** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

IAAF World Championships (athletics)

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Just a quick one. I do have an athletics database so will update later this week. I have noticed Dwight Thomas is in cracking form and is going to peak here. Currently 20/1 with centrebet for the 100metres. I think Gatlin has it so for each-way value I would look here. You can get loads of form and stats at www.iaaf.org.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) To be honest, form is obviously a part of it, but the 100m expecially comes down to bottle in a big way. Powell is out anyway, but has struggled when it mattered and a prime example of what I mean. I gave Gatlin at a big price to win the 100m Olympics, but suggested each way as I thought he may struggle to beat 1 or 2, but sure enough a couple tied up and didn't produce their best and there are no second chances in the 100m. ;) I really like one bet, but am waiting for more prices to come out. :)

World Athletics 100m - Great Bet 5pts Each way Shawn Crawford (Each way 1/5 odds) @ 13.00 Paddy Power & Coral I have been hoping to get a bigger price, but eventually settled for 13.00 and put a very big bet on this in a laddys office today, as the internet limits were too small considering how much I like this bet. Laddys have cut him to 11.00 now, probably because of the size of the bet I put on. :lol Crawford is the current 200m Olympic Champion, but he was odds on to win the 100m event and I believe he is better at 100m. Gatlin is the 1.50 favourite, and I find that ridiculous. I backed Gatlin at around 17.00 I think it was to win the Olympics 100m and he did, but I was more thinking he was great value for a place and expected Crawford to be ahead of him. Gatlin has always been a better 200m runner than 100m, hence his big price to win the Olympics 100m. After winning the 100m I thought he may struggle mentally and physically to win the 200m as well, sure enough he finished 3rd, with Crawford taking gold. So here we have a bizarre situation. In my opinion, the best 200m runner wins the 100m, and the best 100m runner wins the 200m! Asafa Powell would have obviously been favourite, but I would have taken him on if he had been fit, as he has yet to prove he is a bigtime runner. It's ok running well in Grand Prix's anyone can do that, but can you run your best when it matters, in the Olympics and Worlds? Crawford has proved he can, and I believe he will cruise to the final and gain at least a place, in fact if he produces his Olympics 100m form, I believe he'll win it. Gatlin is obviously a danger, but we have huge value on our side here in the big price. There are other contenders, but they don't have the experience of Crawford. The 100m is all about bottle, if you tense up, you're not going to win. I believe Crawford will have learned an awful lot since he tensed up in the 100m, as it showed by him winning the 200m Gold. Come the final, I think Crawford will be a much smaller price and I believe he is a great bet at the prices. Crawford isn't in the 200m, whereas Gatlin and Obikwelu are in both, another important factor in his favour. :ok

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) I have placed my bet for the 100m without Gatlin on Dwight Thomas at 12/1 with paddy power (e-w) I would be well surprised if he is not in the top 4 ! Just looked at the Heptahlon and on the database has Kluft by miles. She did have an injury rumour knocking about so why not place a low wager on Hyleas Fountain. She has performed well this year and if Kuft is injured and Barber is not up to her best then she will be in the hunt for the medals. Our own Kelly Sotherton is improving all the time and will break some PBs but not enough and she has a weak Javelin which could let her down. Try Fountain at 25/1 with Stan James. Another good bet (maybe worth doubling up) is Andrianova in the womens 800m. She is the world leader and was touted as a possible champion in Athens 04. A lck of experience saw her perform badly but in her heats was very impressive. She has come on alot since and you can get 11/10 which I think is as good as your going to get.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) When you're in a down slump (I fell like I'm going to get moody again) the worst thing to possibly do is to continue betting. Me? I've put a £50 double on Paula Radcliffe to win the women's marathon at 'evens' and Justin Gatlin to win the men's 100 metres at 4/7 with William Hill. Oh dear. :eyes :lol

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Lalova is a good e.w.bet at 40/1 with Paddypower in the women's 100m. I think she ran under 10.8 last season and a repeat of that would probably be good enough to win as Arron is the fav at 5/2 but is a big time bottler. Also check out Blanka Vlasic in the high jump,she probably won't win but just check her out.:tongue2

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Great start for me so far, opposed Godina heavily in every matchup available in Shot Put, and had a small bet on Devetzi in Triple Jump @34 - now she is just 3/1. Hoping for more good results :):clap

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Just been on William Hill site and see they have an interesting price in the Womens 10,000m. Kidane of Ethiopia is 12/1 with 1/5 odds 1,2,3. Looking at this years times 3 Ethiopians are miles clear. Kidane being one of them. The Ethiopians will work as a team to get rid of the field and could be a fast race. Not one to put all your winnings on but great value for a few quid.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Stereo, Gatlin looks the best at the moment to me, but to be honest it's all about the final and everything before it is irrelevant. Gatlin was trading at 50.00 on Betfair 5 minutes before he won the 100m final at the Olympics - whoever has the most heart wins, but I couldn't take 1.33 on Gatlin despite him looking excellent so far. ;)

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) I remember Gatlin being a huge price before the off at betfair for the 100m at the olympics. I did think about throwing a few quid on but didnt bother. Having seen the heats and the q-finals I have to say I like the look of Leanord Scott. Looked smooth in his Q-final easing down and I believe he is the 3rd fastest in the world this year. Have gone for him ew at Lads at 8-1 1/4 1-2-3. A lot of firms go 10-1 but only offer 1/3 1-2. Have also backed him at 4-1 in the without gatlin market. Also for me, a bit of value in the womens triple jump of all places. Lebedeva is unbeaten this year and is the defending champion. In her last event in Oslo she had a spasm in her ankle, but still went on to win despite being in pain. The big question being will her ankle hold up. She scraped through her qualifying heat in 5th. Top 6 going through. But she did her first round jump, and although an average jump by her standards, passed on her 2nd and 3rd round jumps thinking she had done enough to go through, which she had done. Obviously wanting to save her ankle as much as possible. But I think at 2.3 she is worth a gamble as she will be going out all guns blazing for the win, if she does more damage to her ankle then so be it. But hopefully she can pop in that winning jump.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Have to agree PK, Scott has looked good but I feel he is no more than an ok price considering how little major event experience he has, which in my opinion, regarding 100m sprinting is essential. I'm still happy with Crawford, no pressure on him as nobody is really talkng about him. We'll know more after the semis in about an hour. ;)

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Just woke up, missed the 100 semis and final, but saw the highlights. Very surprised at Crawford, missed the break completely and just never got into it, finishing last. :eek Scott looked excellent in the semis, but went missing when it mattered and Gatlin showed his experience with a poweful finish. See Stereo, not too bad after all. ;)

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Dunno if they showed it on the highlights Paul but there were some problems with Crawford at the start of the semi. Couple of times the start was delayed, one of the officials was right behind him and the race judge came and spoke to him before the actual start. Not sure what the problem was but he did walk off and speak to someone at the side of the track after the race.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) 10pts Win Xiang Lui - Mens 100m Hurdles @ 4.00 Blue Square Ok, so here we have the Olympic Champion, the joint world record holder (With Colin Jackson) which he ran in the Olympic final and he's 4.00??? The favourite is the frenchman Doucoure, he has had a couple of victories in Grand Prix's, but when it mattered most, he clipped a hurdle and finished last in the Olympic final despite being a big medal contender. Experience counts for a lot, and knowing how to win a major title counts for even more. The Chinese olympic champions has these qualities and should no way be as high as 4.00.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) I also done Lebedeva in the triple jump, went back to my docket on lads web page to find that the bet was a losing bet. Phones Ladbrokes to ask why it was not a void bet . They tried to explain that athletics betting is different to any other betting like horses, golf etc. So i said i was'nt happy about this because nowere on there site do they say this when placing the bet so they said fair enough and gave me a full refund. Result.... Then with my refund i put a bet on Francis Obikwelu for the 200m , only for him not to even take part in the heats, so back on the phone again explained what had happened and the guy starts to explain that athletics is different so thur the same about not having a rules and regulations on betting on there web page and the guy says was i speaking to u the other day....oooppppps. But fair play to him he gave me a full refund on it saying that he could'nt not give me refund after giving me refund on the last bet that did'nt happen. So no more bets on the athletics for me after me scuding the only 2 bets i done for the week.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Bookies generally don't have a 'non-runner, no bet' policy in regards to athletics as it's generally an 'all in compete or not' type thing. Ladbrokes' rules state: Bets are accepted ‘All in compete or not’ and if an athlete is withdrawn before they have taken part in the event (in any way), your bet is a loser. If the event is advertised ‘Non runner no bet’, stakes will be refunded on an athlete withdrawn prior to the start of an event. Consider yourself extremely lucky, you got a refund at all as Ladbrokes didn't put it a disclaimer at the bottom or top of their betting odds. I wouldn't try doing that trick with William Hill though! All you'll get is an unsympathetic ear! :lol

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Thnx for ur reply to my post, i don't normally bet much im more a poker player on there site. I will only have a bet if im pretty well clued on something. Anywho i have found ladbrokes to b very fair when it comes to refunds and stuff like that. After not recieving a refund on my 1st bet i asked a poker manager that was watching my table and explained to him. He then said he did'nt think that was fair and asked me how much i had bet. He then said that a full refund had been put into my poker account. So got up the next morning phoned lads again to say that they should have rules and regulations on the web site about athletics betting so got a refund aswell, which was nice. BTW were did u get the rules from ?

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Was just laughing my head off:rollin Johnson thought he broke the world record by 2 seconds, his arms were in the air, he thought he done it. but that 10.94 is virtually impossible to get over hurdles, time was shown before he even finished!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Where did I get the rule from? Help --> Bet rule --> Sports --> Athletics Surprised that Dutch guy won the pole vault (I've no idea what odds he was). Walter Davis surprises a few folks with a comeback of sorts in the triple jump. Justin Gatlin showed that experience counts in the 200 metres as does Michelle perry in the 100 metres hurdles.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Heard on TV the Dutch guy has been getting result all year, although a win surprised everyone. In fact, some disciplines turned into a lottery, today for example womens discus. heard an interview with Cehlova (all year best results) and she admitted the wind was really unpredictable so she had to take risks in each attempt. Pole vault - the rain and wind affected this discipline in the decathlon on Wednesday and the same probably happened today (didn't watch the whole thing). Michelle Perry was a worthy winner, although she was helped a bit by a fall of one of her challengers. No idea who might win the 110 m hurdles, but IMO Xiang Lui looks a bit out of it - would like a bit higher odds after the semis.

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics)

No idea who might win the 110 m hurdles' date=' but IMO Xiang Lui looks a bit out of it - would like a bit higher odds after the semis.[/quote'] I feel the fluctuation in odds for athletics is just absolutely crazy - Liu Xiang was trading in the 4's before the heats, dropped to 3.25-3.75 after the heats and is now up to 6-8 after the semis. Quite honestly, I don't see what has changed and besides starting the race in lane 2, I don't see much that's going to affect his race at all. For the heats, Doucoure chalked up 13.86s, Johnson 13.92s and Liu Xiang 13.73s. In the semis, Doucoure chalked up 13.35s, Johnson 13.23s and Liu Xiang 13.42s. Their best timings for 2005 are as follows : Doucoure chalked up 12.97s, Johnson 12.99s while Liu Xiang registered 13.05s. Personal best are as follows : Doucoure 12.97s, Johnson 12.92s and Liu Xiang 12.91s(WR). Quite simply, there's nothing to suggest the difference between the trio is any more than basic human reaction time and as far as I'm concerned(and strictly looking at timings alone), they've all got just as good a chance at winning this race. That said, experience in major events can only help one's confidence and Liu Xiang's Athens experience can only serve him well IMO(and if experience was a factor, Doucoure is probably at the biggest disadvantage). Therefore, anything at prices of 6.00-8.00 for Liu Xiang has certainly got to be worth a shout... :tongue2

Re: IAAF World Championships (athletics) Granted Xiang didn't look great, but bear in mind there was a false start in that hear and that puts everybody one step back, and also athletics is about finals, and this guy has a proven record, whereas Doucoure does not (last in Oly final). If I'm honest, Trammell looked very good, if he gets a quick start and a clean round, he's gonna be tough to catch, but he lacks experience that Johnson and Xiang have. ;)