trying to score or trying not to concede. the outlook of west brom and slaven bilic is create chances, score goals and win games. it makes sense hence they are leaders in the league.

i like preston to win. when reading is on their game they surprise everyone but when not they get outclassed and that's what preston can do

Wigan vs Nottingham Forest

Championship fans and punters are treated to a Sunday afternoon kick-off this week when Wigan host Nottingham Forest in a 2pm BST kick-off at the DW Stadium. The home side come into this game desperately needing a win to pull away from the relegation zone but they face a visiting team that is flying high and looking to extend an impressive unbeaten run.

Wigan currently sit in 20th place with 11 points from 11 league matches. The Latics are positioned just 2 points above the relegation zone so the situation is fairly precarious right now. Captain Sam Morsy is suspended for this game and that'll be a huge loss for Paul Cook's side. It's only 2 defeats in their last 6 matches but over a longer period the form book shows how much they're struggling with just 2 wins in their last 10 league games.

Nottingham Forest are really giving the promotion race a go this season. The Tricky Trees are in a rich vein of form of 10 league games without a loss. This spell of results has seen Sabri Lamouchi's men rise to 4th in the table with 22 points from 11 matches. A win by 3 goals or more here and it will send the team to the top of the table. Michael Dawson and Alfa Semedo are still unavailable for selection. Samba Sow is also injured.

Interestingly, Wigan have never lost a competitive home match against Nottingham Forest. In fact, the home record of Wigan in the league is quite prolific with the club only losing 1 of their last 15 home league games. However, Forest are unbeaten in six league matches against Wigan. Forest also haven't lost since the opening day of the season. I think this one could end in a draw and both teams will take that result.

Draw @ 3.40 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.87 with SportNation

Today i see Forest lost the game. Samba Show and Alfa Semedo are big problems of the center of the team. Tiago Silva has not the power to cover the absenties. I believe Wigan hit at the center of the pitch to cut off the centre from the attack lines. I see the first lost game after many matches today.